PDA

View Full Version : Question Where do I need to isolate the clutch pipe to stop the buzzing at 1900 rpm? HELP!

PaulMcC
03-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Hello everyone,
Firstly, being a petrolhead and an internet nerd I've been on car forums since they started and I have to say that this one is by far the best. Genuine helpful and interesting posts/debate - superb!

I've recently bought a 2nd hand 56 reg estate and love it. The only niggles I have with it are the "buzzes from the glovebox" and "creaks from the centre console" that have received numerous informative posts here.

Thanks to the excellent info here I've fixed the dash creaks etc. and understand that the buzzing at 1900-2000rpm when under acceleration is due to the clutch pipe vibrating on a part of the chassis. Could anyone tell me whereabouts before I start to take the covers /airbox out? Is the guilty location at the clutch pedal/master cylinder end, along the bulkhead or under the battery/entry into the slave cylinder?

Many thanks in advance,
Paul

Stuart W
03-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Don't know if you've seen this information from an earlier thread, or even if it helps, but this is about the buzz I had and the quotes are from the VW invoice (although it was done under warranty).

A persistent buzz from the area above the glovebox area, ie around where the passenger airbag is situated. This buzz could be heard on acceleration lower down the rev range. It was traced to the "clutch cable vibrating off of chassis leg", and was rectified by placing foam padding "inbetween chassis leg and clutch slave cylinder pipe"

Tommyweaves also said in the same thread:

While it was in I asked them to look at a passenger dash rattle that had come back. This had been fixed previously after they found the clutch pipe was rattling underneath the battery box area.

BTW, we're mostly "dieselheads" on here ;)

SteveX
04-09-2008, 07:59 AM
This may be a daft question :Blush2:, but if I have an auto, does that mean there's no clutch pipe? I've got the same sort of noise coming from the same area :confused:

PaulMcC
04-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Many thanks Stuart W for finding those quotes - Will remove battery and beautification panels etc. , have a look at that end and post my findings.

Fair point about no longer being a petrol head :biglaugh:- this is my first diesel, I guess old habits die hard!

tommyweaves
04-09-2008, 08:38 PM
I was going to quote myself but Stuart W beat me to it!!