PDA

View Full Version : Passat Chrome window trim

happygu73
09-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows whats best to clean the chrome window trims on the Passat?

Mine has gone very dull and discolored and nothing I have tried seems to work.

any advice would be great!

cheers

jonsey24
01-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Try baby oil on a microfibre cloth, i had the same issue when i bought my B6 Passat, it came up really well and seems to put a protective coat over the chrome trim.

I use it on our stainless steel Hob and Extractor hood in the kitchen it works a charm

happygu73
02-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks jonsey24

Very much appreciate the reply.

Its really bugged me that I cant get it to come up well so I will try the baby oil this week and see how I get on.

Thanks for your help.

Col
06-03-2009, 07:22 PM
You really need to polish them up.

Use a cutting compound or even good old fashioned T cut to remove the watermarks from them.

You'll probably find you will need to use both. I've used Farecla G3 with good results.

Once done keep them well waxed and you should not get the same problem again.

happygu73
06-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks BigCol,

Appreciate that, they have never looked right since I bought the car and the previous owner kept it parked under trees so its as dull as a very dull thing.

Will use some light cutting compound and get them right once and for all.

cheers

Epoch
06-03-2009, 10:09 PM
I'd personally not want to use anything abrasive on the chrome trim, so would avoid G3, T cut etc.

Baby oil might be worth a try as stated, but a chemical cleaning product the likes of Klasse AIO would be my choice.

Something easy to get in Halfords might be Megs DC01 paint cleanser which is non abrasive IIRC. I have some so will try this weekend and post up.

Col
06-03-2009, 10:29 PM
I'd personally not want to use anything abrasive on the chrome trim, so would avoid G3, T cut etc.

Baby oil might be worth a try as stated, but a chemical cleaning product the likes of Klasse AIO would be my choice.

Something easy to get in Halfords might be Megs DC01 paint cleanser which is non abrasive IIRC. I have some so will try this weekend and post up.

Good luck with that. I tried all the normal methods and would be interested on how you get on.

The trim is ali and I found I had to polish the tarnish out when I had the Passat. Only had to do it it once though and made sure they were well waxed.

Just done the same on my new (to me) 2005 A6 roof rails. Even Autosol wouldn't touch it. I ended using G6 (rapid cutting paste) then G3 on a drill mounted mini mop. It was the only way.

Epoch
06-03-2009, 10:38 PM
^^ I have some of the BriLiant range of polishes also to try if necessary but would hope to not have to use a metal polish.

I would have thought the trim was coated from the factory and that TFR's etc would be causing damage to this and the majority of tarnishing.

I don't know but will report back i only got the Passat this week.