PDA

View Full Version : 99 TDi Ibiza (90 BHP) Issues

thefoolmccool
06-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Hi guys,

Just bought this car yesterday, http://www.usedcarsni.com/18702981. Didnt think it was too bad for 700 quid.

Anyhow, have been driving it for a bit and have noticed a slight hesitation (1-2s) when changing gear. Is the turbo this laggy or might there be something wrong. It's most noticeable in 3rd with throttle fully open - full power does not kick in stright away. Sometimes it seems to pull even better from lower revs.

Just asking whether this is a trait of the engine or do I have issues.

I have owned turbo cars in the past - but never a diesel (CREDIT CRUNCH!!!)

Think I might clean both the EGR valve and MAF sensors tomorrow - is there any how-tos on this?

Cheers
Kev

Crasher
06-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Don’t bother cleaning the AMM or Air Mass Meter (MAF as you call it) as that is a waste of time. If you suspect it of being faulty, buy a new one from your Seat dealer, nowhere else. Cleaning the EGR is a good idea and you will find it a deeply enjoyable experience-not. I suggest you have a fault code read done to go any further than that.

thefoolmccool
06-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Don’t bother cleaning the AMM or Air Mass Meter (MAF as you call it) as that is a waste of time. If you suspect it of being faulty, buy a new one from your Seat dealer, nowhere else. Cleaning the EGR is a good idea and you will find it a deeply enjoyable experience-not. I suggest you have a fault code read done to go any further than that.

Cheers Crasher,

Still learning the VAG sensor terms!! AMM!!

Is there any threads on how to clean the EGR valve?

Crasher
07-09-2008, 01:10 PM
It is quite simple but utterly disgusting to do, the recalculated gas particulate deposits mix with crank case ventilation oil mist and turbo seal oil loss mist and form the most vial thick black cack you can possibly imagine. I gently scrape this goo out and then break it down further using commercial vehicle wash known as TFR (Traffic Film Remover) which is an extremely powerful water soluble alkaline that burns your skin very quickly so gloves/goggles and no exposed skin, it is very much like oven cleaner. You have to be gentle as the valve is made from ally and contains the anti shudder shut down flap which can jam if you scratch the bore. Unfortunately the EGR valve itself will be the least of your worries, the goo will extend into the inlet manifold all the way into the head and I often use a spoon to scoop out the inlet manifold as far as I can if the customer can’t afford for me to take the manifold off. One word of caution, you can leave the valve soaking in TFR overnight but it will dye the body of the valve very dark grey so I mask off the steel bits and quickly waft over the valve with silver aerosol to bring the original look back. Sometimes I wonder if it would not be more sensible to fit a new valve and manifold.