PDA

View Full Version : MK4 Golf Speaker Loom.....?

2Dcadman
29-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Having just changed from Beta to a Gamma Radio/Cass. I am looking to install speakers into the rear doors. Can any member tell me if the Speaker Loom complete with connectors is there as standard on a 1999 Golf TDIS 90 BHP for simple connection to the new speakers or is it a full re-wire back to the head unit? I understand both front and rear speakers are of identical size 165mm.

Eshrules
29-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Having just changed from Beta to a Gamma Radio/Cass. I am looking to install speakers into the rear doors. Can any member tell me if the Speaker Loom complete with connectors is there as standard on a 1999 Golf TDIS 90 BHP for simple connection to the new speakers or is it a full re-wire back to the head unit? I understand both front and rear speakers are of identical size 165mm.

i would presume this is the same kind of scenario as the cd changer wiring with some models, the only way to tell for definite is to get those door cards off and have a look, see if the wirings there or not. if not, i would presume then it is a case of installing the wiring yourself and yes, it will have to source from the head unit, may be more of a b**l ache than you wanted?:beerchug:

2Dcadman
03-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Well got one of the rear door cards off today, and yep NO speaker loom...!
So looks like a wiring jobs on the cards.:(

Thanks for reply eshrules

bigwint
15-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Well got one of the rear door cards off today, and yep NO speaker loom...!
So looks like a wiring jobs on the cards.:(

Thanks for reply eshrules
hi, just wondered if you managed to sort the wiring out in the rear doors. Thinking of doing a similar job and wondered if it was an easy one?

cheers

james

Kev2904
16-03-2007, 11:24 AM
If you installed an amp in the boot you could just run a siganl cable to it then run your speakers from there?

That would be less wiring and a better signal throught the system......

bigwint
16-03-2007, 11:51 AM
cheers, thats prob what i'll end up doing...

j

bora(ing) nick
16-03-2007, 12:04 PM
If you installed an amp in the boot you could just run a siganl cable to it then run your speakers from there?

That would be less wiring and a better signal throught the system......

Less wiring..... I think not...lol

If you were to install an amp, you'd have to run:

1) a signal cable,
2) A decent +12V power supply direct to the battery with an in-line fuse,
3) make a decent eath in the boot somewhere
4) you have to rum 2 phono cables from the head unit to the amp.
5) then you can connect the speakers up.

Where as running a set of cables to each back door from the head unit through the car is not that big a job.

Probably have it done in an hour or less, certainly quick than installing an amp...

just my view....

Nick

Kev2904
16-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Less wiring..... I think not...lol

If you were to install an amp, you'd have to run:

1) a signal cable,
2) A decent +12V power supply direct to the battery with an in-line fuse,
3) make a decent eath in the boot somewhere
4) you have to rum 2 phono cables from the head unit to the amp.
5) then you can connect the speakers up.

Where as running a set of cables to each back door from the head unit through the car is not that big a job.

Probably have it done in an hour or less, certainly quick than installing an amp...

just my view....

Nick

A decent earth is just behind your light box just add it in there one thing to remember if you do put one in is to have your power and signal lines running down opposite sides of the car.

It only took me an hour to run the amp cables and guess its a worthy hour as now you can hook up a range of amps and different rates of speakers rather than being limited by the headunit...but each to thier own:beerchug:

But for quickness and easiness i would say your right.

bora(ing) nick
16-03-2007, 12:47 PM
It only took me an hour to run the amp cables and guess its a worthy hour as now you can hook up a range of amps and different rates of speakers rather than being limited by the headunit...but each to thier own:beerchug:

Installing an amp would be better, and unlimited in range as once its there you can swap and chage amps / speakers / subs as you say....

But if all he wants is to have sound in the back, the door speakers have got to be easier....

Nick

bigwint
16-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Cheers guys,
I was planning on putting an amp in anyway, but wasnt sure the easiest way of sorting the rear door speakers.

If you have done it before kev did you run the wiring under the seats? If so did you need to take them out/switch off the airbag system?

cheers very much for the input guys, its much appreciated.

j

Kev2904
16-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Installing an amp would be better, and unlimited in range as once its there you can swap and chage amps / speakers / subs as you say....

But if all he wants is to have sound in the back, the door speakers have got to be easier....

Nick

Yeah agreed....what you could do is setup your speakers now and then you will have sound then you can just run an amp later and hook up some nice 6x9's...im not a boy racer but love my music and one thing i have noticed is a sub makes a massive difference to anytype of music i would recomend to anyone even a family car.....

Gavin78
16-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Cheers guys,
I was planning on putting an amp in anyway, but wasnt sure the easiest way of sorting the rear door speakers.

If you have done it before kev did you run the wiring under the seats? If so did you need to take them out/switch off the airbag system?

cheers very much for the input guys, its much appreciated.

j

Hi,

Not sure if the standard VW Gamma stereo has the necessary pre-outs required to run an external amp. If not, you are probably looking at a new head unit as well if you want to run an amp. You shouldn't need to run the wiring under the seats - the plastic kick-plate over the sill can be remove so you can run the wiring between the sill and the carpet.

Gavin.

bigwint
16-03-2007, 03:24 PM
cheers,

yeah ive already got all the gear to put in the car, just wondered the best way of sorting everything. Cheers for the advice Gavin, I've just bought a sony gt500 head unit, and when it comes to wiring it to an amp, i'll do it as you suggested.

I would tend to agree with you Kev, im not a boy racer, but i too feel that music should be played on a good sound system, and i have the sub and amp ready to install, but not enough time as yet.

cheers again guys, the help is appreciated.

j

Kev2904
16-03-2007, 03:56 PM
cheers,

yeah ive already got all the gear to put in the car, just wondered the best way of sorting everything. Cheers for the advice Gavin, I've just bought a sony gt500 head unit, and when it comes to wiring it to an amp, i'll do it as you suggested.

I would tend to agree with you Kev, im not a boy racer, but i too feel that music should be played on a good sound system, and i have the sub and amp ready to install, but not enough time as yet.

cheers again guys, the help is appreciated.

j

Na nothing as drastic as that all i did was poke a hole in the firewall then ran the power under the steering column clipped it to the grill under the fuses then if you run the cable along the floor along the right of the car. you can poke the cable up under the plastic cover that runs down the side you do need to give it a bit of effort to keep it in and tidy..

Then lift the bottom of your back seat to expose that cavity then just run the cable so it's out of sight to the boot.

The audio cables and remote cable should go down the opposite of the car as electrical interfering will be cut down (you will get a hum if you run power/signal same side).

then connect it all up to your headunit and earth it by taking the back left light cover of from the inside and connect your earth to the earthing point (should have a bolt and possibly a wire already there).

If you are going to mount your amp make sure its not upside down as the heat rises and will fry it.

When you are tuning the amp in and if your headunit has an amp control set it in the 85khz range this gives the best bass range and helps keep each note seperate as it cuts out all the signal to the amp below that band.

Well worth it! enjoy:beerchug: