PDA

View Full Version : lower my car?

Aaron Mac
28-01-2007, 09:54 PM
hi,
i have a 2005 mk5 golf 1.6 fsi,i have modified the car in most areas and now im wondering should i lower the car 40mm all round? the golf drives brilliantly smooth and i dont want the ride to be rough and bumpy,does anybody know a good suspension kit or springs that would lower the car without comprmising ride comfort too much??

Eshrules
29-01-2007, 12:21 AM
40mm sounds a rather drastic drop, i suppose it depends also on what kind of size wheels your cars runing on, if you've got whopping great 19's you should probably have already lowered it, as the car will be on stilts, the handling will be poor to say the least.

if you've got standard 15/16's on it, id probably go for a more tasteful 20mm drop, as for springs, try searching for a thread, im sure someone on here has had the same kind of thread before... other than that im sure one of the techies will be along to help soon ....:beerchug:

Huweth
29-01-2007, 02:27 AM
I've lowered two golfs by 40mm, but not Mk5's. Though the handling was awesome on both, it was a little harsh. That was a long time ago, and I had trouble with speed bumps occasionally. These days I think 40mm is too much given the increasing frequency and size of speed bumps. You might find your front skirt crashing into them, and you certainly wouldn't want to smash your oil pan! You can get away with it, but you'll have to all but crawl over speed bumps.

Eshrules
29-01-2007, 10:10 AM
I've lowered two golfs by 40mm, but not Mk5's. Though the handling was awesome on both, it was a little harsh. That was a long time ago, and I had trouble with speed bumps occasionally. These days I think 40mm is too much given the increasing frequency and size of speed bumps. You might find your front skirt crashing into them, and you certainly wouldn't want to smash your oil pan! You can get away with it, but you'll have to all but crawl over speed bumps.

im not too sure you know, but i was under the impression the mk5 had a slightly lower natural ride height as it was, so 40mm on this could be even worse? i may be wrong though....

devonutopia
29-01-2007, 02:28 PM
My fabia is lowered between 70-80mm all round, on adjustable coilovers. Makes for a bit of a stiff ride, but it gives good cornering performance and a good stance in general (I like the low slung look :D)

Changing them for KW coilovers soon though. FK ones are a little cheap, but decent enough, :)

Eibach springs are a good value way to get a 30-35mm drop.

Aaron Mac
29-01-2007, 06:20 PM
40mm sounds a rather drastic drop, i suppose it depends also on what kind of size wheels your cars runing on, if you've got whopping great 19's you should probably have already lowered it, as the car will be on stilts, the handling will be poor to say the least.

if you've got standard 15/16's on it, id probably go for a more tasteful 20mm drop, as for springs, try searching for a thread, im sure someone on here has had the same kind of thread before... other than that im sure one of the techies will be along to help soon ....:beerchug:

was talkin to a guy 2day with a mk5 golf he had dropped it 50mm on a set of rs8 19's! he swore it was still a comfy car 2 drive,anyways ive got a set of 18 inch highly polished monzas on the golf look crackin, as for handlin it is still pretty good the toyo proxes grip like f#*k!

Aaron Mac
29-01-2007, 06:28 PM
My fabia is lowered between 70-80mm all round, on adjustable coilovers. Makes for a bit of a stiff ride, but it gives good cornering performance and a good stance in general (I like the low slung look :D)

Changing them for KW coilovers soon though. FK ones are a little cheap, but decent enough, :)

Eibach springs are a good value way to get a 30-35mm drop.

ur fabia looks lovely mate,wot kind of mods have u done to push 220bhp? wots the best car uv embarresed in the fabia? 70/80mm! must be sittin on its ****! is it still comfy to ride and would you lower a car that much again? ive seen the eibach springs £80 lowers it 30mm on springs for the mk5 you any idea bout ride comfort though?

NicholasP
30-01-2007, 12:16 AM
for the mk3...if i get a basic set of eibach springs, do i have to change the shocks? furthermore..how are insurance going to feel about it..

devonutopia
30-01-2007, 12:24 AM
ur fabia looks lovely mate,wot kind of mods have u done to push 220bhp? wots the best car uv embarresed in the fabia? 70/80mm! must be sittin on its ****! is it still comfy to ride and would you lower a car that much again? ive seen the eibach springs £80 lowers it 30mm on springs for the mk5 you any idea bout ride comfort though?

Well, it's gone from

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/devonutopia/mini-DSCF0001.jpg

to this

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/devonutopia/FABIA/DSCN0324.jpg

Quite a drop, but then it was always high as standard anyway. No rubbing, even on full lock, and the look is great.

Principle mods for power are: Hybrid turbo, FMIC, straight through exhaust "pipe", LPG injection and a Jabbasport remap. I'm not one to embarrass things, but I love surprising those who think they're rep mobiles are formula 1 cars. Once ruffled by one, I will damn well show them what it will do. Aside from that, I just give chavs a bit of a blast and drive fairly sedately everywhere else. :)