PDA

View Full Version : Question Is my 2001 A3 supposed to have a gap in the sunroof surround?

dwalker109
31-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi everyone, I'm hoping somebody with a similar car can help set my mind at ease! About a week ago, I noticed a tiny channel cut out of my sunroof's rubber surround. It is at the rear of the roof, right in the centre. It is obviously supposed to be there, but I'm wondering if there should be something plugging it? Or is it just a perfectly normal drain channel?

The car doesn't leak at all, but seeing as it is currently throwing it down with rain I thought I'd try and check!

Many thanks in advance for any advice :)

omegadirective
01-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Hi everyone, I'm hoping somebody with a similar car can help set my mind at ease! About a week ago, I noticed a tiny channel cut out of my sunroof's rubber surround. It is at the rear of the roof, right in the centre. It is obviously supposed to be there, but I'm wondering if there should be something plugging it? Or is it just a perfectly normal drain channel?

The car doesn't leak at all, but seeing as it is currently throwing it down with rain I thought I'd try and check!

Many thanks in advance for any advice :)

Can you get a picture and then I can have a look and compare? I have a 2000 A3 1.6 with a sunroof and I've never noticed.

I'll have a look at lunch though and tell you what mine looks like. Can you see the channel when the roof is open, or closed? Inside the car or outside it?

Cheers,
Nick

omegadirective
01-09-2008, 02:00 PM
I had a look at lunch and I can't see any gap other than grooves cut in for the sunroof to fold into. Nothing untowards. Maybe there is a difference between 2000 and 2001 sunroof designs but I wouldn't think so. As long as it's not leaking I wouldn't worry!

My car needs a clean. :(

dwalker109
02-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Hi! First, thanks for taking the time to help me out Nick, I really appreciate it.

I tried to take some photos this evening but its just too dark and wet, so I'll grab some tomorrow and post 'em here... maybe you (or anyone else passing by) can tell me I'm just being silly. :Blush2:

You can see it when the roof is closed, from the outside (if you look really closely). When the roof is elevated, you can see it from inside... pictures will help!

Cheers

Dan

omegadirective
02-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi! First, thanks for taking the time to help me out Nick, I really appreciate it.

I tried to take some photos this evening but its just too dark and wet, so I'll grab some tomorrow and post 'em here... maybe you (or anyone else passing by) can tell me I'm just being silly. :Blush2:

You can see it when the roof is closed, from the outside (if you look really closely). When the roof is elevated, you can see it from inside... pictures will help!

Cheers

Dan

Not a problem at all. It's only a 2 second job to have a good nosey!

I had the sunroof open and close, and tilted, and fully retracted, couldn't see a groove but it could just be the fact I'm not entirely sure what to look for! I'll have another look for you when I can see some pictures mate! :biglaugh:

As long as it doesn't leak, and water isn't accumulating inside your roof I wouldn't worry!

dwalker109
02-09-2008, 07:51 PM
I'll have another look for you when I can see some pictures mate! :biglaugh:

Right, I now have some photos, enjoy ;)

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6711/p9020274wr4.jpg

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/9351/p9020277cj1.jpg

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/9006/p9020279qu8.jpg

http://http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4257/p9020282ug6.jpg

You can see a little spot of water beneath it, which seems to be the only wet bit - looks like its going down a drain channel or something - I don't know how I would check that it isn't in the roof, but I suspect it would seep through or I would feel it when driving if that was waterlogged.

I guess I'm just intrigued now as to what this is, 'cos if it hasn't leaked in the rain we're having at the moment it should cope with anything!

Cheers mate :beerchug:

omegadirective
02-09-2008, 09:13 PM
I don't THINK thats supposed to be there. Looks nicely cut but doesn't look from the pics to be original. I'll recheck tomorrow. It's too dark to see now. Pretty sure mine isn't like that though! :)

omegadirective
03-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Hey mate! :)

I don't have any grove/cut like that in mine. Maybe someone else with a 2001 model sun roof could help you further.

I wonder if a previous owner used it to channel a wire onto the roof for something or other? Just a guess. Sorry I can't help you anymore than that mate! :(

dwalker109
03-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Hey mate! :)

I don't have any grove/cut like that in mine. Maybe someone else with a 2001 model sun roof could help you further.

I wonder if a previous owner used it to channel a wire onto the roof for something or other? Just a guess. Sorry I can't help you anymore than that mate! :(

Hey there :)

Your wire idea is, I think, the most likely cause of this. I'd be very surprised if our sunroofs are different, as you say.

Anyway, once again, muchas gracias for taking the time to take a look at yours. I'll try not to lose too much sleep over it...

:biglaugh:

omegadirective
04-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Hey there :)

Your wire idea is, I think, the most likely cause of this. I'd be very surprised if our sunroofs are different, as you say.

Anyway, once again, muchas gracias for taking the time to take a look at yours. I'll try not to lose too much sleep over it...

:biglaugh:

I'm sure you could find something to plug it with easily enough! :)

It's no problem mate, thats what these forums are for!

No point in asking Audi all the time, they'd only try and make you replace the seal around the sunroof, then your motors would mysteriously break, then the buttons would stop working, therefore a whole new roof system is in order. :biglaugh: Sly buggers aren't they...

Nick .

dwalker109
07-09-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm sure you could find something to plug it with easily enough! :)

It's no problem mate, thats what these forums are for!

No point in asking Audi all the time, they'd only try and make you replace the seal around the sunroof, then your motors would mysteriously break, then the buttons would stop working, therefore a whole new roof system is in order. :biglaugh: Sly buggers aren't they...

Nick .

Yeah, maybe I'll plug it.. or maybe I'll just leave it alone since it ain't leaking! Decisions decisions...