PDA

View Full Version : lambda sensor removal tips

achundee
29-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Hi all,

Can anyone please offer some hints on lambda sensor removal please? The car in this situation is a yr2000 Polo and the sensor is pretty rusted into the exhaust manifold. I have driven the car for 1/2hr to warm it and then tried removing it, but it is not budging!

Have soaked it in WD40 just now and am going to try spinning it out tomorrow morning, but has anyone got any better ideas please? The sensor is being replaced so it doesn't matter if it gets damaged.

Thanks!

passat boy
30-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Hi all,

Can anyone please offer some hints on lambda sensor removal please? The car in this situation is a yr2000 Polo and the sensor is pretty rusted into the exhaust manifold. I have driven the car for 1/2hr to warm it and then tried removing it, but it is not budging!

Have soaked it in WD40 just now and am going to try spinning it out tomorrow morning, but has anyone got any better ideas please? The sensor is being replaced so it doesn't matter if it gets damaged.

Thanks!

I assume you have wirebrushed the offending sensor to remove rust and filth around the thread,all thats left is using a suitable spanner(24mm if i remember)to turn and remove the sensor.Turn to tighten slightly and then loosen slightly and keep applying wd40 while applying this motion till it frees up but dont force anything.If you put the new sensor in apply a light bit of copperslip on the threads as this prevents siezing on nut's&bolt's etc and resists heat to an extent.If wd40 doesent help try machine oil or sewing machine oil(3in1 also)overnight but remember to wipe off any fluids if you decide to ride the car,you dont want a firedup ride.

tedjames
03-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Hi all,

Thanks!

hi with ref to your lambda sensor if it isn't budging another way to do it so you dont have to worry bwt rounding the sensor is if it is being replaced anyway cut the wiring off as close to the sensor as possible n gat a socket and ratchet that will fir preferrably a 1/2" drive one so that you can get more power behind it warm the car up n soak it in wd40 or equivalent of then try tightening it slightly n then undoing it and just work it until it becomes free just becareful not to strip the thread with it because then you will either have to retap it or buy a new manifold let us no ow you get an

dan:D