PDA

View Full Version : jetta 96 no spark plz need help

jetta96gls
07-09-2008, 01:52 PM
i bought jetta from my nabour he is an old man.last winter his car came out of road track and went in the snow. so there was no damage but inside the hood the snow came inside.after that he tryed to start the car didnt start so he change the starter ,coil pac and distrubutor and still didnt start. now i bought the car from him and i checked there are no spark comming from coil pac.i tryed to put the new one still didnt work.can any one plz help me and tell me what could be the problem what should i check to see why there is no spark comming from the coil pac?what should i check before coil pac?when i try to start the motor it turns but doesnt start.

Crasher
07-09-2008, 01:59 PM
You must be in Canada by the sound of this. Your cars are quite different to ours so the engine code would be a great help to us in helping you.

jetta96gls
07-09-2008, 02:35 PM
can you plz tell me how to check computer codes step by step or if ther is diy for that ?i have done with my nissan but dont know about vw jettas.

Crasher
07-09-2008, 03:53 PM
See your other post.

jetta96gls
07-09-2008, 03:59 PM
yes i am from canada and well i read other post people had problem with the Ecm can you tell me where is the ecm is install in the car my car is jetta 96 GLS.

Crasher
07-09-2008, 07:58 PM
The engine ECU is located in the plenum chamber under the windscreen but there isn't much point looking there for the problem, I doubt you will find any visible issues with it except for the outside possibility of corroded plug contacts. To help you I need the engine code.

jetta96gls
07-09-2008, 08:17 PM
i checked for the ecm relay it should be on fuse box number 3 but in my car on number 3 there is nothing.and for the engine code i dont know how to get that and cant take the car to the mechanic cuz car doesnt move.i asked few peoples some saying first check ecm rely which i cant find in my car and for they say could be ecu.so dont understand what should i do for the ecm relay

Crasher
07-09-2008, 08:43 PM
As your Jetta is a 1996, it will be a Mexican built version and either a 1.8, 2.0 or 2.8 V6 so an ACC, ABA or AAA engine code respectively. The ABA and AAA have an ECU relay numbered 109 at position 3 so from your car not having a relay we can assume your car is a 90 horsepower 1.8 with an ACC engine so there is no point worrying about an ECU (or ECM as you put it) relay as that model does not have one. If the vehicle has no spark, I would suspect the distributor hall sender as being at fault and this is especially common on cars with distributors made by Valeo. What colour plastic is the distributor cap, black or brown?

jetta96gls
07-09-2008, 08:58 PM
the car i have is from states and i am in canada.its 2.0L GLS JETTA
in the car there is brand new distributor cap its in brown colour.i will tell you in number 1,2,3,5,7,10 there are no realy.on number (4) there is realy 18,on number(6) is realy 21,
on number(8) realy 99,on (11) realy 53,on(12) realy 167.

and ontop on the rightside there are 3 realys one is 161 second is 147 and third is 36.

Crasher
07-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Can you post a picture of the relay plate?

jetta96gls
07-09-2008, 09:06 PM
i dont know how to post but i will post the link of photobucket in few minutes

jetta96gls
07-09-2008, 09:12 PM
here is the link

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii318/RedMustang71/DSC01468.jpg

jetta96gls
07-09-2008, 09:39 PM
some one told me.....

Note, OBDII cars don't have ECM relay.. (I don't think so, off hand)..
I'd suspect the crank sensor.
Check for fuel pressure and injector operation to determine issue. If the CEL lights up, the ECU is getting power

i put the ignation on of my car but its not showing CEL light.

Crasher
07-09-2008, 11:33 PM
In that case it will be an ABA engine but I don’t have an engine wiring diagram for that engine at home, only at work. As far as the information I have goes, that should have a relay at position 3 with the number 109 printed on top and a new relay would have the VW part number 1J0 906 381 A whereas the original would have had the part number 357 906 381 A. You need to find me the engine code. This will be on the data sticker in the boot, sorry-trunk, and also in the inside front cover of the service book as well as on a sticker on top of the came belt cover. I imagine it will also be on your registration document and it will be stamped into the front of the block in front of cylinder 3 but it may have corroded away.

jetta96gls
11-09-2008, 07:41 AM
hello guys:D today i checked properly that the coil is giving spark but forget to check if its comming out from distributer.and one thing inside the maf there is like net it was complete melted and there is electronic thing i dont know what it call.. it was badly demage too like melted plastic on it.here is the link...
http://i267.photobucket.com/al...1.jpg (http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii318/RedMustang71/DSC01481.jpg)
and ontop the oilfilter there is one wire can anyone tell me where it connect i cant find where it goes. here is the link ...
http://i267.photobucket.com/al...4.jpg (http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii318/RedMustang71/DSC01484.jpg)

Crasher
12-09-2008, 01:23 PM
What the hell happened to cause that? What state is the air filter in? That spare wire is for the oil temperature signal that probably is not used on your car.

jetta96gls
12-09-2008, 02:23 PM
i dont how it happen well when i bought the car in same position and i saw that the plug wires were in wrong orders so i put in correct orders 1,3,4,2 is it right?.i think maf went bad cuz of that.do you think because of that the ecu is not working too?cuz when i trun on the switch key it should show the check ingine light then should turn off which its showing nothong so that mean ecu is gone.am i right?and air filter was dirty and i found oil spot on the airfilter.

i like to know if i get used maf and ecu will it should same number or i can put any number?

Crasher
12-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Buy a new AMM (MAF) and the firing order is 1342 as you say. If it was wrong it may have backfired into the AMM but I am surprised it didn’t catch fire. I don’t know about the ECU as you still haven’t found the engine code; look at the data sticker in the trunk. Don’t automatically suspect the ECU as they rarely fail, have it professionally tested. You need to get a fault code read done as IF the ECU comes back as being serviceable.

jetta96gls
13-09-2008, 08:35 PM
i bought ecu ,maf from ebay will get soon.and said engine code which i can find in the trunk is it car vin number are you talking about?like to know what could be the problem that the check engine light is not showing when i turn the egnation on?is there anyway to reset the ecu without useing the laptop computer?

Crasher
13-09-2008, 09:03 PM
It is “motor code” on European built cars but that is Mexican built and the only Mexican built car we get is the Jetta 5 and that has the same sticker as we are used to. The engine code should be ABA so I am sure you can find those three alphabetic characters if they are there. If the car has a factory fitted immobiliser (I am not 100% au fait with the US cars specifications) you will not be able to code the ECU in to the immobiliser without diagnostic equipment which you also need to read the codes. If you have a lap top, buy the VAG-COM software from http://www.ross-tech.com (http://www.ross-tech.com/) .

jetta96gls
14-09-2008, 08:46 AM
on ebay they are selling VAG-COM software very cheap will that work?

Crasher
14-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Often people have problems with third party cables; if you look at the VAG-COM thread on here you will see many people experiencing problems. Having said that, you don’t need software higher than version 409 so a cable that will allow the registered version to run LEGALLY will be OK, I strongly disapprove of the use of illegal copies of VAG-COM, software piracy is theft and especially damaging to small companies like Ross Tech who have done so much to make the life of the DIY enthusiast and independent professional easier.

jetta96gls
14-09-2008, 03:36 PM
ok thx can you tell me where to connect the plug of vag.com in the car?do you have diy for that plz?
Thank you

Crasher
14-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Remove the ash tray and above the cigarette lighter there is a curved black panel which slides off and exposes the 16 pin connector of cars produced from 1995.

jetta96gls
16-09-2008, 03:42 PM
today i removed the speedometer i saw that the cel bulb was removed and i put the new one so the cel ligt is on when i turn the key to on doesnt go off.do you think it could be cause of the burned maf?
and for the engine code it could be in the boot ...i checked there is nothing there and i dont have the manual book ...well on the engine head there was a number i note that one its WW0 H 0373
and inside the hood there is a long number 3VWSA81H6TMO16212.
i cant find anyother number except these.

Crasher
16-09-2008, 03:54 PM
3VWSA81H6TMO16212 is your chassis number and it is too early for me to find out your engine code from. Without a fault code read and really the engine number as well, I can’t go any further with you. Can you get the part number from off the top of the engine ECU?

jetta96gls
16-09-2008, 04:11 PM
here is the number which is in the bottom of ecu sticker 037 906 259

Crasher
16-09-2008, 05:31 PM
That ECU changed to 037 906 259 J and identifies your car as a non California ABA engined model.

jetta96gls
16-09-2008, 09:22 PM
how did you find out that the car ecu was changed to 037 906 259 J .so what should i do now?what step should i take next?i am waiting for my maf till tomorrow i will get it.i need little info well this is my first time never done it b4... on the ebay i have seen some companys selling scanner to check the problem of the car do you think thoes thing really works?the one you are talking about vag-com that is too much expancive and like you said dont go for the other vag-com (Copy) which people r selling on ebay that is not good.so plz can you tell me is there any other way to get cheap scaner?

Crasher
16-09-2008, 10:13 PM
You need to get a decent cable to allow you to properly use version 409 of VAG-COM as that is all you need but you will probably have to register it with Ross Tech to make it work properly which is $99, I can’t see a better way than that as hand held scanners usually only read codes and you will need other functions such as Measuring Blocks and Basic Settings.

jetta96gls
18-09-2008, 03:57 AM
need information today i open the timing belt cover and i saw that the timing belt was in very bad shape...how will i know that the timing is wrong?maybe one teeth jumped thats why its not starting...when i try to crank the engine it make back fire noice from the maf...so i am not sure what is it and today i got the ecu and maf so i will install tomorrow i hope it will start ...lol:)
if its not can you tell me how to set the timing belt or do you have diy that where the timing belt should be fixed?

Crasher
18-09-2008, 08:56 AM
The backfire is what fried the old AMM, DO NOT FIT THE NEW ONE! The valve timing is probably out so before you do anything you must change thee timing belt. I suggest you buy a manual such as Haynes or Bentley.

jetta96gls
18-09-2008, 08:45 PM
ok thx i will find the manual book.i checked when i turn the key on cant hear the fuel pump and i checked the fuse 18... which is fuel pump,heated oxygen sensor(HO2S) control module. i checked fuse with the tester light there was no power .can you tell me where should i check first that why the power is not comming in the fuse?

Crasher
18-09-2008, 10:44 PM
I don’t have the wiring diagram at home; I will have to look at work tomorrow.

jetta96gls
19-09-2008, 01:47 AM
hello
i am tottaly confuse ...lol with out power in fuse 18 for fuel pump when i try to crank the car is getting fuel and fuel get flood in the spark plugs. i cleaned 2 times the spark plugs still getting flood when i crank little.i took the wire from diffrent fuse and i connect to the number 18 which is fuel pump and i heard the fuel pump running still dont understand how its getting fuel with no power.and i check the injectors with the tester light when i crank the light stays doesnt blink so whats that mean?is it good with out blinking ?i check all the plugs car is getting spark too.

Crasher
19-09-2008, 09:13 AM
The fuel pump will be running, you just can’t hear it as it is only running during cranking which is correct. Obviously you have too much fuel and a fault code read would help in diagnosing why but as you seem to refuse to get some way of reading the fault codes, try disconnecting the coolant temperature sender on the cylinder head front water housing and then try cranking it. Have you dealt with the valve timing/cam belt issue yet?

jetta96gls
19-09-2008, 03:31 PM
i like to know if i disconect the coolant temperature sender what that will do?i didnt did nothing with the timing belt..i think that will be ok .do u have diy to how to check that the timing is in right posation.

The fuel pump will be running, you just can’t hear it as it is only running during cranking which is correct. Obviously you have too much fuel and a fault code read would help in diagnosing why but as you seem to refuse to get some way of reading the fault codes, try disconnecting the coolant temperature sender on the cylinder head front water housing and then try cranking it. Have you dealt with the valve timing/cam belt issue yet?

Crasher
19-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Disconnecting the coolant temp sender will make the ECU ignore the sender IF it is faulty and giving a very low reading which makes the mixture extremely rich. You need to buy a manual to show you how to do check the valve timing; it is too involved for me to go into here. From what you have said/shown, either the valve timing is out or the firing order is wrong.

Go here and buy the manual

http://www.amazon.com/Haynes-Volkswagen-Golf-Jetta-93/dp/B0002JMI4A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1221839348&sr=8-1

jetta96gls
19-09-2008, 08:03 PM
I just checked the timing belt pulley and I moved the pulley to where the timing mark is (the arrow)..and placed the mark where the O.T is..I then checked the flywheel mark..but there was nothing there.

There are 2 marks on the timing belt pulley right? 1 is O.T and the other is just a tiny dot?

So then I rotated the timing belt pulley again and brought it to the DOT ( . ) thats on 1 of the teeth and when I checked the flywheel mark..it was there.

So Id like to know if thats correct/fine?

Also theres 1 thing I noticed that..from another site I found a DIY on it..the pic is below to show you..

On the fly wheel there are 3 marks as you can see below..but on my flywheel I can only see 1 mark..the 1st 1. and not the cut or 0 mark next to it. if u get what I mean?

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/3000GT-96/Pic003a.jpg

jetta96gls
19-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Also i just noticed now that the timing belt tensioner is rusted..and is jammed..not moving at all.

Crasher
20-09-2008, 01:06 AM
The flywheel you show there is more typical of the ones fitted to earlier Golf’s but can be the type fitted to your car. The trouble is many only have the TDC mark (the marks indicated for the VW special tool are inductance lugs for tool VAG 1367 which even I only have access to by borrowing it) and that is the mark you need to set the pointer in the bell housing to after removing the 27-mm hex key green plug which can be a total swine to remove if it is corroded in. The problem with this TDC mark is that quite often the flywheel has been fitted upside down during clutch replacement so it cannot be trusted although this is less common on the single dowel flywheel as fitted to your engine. To check for alignment, align the TDC mark on the flywheel and then look at the front pulley which has a notch that should align with the arrow moulded into the plastic lower belt cover. If the timing belt tensioner is jammed the belt will have jumped so you must replace the belt and tensioner before attempting to start the car. If not you will bend the valves if they haven’t already been bent. Please order a copy of the manual and a timing belt kit before going any further.

jetta96gls
20-09-2008, 08:54 AM
new problem ...lol when i was turning the belt with the tool the belt broke.i am sure 100% i didnt bent any valves but the setting are out so is there any way to do the timing setting or there is only one way from the manual?

Crasher
20-09-2008, 01:51 PM
So you turned the belt with the plugs in using the cam pulley? If you had bought a manual in the first place I think it tells you not to do that. Please order a manual.

jetta96gls
20-09-2008, 02:05 PM
no i turned the main pully of the engine and i use the torque wrench before when i turned i removed all the plugs so that the engine move softly..and then i took the picture to show you which i am sending you now that when i put the timing on the dot then it shows where is the flywheel showing can you tell me that was it before in right place and do you think this was the problem that the car was not starting?is this look like that the timing was out?
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii318/RedMustang71/DSC01509.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii318/RedMustang71/DSC01511.jpg

and yes i will get the book today

Crasher
20-09-2008, 02:08 PM
From that it looks like it was one or two teeth out but one tooth would not stop it from starting.

jetta96gls
20-09-2008, 02:45 PM
so to set the timing belt i need to put the dot on mark of the timing belt,set the ply wheel which is the last pic and to set the distrubuter where the cap should face?
Thank for the help

Crasher
20-09-2008, 06:01 PM
You align the notch on the ribbed front pulley with the dot on a tooth of the intermediate shaft pulley with the lower timing belt cover removed and the ribbed belt pulley refitted whist double checking this alignment at the gearbox end to make sure it is aligned with the TDC mark. Then the cam pulley is checked to ensure it is at O T and the belt is fitted and tensioned. Rotate the crank two full turns to the TDC mark and check the cam is again at O T.

jetta96gls
24-09-2008, 03:25 PM
i found mark zero (0) on the flywheel :)
i did setting of cam at o.t then for the distributer i open the cap and turn the rotor to mark (1).and the flywheel mark to zero(0)
do u think i did right i have golf 96 1.8 i did setting same as golf.and like to know how will i know that the valves are not bend?is there any way to check that?

Crasher
24-09-2008, 05:06 PM
If the cam and crank are at 0 and the rotor arm is pointing to the notch on the distributor body, fit the belt, set the tension and then very slowly (with the plugs out) rotate the engine clockwise using a 12 point 19-mm socket on the front pulley bolt, making sure you turn the bottom end over at least twice so that the crank, cam and rotor all come back to number 1. Now recheck the tension and turn it over a couple more times before turning it over on the starter but still with the plugs out (disconnect the power lead to the coil).

jetta96gls
24-09-2008, 06:34 PM
thx alot for the help...i like to know is my car 8valve or 16 valve its 2.0L

Crasher
24-09-2008, 10:56 PM
It is an 8v.

jetta96gls
17-10-2008, 01:01 PM
thx it was the timing belt it was jumped cuz of jamed tenioner and spark plugs wires were in wrong order:)now may car start perfactly:) ...and guess for how much did i bought this car?well i bought this car from old man for 200$ cuz of this problem he couldnt fix it and the car is in good condition:)

Crasher
17-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Well done, I am pleased to hear it is now running.