PDA

View Full Version : Phone cradles - poor range

tribester
09-09-2008, 11:41 PM
I've got the phone prep low which works fine with my Nokia E51 - found the software from Nokia that allows me to sync the phonebook with the MMI which is very handy. Next mission is to find a cradle that'll allow me to make use of the neat rooftop aerial and charge the phone. BUT....the Audi list of available cradles doesn't include Nokia's wunderkind businesphone aka my E51.

Two questions:
What's Audi's track record of introducing new cradles?
Anyone know is the E50 or E60 (for which cradles are available) are close enough that the E51 will fit??? (faint hope...)

Cheers
Tribester

awtaylor
10-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Sorry it doesn't help your situation but I just picked up genuine as good as new Audi phone cradle for my 6230i off eBay for £3.21 plus postage:D

Definitely worth checking first (assuming your model is supported) before handing over another £100 to Audi.

Issac Hunt
10-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Audi's track record of cradle development is absolutely terrible! Many dealers dont even know which ones are currently available.

I gave up looking for one for mine and just use the bluetooth connection for phone calls. OK it doesnt charge the phone, but a in-car charger for a fiver solved that problem!

Andy27902
10-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Just had my business phone upgraded from a E50 (which did not like the A4 phone prep much at all) to a E51. Unfortunately, the docking connectors are completely different between the two models so I don’t believe that you can use an E51 in a E50 cradle.

tribester
11-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks all. I've taken the advice and am bidding on eBay for a cradle for a trusty old Nokia 6310i...Audi don't do a cradle for the E51.

So now all I need is either to give up on the E51 or get a duplicate sim card...

The car just gets better and better - now approaching 50mpg...

bealem
13-09-2008, 05:14 PM
I have phone prep high and an E51. I have to copy all my numbers to my sim and then they work with the car.

Can you let me know the name of the nokia software you use?

tribester
13-09-2008, 05:26 PM
If you go to www.nokia.com (http://www.nokia.com) and find the Nokia 810 Contacts Downloader you can install it on your phone from your PC. Works a treat.

Raoul_Duke
25-09-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm looking at picking up a new Samsung Omnia phone, it's very similar to the Tocca.

What are the chances of being able to get a cradle and this phone being compatible with the A4 bluetooth?

I'm not sure whether it's BT High or Low I have, how do I tell the difference?

tribester
25-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi,
if it's a new phone, as in recently launched, pound to a penny Audi don't do a cradle. But worth asking your local dealer. Mine had a list of supported phones.
My guess is that if the Omnia has bluetooth it'll sync with the car. It took me and three others about 15 mins to make the Nokia E51 sync and then all of a sudden it was fine...that's bluetooth for you!
From the A4 brochure:
Order code PT5: Mobile telephone preparation – Low. In front centre armrest. Uses Bluetooth interface or cradle to connect to your A4, including roof aerial for optimal reception. Includes centre armrest for Standard trim models. A phone cradle is required for charging your phone, at extra cost. (note not available on SE or S-line apparently)
Order code 9ZW: Mobile telephone preparation – High. Uses Bluetooth interface with no physical connection to your A4, including roof aerial for optimal reception. Please note that your mobile phone must have SIM-Access Profile facility for full functionality (only in combination with Satellite Navigation system Plus) - note not available on standard but is available on SE & S-line.

Confused? I am...I've got an SE (ex-demo) but was told I had LOW...

jakerade
22-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Apparently Audi are discontinuing all cradles with the exception of the rSAP cradle which is £300.

I have just built myself a cradle for my HTC Tytn. I bought a 6310i cradle on ebay and then dismantled it and soldered a generic antenna connector to the motherboard which connects to the back of the Tytn.

I had to disable the power to the cradle by using some gather tape over some of the pins as the bluetooth doesnt work with the phone connected to the antenna.

Combine this with a charger in the centre armrest power socket i now have charging and 2-3 bars of extra signal wherever i go!

Regards

Jake