PDA

View Full Version : Lifting the wipers up

Berkshire_Boy76
29-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Hi Guys,

Maybe i'm imagining things here - I was giving the car only it's second wash yesterday and went to lift the wipers up to clean the botton the windscreen.

Everything seems to allign (bonnet etc), there just doesn't seem to be enough room for the wiper legs to clear the bonnet, so I can't lift the wipers.

Tell me I never managed to lift the wipers on it's first wash a couple weeks back - like I thought I did? :confused:

I'm going to check the manual (doubt there will be anything in it though)when I have time later, but this seems strange? Fair enough if they don't lift (like my Golf), but I'm sure I lifted them the other week as I would have noticed then if they never?

Cheers.

gamichea
29-08-2008, 08:49 AM
The handbook should tell you how to put the arms in the service position (upright at offside screen edge) so they can be lifted clear. Surely that applies to the Golf, too? If not changing the blades must be a bit of a struggle.

Berkshire_Boy76
29-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the quick reply - I got confused as I was sure I had down this 2 weeks back, but yesterday (when i was rushed), couldn't see how they could clear the edge of the bonnet.

My Golf (2001), you simply lift the wipers up, there is plenty of room for them to clear the bonnet.

Easy enough to raise them just enough for cleaning yesterday (just), but yes, i was wondering about blade changing in the future, and thought there must be a way (don't know what i had done 2 weeks back?)

Thanks.

Stuart W
29-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Everything seems to allign (bonnet etc), there just doesn't seem to be enough room for the wiper legs to clear the bonnet, so I can't lift the wipers.

You can lift them up far enough to get the sponge underneath them, and this is also adequate for changing the blades, at least on my motor.

I've yet to have them in the service position.

j40aja
29-08-2008, 09:42 AM
When you've switched the engine off and take the key out push down on the wiper stalk. This put the wipers into the vertical position(service position). They stay there until you start the car and flick the wiper salk again.

It works either with the key still in or having just taken it out, I can't remember off hand which way round it is. It'll be obvious when you try.