PDA

View Full Version : car shakes violently

gregpaterson
30-01-2007, 05:31 PM
last night while driving home i accellerated a bit too quickly the esp light came on there was a popping sound then the car started to shake and judder even in neutral when i opened the bonnet the catalytic converter was glowing red hot i think it has started misfiring is this common

car is a 52 plate A4 1.8T automatic 163 ps not a quattro

also phoned local audi main dealer who want to charge £65.00 per hour is thiat a reasonable hourly rate:1zhelp:

Huweth
30-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Are you sure it was the catalytic converter and not the turbo?

Dave Avant
30-01-2007, 09:53 PM
I've done trackdays in tubo'd cars and have had the bonnet up in the pits and not seen any bit glowing red hot, maybe possible, but it would have to be an extreme like a long hard accelleration.

Are you sure its definately the cat, if so it could be blocked and gases are being forced through it raising the temp. How does the car drive otherwise, is the power still there?

Also if its misfiring, unburnt fuel can be sent down the exhaust onto the hot cat raising the temp further. Could be a plug, hard to say.

gregpaterson
31-01-2007, 07:28 PM
thanks guys its definately the cat glowing like you say it could be straight fuel going into exhaust system but its a definite misfire i have an independent mechanic who comes highly recomended coming to look at it tommorrow fingers crossed ill let you know the outcome:( :aargh4:

Teutonic_Tamer
01-02-2007, 04:29 PM
If it is as bad as you say, then it should have stored some fault codes

Rgds

gregpaterson
01-02-2007, 07:12 PM
i have been told that one of the coil pack has failed nobody has answered my question is £65 a reasonable hourly rate?

Dansk
01-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Yes it is my dealer in Bradford W Yorks charges £110 per hour so yours is cheap.

onzarob
01-02-2007, 07:17 PM
£65 sounds high to me but then again I don't use dealerships. ring a few other audi dealers and see what they charge even if they are not local.

Rob :biglaugh:

Dave Avant
01-02-2007, 07:17 PM
i have been told that one of the coil pack has failed nobody has answered my question is £65 a reasonable hourly rate?

Its the going dealer rate, but I would charge you £20ph :D . Can you search for an Independant near you, they will be around £25ph. Coil pack shouldn't take more than an hours labour!! Not familiar with your engine, but most engines have a coil on each plug and are dead easy to change, you have to remove them to change the plugs. Usually a couple of small bolts, unplug it, pull off spark plug, fit new one!! I would seriously attempt DIY exhange!! Help is here to guide you!! :beerchug:

Dave Avant
01-02-2007, 07:18 PM
I'll have a ganders for you at home!!

gregpaterson
01-02-2007, 07:54 PM
im so sorry i should have mentioned the car has gone in for repair at an independent garage i was just quereying the main dealer rates to see how they compare elsewhere

nigelpetler
01-02-2007, 11:10 PM
hi there if your cat was glowing then it could well be one of the plates inside that has moved and it would cause a sort of miss fire as the gases arnt getting through and it could well lose power as well

Dave Avant
02-02-2007, 12:02 PM
If the cat was bunged up the car would mainly feel constapated and wouldn't cause a misfire. At worst it may put the Engine light on as the gases would get backed up.

Teutonic_Tamer
02-02-2007, 12:37 PM
If the cat was bunged up the car would mainly feel constapated and wouldn't cause a misfire.

I feel the need . . . the need for . . . automotive Senokot!!! :D

At worst it may put the Engine light on as the gases would get backed up.

There is now a dedicated "emissions" warning light on the dash, as well as the genenric MIL light. It will still store fault codes even if no warning light was illuminated.

Rgds

Dave Avant
02-02-2007, 01:13 PM
I feel the need . . . the need for . . . automotive Senokot!!! :D

There is now a dedicated "emissions" warning light on the dash, as well as the genenric MIL light. It will still store fault codes even if no warning light was illuminated.

Rgds

:D

Pitty there isn't a Senokot light!! Neighbours diesel Merc got bunged up cats, had to have a new system as its a one piece as most are now, £1200!!

gregpaterson
02-02-2007, 04:12 PM
thanks guys problem solved one of the coils has definately gone dunno how it caused the cat to heat up but it did i hope the cat is ok i suppose i will find out at MOT

could some one tell me i heard there was a recall some years back regarding the coil packs is it true

Dave Avant
02-02-2007, 04:27 PM
thanks guys problem solved one of the coils has definately gone dunno how it caused the cat to heat up but it did i hope the cat is ok i suppose i will find out at MOT

That will be the unburnt fuel from the misfiring cylinder hitting the cat and probably igniting, heating it further. This can lead to the cat 'melting' causing it to block. But if you got the misfire sorted quickly then it should be fine, this is why it says in the handbook to get a misfire checked out quickly. I've seen cars driving round with very noticable misfires and just think you maybe wasting fuel and have reduced power thinking you'll take to a garage at the weekend, but at the same time you're risking a few hundred pound bill for a new cat.

Just last week a collegue said his car was getting hot, I said have you checked the water, he said where do I check it? :aargh4: Then today he said his car was making a noise, had a look and it was a 'flicking' sound coming from the cambelt area, luckily there is a garage next door to work and told him to get it checked - turns out the belt had half snapped, a the torn piece was slapping the cover!! v lucky!!