PDA

View Full Version : Golf TDI mk4 - Boot sensor problem!

Jujuman
30-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi All,

I've recently bought a Golf TDI Mk4 130. As of mid last week the luggage compartment sensor has malfunctioned causing the warning alarm to sound constantly with a unbelievably annoying and high pitched beep. I've had to turn my stereo up to compensate which is making me slighty deff. It also sets the main alarm off, probably due to the computer thinking the boots been left open (I was woken up twice last night, as were my neighbours!!).

Has anyone come across this problem before? Or perhaps have a decent knowledge of the door mechanism?

Cheers
Jim

s4k1b
10-02-2007, 01:25 AM
ive got the same problem!!!!

i think ive figured it out

it only happens wen i jet spray the rear window. so maybe a crack in the water tubing inside that goes 2 the jet. im guna chek it out but its too wintry at the mo.

dont wash wipe ur rear window and then tell me if it still happens!!

michutchinson
30-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Jim, I've the same problem with my Mark 4 130 TDI! the "luggage compartment" light on the dash appears, teling me that its open when its clearly shut when im driving along! I havent come across any solution at present and now my rear wiper has stopped working too. I am pretty sure that this is linked but am not certain. Has anyone any solutions to this as its is driving me crazy aswell!:aargh4: :1zhelp: Any comments would be much appreciated!

Mic

Jujuman
31-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Hey Mic,

I had my Mechanic disconnect the sensor that tells me there's a problem. Probably not the best solution, but ignorance is bliss. However, my rear wiper still works.

I think what's causing the problem is the tube to the rear washer has a split and is leaking into the sensor box causing corrosion. Which means the boot door would need to be pulled apart to get at it. So it might be more trouble than it's worth.

Let me know if you get it fixed!

Cheers

Jim

Sion Winter
26-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Hi Guys
Ive had exactly the same problem with my mark4 golf gt tdi, I took it to my local vw dealer and they told me that the tube for the rear washer runs through the motor for rear wiper and eventually it splits leaving water leakin into the motor and boot sensor.
I thought the cheapest solution was too not use my rear washer and hope the problem went away but over the weeknd my alarm was sounding while I was driving my car and its nackered my interior lighting and my electric windows which no longer work!! my alarm led light on the drivers door also constantly flashes even when im driving it, I had the motor and boot catch replaced y'day and im now told im probably gunna need a new ecu as the alarm/in lighting/elec windows still dont work!
Absolute nightmare and I recommend u nip it in the bud as soon as you realise theres a problem
Hope this helps
Sion Winter

tonyleach
27-11-2008, 01:18 PM
disconnect the tailgate alarm switch off the catch the central locking still works etc anyway so no great loss

Michelin
27-11-2008, 08:48 PM
http://www.carbasics.co.uk/vw_golf_mk4_rear_screen_washer_repair.htm

check that link out thats what you need to do its a common fault with them

shrapnel
13-12-2008, 11:18 AM
I have same problem myself, im waiting for RAC to come and sort it out. Im just gonna ask him to switch of sensor to boot or disconnect it somehow ALARM keeps going of and well you all know the hassle. I took panel of boot as said but didnt see any blue corrosion or water but the little black connector that holds the tube on to the motor was very unstable so im guessing its thats the problem spraying water somewhere, anyway i will let you all know what the RAC man does to fix it ok...

xenon
13-12-2008, 12:49 PM
I have same problem myself, im waiting for RAC to come and sort it out. Im just gonna ask him to switch of sensor to boot or disconnect it somehow ALARM keeps going of and well you all know the hassle. I took panel of boot as said but didnt see any blue corrosion or water but the little black connector that holds the tube on to the motor was very unstable so im guessing its thats the problem spraying water somewhere, anyway i will let you all know what the RAC man does to fix it ok...
Easy to disconnect yourself. Remove the panel from inside the boot lid(as you have already done) and disconnect the 3 pin plug from the boot lid latch. You'll lose your boot light though :-(
I have read that the middle wire on that plug is for the 'boot lid open' indicator. It is possible to open up the plug and remove the middle wire thus having not to cut the wire. Insulate the disconnected wire and plug back in to the latch. Hopefully the boot light will still work.
Over time, the switch will probably get corroded if the leak isn't stopped and you'll get no boot lid open warning or boot light and you'd have to replace the boot lid latch. Hope this helps.

shrapnel
15-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Well the rac man unpluged the 3 pin sensor which stopped alarm going off, Here is what i done to fix it myself.
Covered the water hose spray plug in insulating tape and then covered in clear sealent to water proof it, then done the same with the 3 pin connector and its sorted dry as a bone cost £5 for sealent.
Thanks for post xenon as i only just read it LOL after i sorted it out.

thompson
31-12-2008, 05:59 PM
my mk 4 golf has done the same thing. only differance is lamp goes out when brake pedal is pressed and comes bk on when brake pedal is let off. ne idea's

narey
07-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Xenon and shrapnel,

Is it the panel on the tailgate beside the lock that needs to be removed in order to cover the water hose spray plug or the panel within the boot itself.

Presumably the panel on the tailgate.

Same thing happened to me last night.

shrapnel
07-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Yes mate the whole big plastic panel with the 2 screws in the handgroves. You have to give it a tug to get the thing of but it does come off, if you read my post on how to fix it you will be sorted as it seems to worked fine me;)

Mathematics
09-07-2013, 09:21 PM
I have the same problem, however when I remove the 3 pin plug I still get the warning message?Any ideas if this is still the switch please?

geoff eeles
20-07-2013, 11:49 PM
the micro switch in it has probably gone. sometimes water from the rear wiper leaks on it (which could mean your rear wiper motor is also faulty and will eventually fail). They are both easy to replace yourself. I did mine (both) in an hour.