PDA

View Full Version : VW Passat Headlight Converter switch

ianadie
10-08-2005, 04:20 PM
I have a RHD Volkwagen Passat first registered in 2002. I will be travelling in Europe shortly and need to adjust my headlights so as not to dazzle oncoming drivers. Can anyone point me to instructions for carrying out this procedure?

stuart
10-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Hi

Thanks for joing and posting on the site :)

This question has been asked before, and can be done ;) please see the following thread:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=449

Hope this helps

Stuart

shanda
24-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Hi, I have a VW Passat R reg. MOT failed because headlamp are pointing low. Can not adjust because the leveler is worn out and have been quoted £300 for fitting new headlamps. Does any one have experienced this problem and is there a cheaper way to adjust?

Sensible-Lord
08-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Shanda, I had the same problem on a 2001 estate. The plastic adjuster had broken, it failed the MoT on this and VW wanted about a million quid to replace the whole light unit. Not only is this wasteful and expenstive it means they don't get my business. A trusted local garage did a bit of head scratching and removed the plastic hex head to reveal the threaded rod. A quick saw-cut on the end and you have the facility to adjust the light again (90˚ flat blade) and get an MoT. This garage shall have my business again.

diddykiddy
12-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Firstly - hello fellow passat owners!! :biglaugh:

I have a RHD Volkwagen Passat first registered in 2002. I will be travelling in Europe shortly and need to adjust my headlights so as not to dazzle oncoming drivers. Can anyone point me to instructions for carrying out this procedure?

I also have a RHD Passat (2003) TDI sport with xenon headlights - I have looked through the main post on this forum but it does not seem to tally with my headlight units. :1zhelp:

My lights are arranged thus; from car centre line to outside - side light (bulb type), indicator (bulb), main headlight (xenon)

The nearside (LHS) unit is easier to access, once you have removed the oil resevoir shroud, and the back plate of the light unit - which only seems to give access to the indicator bulb and the sidelight.

There are two 'adjusters' - machine screw type heads that lie in a vertical orientation. turning these with a 6mm allen key causes a worm wheel to rotate - I assume these two are for alignment of the main beam. One lies 75mm (approx) lower than the other at the rear of the unit (See pic 1).

There is also a rubber bung/plug that is inserted into the side wall of the housing. Removing this reveals a orange translucent plastic machine screw head type adjuster??

I cannot seem to locate any kind of metal tab to move up/down as described here;

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=449

Does my situation make any sense to anyone?? Anyone know what the above mentioned orange adjuster does?? I did not want to mess with anything until I knew what I was doing !! (been bitten before)

Any help/advice greatly appreciated - esp as we set off for france on sunday (16th!!)

thanks

diddy kiddy