PDA

View Full Version : Question clatter on idle

skippy41
29-08-2008, 03:30 PM
I have a 55 plate 1.9tdi 105 BHP diesel estate.
When Idling there is a clatter from the drivers side of the engine, once on the move it goes.
I have noticed that if I depress the clutch slightly the clatter disappears but the clatter is definitely coming from the drivers side anyone any ideas
Its not there all the time though.
Its defo not the clutch release bearing I know that sound all to well from my old Kia carens that I managed to mug a Renault gararge to take it off my hands

Crasher
29-08-2008, 04:23 PM
There are a few possibilities. Clutch release bearing even though you don’t think so but that would come from the other end as would a failing DMF so I would suspect the belt dives at the front or the alternator pulley BUT that doesn’t explain why it goes when putting your foot on the clutch. When you depress the clutch, the crank is pushed over to the right hand side of the engine buy a tiny amount but this can force the pulleys away enough to silence a slight interference. Has the cam belt been done recently? I have seen new crank pulley outer bolts fitted which are fractionally too long and these can hit the seal holder.

skippy41
29-08-2008, 04:29 PM
There are a few possibilities. Clutch release bearing even though you don’t think so but that would come from the other end as would a failing DMF so I would suspect the belt dives at the front or the alternator pulley BUT that doesn’t explain why it goes when putting your foot on the clutch. When you depress the clutch, the crank is pushed over to the right hand side of the engine buy a tiny amount but this can force the pulleys away enough to silence a slight interference. Has the cam belt been done recently? I have seen new crank pulley outer bolts fitted which are fractionally too long and these can hit the seal holder.

The belt has yet to be changed it will be in the next 5K as its coming up to 70K
I hope its not the flywheel as I have heard they cost unless one can be sourced from somewhere else How much is one as a mater of interest??

Crasher
29-08-2008, 04:32 PM
£535 genuine plus clutch but LUK sell them aftermarket for a lot less.

skippy41
29-08-2008, 04:40 PM
£535 genuine plus clutch but LUK sell them aftermarket for a lot less.
Thanks for the info.

I wont be going to the dealer as it out of warranty but I use a small gararge where the mechanic looks after racing saloons, and he is bloody good and quick at what he does.
He also looks after most of the skoda taxis

skippy41
10-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Just update you all, it was the DMF that was away,
tried to get one cheap but gave up and called the dealer. Chathams in Edinburgh
He then gave me some good news, he could fit the full old type system, flywheel and clutch for £230 all in, so had it done 4 months ago.they even did an oil change free of charge:p
So far no problems and the fuel consumption is better, now getting 500 miles before the fuel light comes on compared to around 400.:confused:
I also have had the belts done and changed the water pump to the metal one £200 all in at a Seat dealers

steve wheatley
04-08-2009, 11:28 AM
check to see if it has a one way cluth on the alternator they seize up and make the tensioner clatter look to see if the tensioner is bouncing at tickover if it is take off belt see if noise goes and then check 1 way clutch

russ01539
30-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Just update you all, it was the DMF that was away,
tried to get one cheap but gave up and called the dealer. Chathams in Edinburgh
He then gave me some good news, he could fit the full old type system, flywheel and clutch for £230 all in, so had it done 4 months ago.they even did an oil change free of charge:p
So far no problems and the fuel consumption is better, now getting 500 miles before the fuel light comes on compared to around 400.:confused:
I also have had the belts done and changed the water pump to the metal one £200 all in at a Seat dealers

Should have taken it to a Skoda dealer. There is a re-call on DMF units on Octavias and all VW's. They do exactly what you have had done. For free. :Blush2:

Crasher
30-01-2011, 08:56 PM
On a very limited number of cars and this post started in August 2008!