PDA

View Full Version : Coolant problem

Daviddgs
31-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Hi,

I've just had the cylinder head gasket replaced on my 01 , 1.9TDi. The temperature had being going through the roof and coolant was being lost. Just got the car back and It wouldn't heat up. I thought that it would be the thermostat and there was none fitted ( don't know how long this has been like this ). The temperature now rockets and there is no hot air from the heater now. Help ! I'm loosing faith in garages and if possible would fix it myself. Thanks for any help.

David

STEWY L
31-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Hi,

I've just had the cylinder head gasket replaced on my 01 , 1.9TDi. The temperature had being going through the roof and coolant was being lost. Just got the car back and It wouldn't heat up. I thought that it would be the thermostat and there was none fitted ( don't know how long this has been like this ). The temperature now rockets and there is no hot air from the heater now. Help ! I'm loosing faith in garages and if possible would fix it myself. Thanks for any help.

David
the symptoms you now describe,( temp rockets,no heat at air vents),points to the water pump.
the fact that the thermostat was missing would,in general terms,and i stress,in general terms,as i don't have vw experience, would mean that
the engine would take a long time to get to operating temperature,but would then keep on climbling and eventually overheat.
this is because the body of the thermostat acts as a "gate" if you like,
keeping water going around the engine block,and not the radiator,while it warms up, and then opening and directing water through the radiator to be cooled when it got to operating temperature.
your present problem would seem like the water pump has failed, either
the impellor has worn away,or has come loose, depending on how they are
constructed.
hope you resolve it at least cost,
stewy.

smokey0123
31-08-2008, 03:12 PM
It looks to me like the waterpump has failed and caused theheadgasket to blow, then the dodgy garage have not checked the water pump when the belt was off and removed the thermostat to try and fix the overheating problem.

STEWY L
31-08-2008, 03:17 PM
It looks to me like the waterpump has failed and caused theheadgasket to blow, then the dodgy garage have not checked the water pump when the belt was off and removed the thermostat to try and fix the overheating problem.
whilst i wouldn't call a garage i don't know "dodgy", i would agree
100% with smokey.
take care,
stewy.

STEWY L
31-08-2008, 03:38 PM
whilst i wouldn't call a garage i don't know "dodgy", i would agree
100% with smokey.
take care,
stewy.
the reason is,i don't know what the customers request/remit was.
he may have said" just repair the head gasket, i'm a bit short at the minute",
the garage, under competition from so many others,may not have wanted to add to the customers bill by going further.
yes, i know that would not happen like that exactly, but do you catch my drift?
their are some great lads out there,just wanting to help,but having to charge to make a living.
it just seems to me that so many of us are of the opinion that they are all
trying to cheat us.
regards,
stewy.

Daviddgs
31-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the responses, When the head was off I got the garage to replace the timing belt and coolant pump , so it looks like a failure of a new component. Think I'll have to return to the garage.

the reason is,i don't know what the customers request/remit was.
he may have said" just repair the head gasket, i'm a bit short at the minute",
the garage, under competition from so many others,may not have wanted to add to the customers bill by going further.
yes, i know that would not happen like that exactly, but do you catch my drift?
their are some great lads out there,just wanting to help,but having to charge to make a living.
it just seems to me that so many of us are of the opinion that they are all
trying to cheat us.
regards,
stewy.

greg123
05-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Have it chemical and pressure tested for head leakage then have the flow tested from the pump and the coolant system flushed and checked for blockages.

It could be the head still (head gaskets don't always go well, possibility of cracks, warpage, poor fitting etc) or an underlying problem still not identified.

Greg.

Thanks for the responses, When the head was off I got the garage to replace the timing belt and coolant pump , so it looks like a failure of a new component. Think I'll have to return to the garage.