PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter renew 1.9 TDi (for JR001)

Dave Avant
27-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Remove caps on engine cover (circled red) Undo nuts x3 underneath caps, remove dipstick, remove cover.

Use pliers to bring back spring clamps (circled red) and wiggle off rubber pipes x2.

Remove spring clip, then pull/lift out twin pipe connection.

Unscrew allen bolt (not completely) so the filter can be loose and be removed upwards. (Observe height of filter).

Place new filter inplace at same height of old filter, doesn't need to be exact, but so the drain plug underneath has room underneath and its not to high to foul the engine cover of strain rubber fuel pipes and tighten allen bolt, not too tight, but so the filter is secure.

Renew blue and black rubber seals on twin pipe connection.

Refit pipes in same place, observing the fuel flow arrows, basically fit as old filter was, should have twin connection on right hand side.

Start engine and check for leaks. The engine may after a some seconds judder slightly as the fuel fills the filter replacing the air.

If OK refit engine cover.

auiron
29-01-2007, 02:57 AM
I found it's best to fill the new filter with fresh diesel as it saves having to keep churning the engine over. Excellent all the same.

Dave Avant
29-01-2007, 11:14 AM
I did think that as its an upright filter, but didn't have any spare diesel. The engine didn't need to be churned over, it just did a splutter after a about 30 secs of running.

JR001
08-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Cheers Dave,
I've got the elsawin manual stuff all the same. Thanks for the advice mate. I'm looking to get ramps soon so that I can get underneath for the oil plug.

Sorry to hear your wee box didn't suit your car, but mine's is still doing well. It's in getting rear wheel arch scrape and dent repaired. It's taking TWO whole weeks to repair which is a fu!!in joke, particularly when one of Auiron's videos shows it being done in a couple of hours!!!
Quite clearly my repairers can't do it!!

Best wishes,
JOHN

Huweth
08-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Nice write-up. I'll be referring to this when I change my filter soon. With regards to refilling the filter, it's essential on the non-PD engines as there is no pump in the tank. PD engines don't have to have the filter primed. Still, it's best to do so. If you have some fresh diesel, use that. If it's impractical or an emergency, you can just pour the diesel from the old filter into the new one if it's not going to clog the new filter straight away!
Thanks!

Dave Avant
09-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Cheers Dave,
I've got the elsawin manual stuff all the same. Thanks for the advice mate. I'm looking to get ramps soon so that I can get underneath for the oil plug.

Sorry to hear your wee box didn't suit your car, but mine's is still doing well. It's in getting rear wheel arch scrape and dent repaired. It's taking TWO whole weeks to repair which is a fu!!in joke, particularly when one of Auiron's videos shows it being done in a couple of hours!!!
Quite clearly my repairers can't do it!!

Best wishes,
JOHN

Just thought I'd post it up for you as wanted some DIY tips etc. Yeah the box just made the idle annoyingly lumpy, but since on odd occasion, I have felt the engine do it very very very slightly after removal. I think its one of those things thats eccentuated by the box, but normally OK. I may get it fault checked just to check.

Don't forget to have some sturdy planks ready for the ramps as modern cars have bigger lower bumpers that catch as you drive up the ramps due to the incline. This also reduces the risk of the ramp skidding away as you drive up. I used some on the drive which was paved, so I stuck thick nails inbetween the flags and put the ramps upto them so they don't skid away. :beerchug:

Col
09-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Nice write up but there seems to be a piccy missing of the 'o' rings for the fuel stat where it pushes into the filter body, here is one I took earlier ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/colin__/P2030067.jpg

Not changing the 'o' rings means your leaving yourself open to air / fuel leaks as they are quite fragile and could easily be damaged during the rigours of the filter change.

You should get the 'o' rings in a little placky bag with the filter.

Dave Avant
09-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Look at the 4th picture for the seals. ;)

Col
11-02-2007, 01:33 AM
Look at the 4th picture for the seals. ;)

I pity the fool (such as myself) who looked at the pictures and completely missed that ! :Blush2: