PDA

View Full Version : Stone Chip (Windscreen) Help!

CN1
09-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi,

I would be interested to get people's views on this. I picked up a car that was sold to me as an Ex Demomstrator 2 weeks ago (spec should be at the bottom), but it turned out to be a 2 owner car. It was a demo for 3 weeks, then someone bought it and returned it...:zx11:

Anyway, more mony was haggled off for that! When I picked the car up there was a big (1 pound coin size) series of cracks from a stone/similar, which I had not noticed before. They have had thisn repaired by Autosomeone, but I am not happy with thre results (you can still see cracks, there is a buble in the middle, the glass is opaque (sp?) etc).

They say its not an MOT failure, and its guaranteed. However I am not happy this is on the car, given it 'should be' an ex demo, it had only done 2800 miles, its six months old etc.

The only thing the audi centre manager has suggested he will do is pay the excess if I claim for the windscreen on my insurance. They say there is no money left in the car to replace it (the windscreen).

I would post pics, but they don't turn out to well. What would guys do and where do you think i stand?

Thanks C

audibaz
09-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Hard to say but my first impression would be to go back to the dealer and sit there with your car blocking access to the showroom until they give in and repair the car. To say there is no more money in the car to fix it is stupid would they say the same if the engine wouldn't start the day you go to pick it up i think not.

Second are you sure you don't get free replacement for the windscreen on your insurance. I have just been to France where mine was smashed one night by someone and i paid for it to be replaced and my insurance will reimburse me the money and it will not affect my insurance the second time i have had it done. This would be the quickest stress free way of doing it.

B6Andy101
09-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Audi Approved :

Should the multi-point check highlight any irregularities, we will undertake rectification work, ensuring the car meets our meticulous standards before it reaches the forecourt. Most importantly, we only use Audi Original parts.

Suggest you get them to replace the windscreen with a new Audi Original Part.

Give 'em both barrels.

Issac Hunt
09-09-2008, 08:10 PM
If its not an MOT fail it could be hard to get them to change it. I would take his offer of covering your excess and get it done under insurance - it doesnt affect your no-claims bonus.

You can still ask for a genuine Audi screen as well, no need for aftermarket parts. I did this with my A4 a few months ago.

CN1
09-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks for your replies. I would be OK with the replacement screen on the insurance, just not sure if that poses any issues? i.e. someone has 'repaired' the screen, but I now want them to replace, for what reason...?

The following may help, and I will go back with that quote, the sales guy tried to tell me they only checked mechanical parts during the check...

- Audi Approved :

Should the multi-point check highlight any irregularities, we will undertake rectification work, ensuring the car meets our meticulous standards before it reaches the forecourt. Most importantly, we only use Audi Original parts.

audibaz
09-09-2008, 09:00 PM
My windscreen was deliberately broken by someone in France i told the Insurance company a stone hit it and i needed it replaced they said fine. A little change to the original truth saved me the hassle of them getting me to report to the French police etc etc.

Just tell insurance company it has large cracks in it from road debris or just hit it with a hammer before you go into get it repaired if your worried.;)

bluestar_ale
09-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Just tell insurance company it has large cracks in it from road debris or just hit it with a hammer before you go into get it repaired if your worried.;)

Does this site endorse insurance fraud?????

audibaz
09-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Last part was a joke sorry if it could get misconstrued. Just to clarify it is a joke hence the cheeky wink.

audibaz
09-09-2008, 09:22 PM
For anyone interested this is the damage done to my car thank god for free windscreen cover on the insurance.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b192/bazzaldon/da031501.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b192/bazzaldon/b492f73d.jpg

Issac Hunt
09-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Its hardly fraud is it?!! Mine had a small chip in it but I didnt want it bodging - I wanted a new screen so I just tapped the chip with my hand until it grew into a crack large enough to warrant replacement of the screen.

mkc
10-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Another reason not to go to France. I went to watch the Monaco Grand Prix a number of years a go, went by Coach. I set foot in France once when I got off the coach in Lyon for a turn out in some flea pit hole in the floor............