PDA

View Full Version : Mk5 window opened itself

jerryd
08-09-2008, 08:48 PM
My July registered Mk5 1.4 TSi DSG (08 plate) has been a great car until tonight when I parked it in the road for half an hour, only to return to find the drivers electric window was fully open :confused:

I know the window was not open when I parked it.

Is this a known issue with these cars?

Intermittant faults are rarely found by main dealers but should I take it to them anyway?

I'm concerned about security, potential vandalism and possible rain damage if this happens again.

Any ideas what I can do? :(

a8 tech
08-09-2008, 08:52 PM
code out convience open/closing

jerryd
09-09-2008, 06:26 PM
OK but why did the window open itself? Surely the convience open/closing cannot open a window in a parked car?

a8 tech
09-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Water gets into the door multi plug connection and causes a resistive circuit.Just code it out and it will stop it or take it up with your vw dealer as i can offer no more answers unless you are accidentally pressing the remote fob

descb600f
10-09-2008, 10:19 AM
How can you do this using the fob.
GF had my car a bit ago and came back after work to find both the windows open.
Was a nice day so it was not water getting in.

sootyscottie
10-09-2008, 10:27 AM
How can you do this using the fob.
GF had my car a bit ago and came back after work to find both the windows open.
Was a nice day so it was not water getting in.

hold down the open button on the key fob until the windows open

hold down lock until windows close

descb600f
10-09-2008, 10:31 AM
I take it this is after you have locked the car??

How long I gave this a quick try but maybe I was not patient enough?

EDIT: just been out to play ta for that.

jerryd
10-09-2008, 05:59 PM
This is interesting, I've just tried the fob function as explained above (opening and closing the windows) and it works!. However (see first post), my car was locked on the fob as I walked away yet the drivers window was open when I returned (door was still locked). That doesn't happen on the fob does it?

A bit worrying I must say. :mad:

descb600f
11-09-2008, 12:25 PM
No your right and if you hold down the open button it opens the car and then the windows.

How old are you maybe it's just senility setting in lol

sootyscottie
11-09-2008, 12:31 PM
This is interesting, I've just tried the fob function as explained above (opening and closing the windows) and it works!. However (see first post), my car was locked on the fob as I walked away yet the drivers window was open when I returned (door was still locked). That doesn't happen on the fob does it?

A bit worrying I must say. :mad:

What about this scenario.

Park car.Lock with button and walk away. When your keys are in your pocket, something presses the open button and holds it down and the car unlocks and the windows open. The car has the auto lock function were if a door isnt opened in 30 secs or something, it will automatically lock itself again.

Could be possible....i have heard of stranger things:D

elPaulio
11-09-2008, 12:38 PM
The is the likely cause in most cases, something holding it down in your pocket.

BUT... Jerry said that the drivers window was open. that would open all windows!!

Sounds like the VAG window gremlins have been let loose again!!
I would go with A8's suggestion, as he knows uber lots and it would make sense!!

Paul :biglaugh:

descb600f
11-09-2008, 04:09 PM
OOHHHH i forgot about that

jerryd
11-09-2008, 06:54 PM
So you're saying I locked the car and as I walked away I accidentally had the unlock button pressed. This unlocked the car and opened the window but the car re-locked itself as the door was never opened.

Flippin 'eck, perhaps I am going senile......................:p

sootyscottie
11-09-2008, 07:12 PM
So you're saying I locked the car and as I walked away I accidentally had the unlock button pressed. This unlocked the car and opened the window but the car re-locked itself as the door was never opened.

Well its just a theory :biglaugh:

elPaulio
12-09-2008, 07:42 AM

And that would only be the case if all of your windows were open.
If it was only one then the car has done it itself :banghead:

Paul :biglaugh:

sootyscottie
12-09-2008, 04:11 PM
What about this scenario.

Park car.Lock with button and walk away. When your keys are in your pocket, something presses the open button and holds it down and the car unlocks and the windows open. The car realises that all the windows and doors are open and decides to lock /close them as it is a VAG car, and very clever. Just as the car decides to put the windows up and lock the doors, a scally wag is walking past and see the open windows and an ideal opportunity for some thieving action. As the young scally leans in the car to see what he can grab, the windows start to go up by afore mentioned clever vag car. Having the safety feature of the roll back, the car realises there is an obstruction and winds the drivers door window down again. Scally wag gets a sore head and runs of crying ,having been taught a lesson , and the car is so busy sitting back and admiring its handy work that it forgets to close the drivers window.

I think now this is the obvious explanation to what has happened. :D

:beerchug:

jerryd
12-09-2008, 08:14 PM
There are some great ideas here.....................:boggled::D

However, my handbook says "Convenience opening of the electric windows can have the opening function activated for the drivers door only"

Perhaps my car is set up for this function, I'll go check tomorrow. :confused: