PDA

View Full Version : New member with a couple of A6 problems

Niall76
28-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Hello to everyone here. I've been told this is the place to sort out my troubles so here goes.

I have a 97/98 A6 2.8 quattro. I love the car, it swallows everything in the boot (I have 3 kids), it's got loads of space inside and is extremely comfortable. Performance is excellent also. There a few minor things though.

Firstly, The remote key fob doesn't work. I think it needs a new battery so I'll get one and fit it. But, how do I then program it to the car? The chap I bought it from had replaced the drivers door lock barrel (with VAG part) as the old one was faulty. I now lock/unlock the car with the key - but it doesn't operate the central locking! I need to use the button on the door for that. Phoned local Audi dealer who told me that it would cost £80 plus VAT just to re-program the key! That's too much for me.

Secondly, The fuel gauge is erratic. It jumps about all over the place. It started not long ago. My dad reckons it's the sender unit at the tank and that it's probably water - it'll probably dry out and be fine? If it is the sender is it easy to locate and replace? Or could it be something else?

Thirdly, the chap I bought it from fitted new brake discs and pads on the front. When it's damp I noticed the brake pad warning light would sometimes come on. On inspection the drivers side cable to the calliper is missing! Either he broke it or forgot to put it back on as the connector it plugs into is still the there. Any ideas on how much a replacement will be and where best to buy it from?

I think that's it for now? Hopefully someone here can help me out. As I said, I love the car. If I were to change it I would go for the V8. Unfortunately 3 kids etc means funds do not allow. Maybe one day........

Oh! And does anyone know of a good workshop manual for the car?

Thanks

Niall

Niall76
30-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Anyone?............................

Okay then, can anyone direct me to an Audi forum which may be able to help me out?

Much appreciated.

Niall76
05-02-2007, 07:03 PM
Could a moderator move this to the technical section of the forum please?

I may have more luck in getting a reply there?

Niall76
07-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks Andy BB

That's a great help and will certainly give me something to get started on.

Much appreciated.

I may have found a source for a manual for the beast? I'll let you know as soon as I find out for sure and pass on a copy.

Niall

BAK 2 BA6
20-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Niall 76.

I fixed mine successfully and cheaply by doing the following.

Simple process.

Once you've replaced the batteries in the keyfob (CR1620 £1.50 each from a local jewellers).

Open car and drivers window.

1. Use spare key to turn ignition on without starting engine (all lights on dash lit up).
2. Shut and lock door with second.
3. Press the unlock button on keyfob (indicator lights should flash).
4. Try the lock button to see if works. (worked for me so I stopped there)

Let me know if it works for you.

Disco77
05-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Hi, Im new to this so probably in the wrong area to post a question but here goes, my key fob batteries gone to our P Plate 2.8SE Avant, I phoned the serice department @ Ridgeway Audi Main Dealer in Newbury to find out which battery I needed and they told me that THEY DIDNT KNOW!!!!

Any idea's? Before anyone asks, its my wifes car shes at work and she cannot get the fob open to look.

Niall76
05-04-2007, 04:43 PM
2 of CR1620 is what's needed.

Disco77
05-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks very much!