PDA

View Full Version : whats going on excessive diesel usage!

vw754
26-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Filled up to the top,from shell (86.9 pece per litre) drove nice and nomal(no heavy right foot used) did 100.3 miles,went back to shell cost me 19.00 pounds! to fill up again!

Whats going on,new temp sensor fitted fully serviced,it does take a few seconds to start,but only sometimes weather engine is hot or cold,will this make a difference? plenty of power in the car. Im sure it should of used no more than 10 pounds.

HELP! A4 TDI 130BHP AWX ENGINE 2001 (B6)

skymaster
26-01-2007, 11:41 PM
What MPG does the trip computer say you are getting as an average?

vw754
27-01-2007, 12:07 AM
it dont,mine is the standard 130bhp a4 without multifunction,ive set the trip to "0" and done 100.3 miles and filled up. ive been told it maybe the thermostat opening tooo early??????????

skymaster
27-01-2007, 12:15 AM
Oh sorry, I didn't realise you could get them without the DIS system. And I thought my SE was basic!!!

vw754
27-01-2007, 12:27 AM
you have dis,and leather wheel,these are the only differences.;)

devonutopia
27-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Well, roughly you must have used about 23 litres of diesel then (£19 @ 86.
9ppl) Which then means it must be about 5 gallons, meaning 20mpg. That's shocking for a diesel, even one running a bit badly.

Might sound silly, but on the first fill-up, was it brim full, and then brimmed again - just to ensure comparability (tell, I do auditing?.... :D)

Other than that, see if you can get your car vagcom'd or plugged in at a dealership to see where your engine may be having issues. I can do this, but it means a trip to the end of the M5.

vw754
27-01-2007, 12:41 AM
did a full scan on vag-com...no faults found. What issues? it runs great,sum say change maf,and 1 says change thermostat.

devonutopia
27-01-2007, 12:47 AM
Well, the MAF and stat must be OK, as the car isn't reporting any issues with them through vag com. Has the service done anything I wonder? Wasn't a cambelt service was it?

Maybe try some fuel additive to clear out the system a bit? Still, I'm shocked by 20mpg....

Del75
27-01-2007, 12:52 AM
Maybe try some fuel additive to clear out the system a bit? Still, I'm shocked by 20mpg....[/quote]

do the fuel additives work, i seen redex in my local store, but wary of putting it into the tank case it goes B A N G ! ! ! ! ! LOL:biglaugh:

devonutopia
27-01-2007, 01:00 AM
I'm a devotee of using Millers Diesel Power PLus in mine - every tankful. About to get some Millers Diesel Sport 4 - a new additive aimed at the more modern TDI engines. Meant to give excellent results.

vw754
27-01-2007, 01:04 AM
used PROTECH diesel treatment

PROTEC DIESEL SYSTEM CLEANER if (topFrame.coreLoaded) {document.write(coreFrame.convertshow("17.50",'1,2'));}
Will stop diesels smoking instantly! Essential for MOT testing
http://www.click2add.co.uk/media/protec-dsc_sm.jpg
PROTEC diesel system cleaner - cleans, lubricates, conditions.

PROTEC Diesel System Cleaner will remove gums and varnishes from throughout the fuel system and will eliminate bacterial growth from the fuel tank. An extremely complex and advanced conditioner, this product has an alkaline composition that neutralizes acidic material formed in the engine during combustion.
The tendency of diesel to degrade in storage, leading to the formation of insoluble residueswhich can cause premature blocking of fuel line filters, has been shown in tests to be markedly reduced by the use of PROTEC Diesel System cleaner in the fuel. Additionally, all vehicles suffer from moisture in the diesel tanks, which in turn, results in biological activity. PROTEC Diesel System Cleaner eliminates this, destroying the bacteria and reducing the corrosive effect of moisture in the fuel. The use of PROTEC Diesel System Cleaner also reduces the 'pour point' of the fuel, which means that it will flow more freely at much lower temperatures, thus improving cold weather operation. Test data both in the field and under laboratory conditions, shows that the use of Diesel System Cleaner improves injector cleanliness and extends injector life, (by a factor of 6 with regular use). The more efficient spray pattern that results, increases fuel efficiency, giving better economy and minimizing exhaust smoke.
PROTEC Diesel System Cleaner will :

Clean injectors, nozzles, compression rings and valve seatings.
Control smoke emissions.
Remove tars and varnishes.
Improve fuel stability.
Prevent wax formation and reduce 'pour point' down to -28C
Isolate moisture in the fuel.
Lubricate the moving parts of the fuel system.

vw754
27-01-2007, 01:05 AM
cambelt been changed around 7 months ago so isnt an issue here,new fuel filter,air and pollen changed and oil+filter (all dealer supplied)

Del75
27-01-2007, 01:10 AM
i have a 94 audi 80 estate, seems peeps like the fuel additives, and suggestions on wat i can use for my 1.6 petrol engine ?:1zhelp:

vw754
27-01-2007, 01:29 AM
TRY THIS!!!
PROTEC FUEL LINE CLEANER if (topFrame.coreLoaded) {document.write(coreFrame.convertshow("17.50",'1,2'));}
Recommended by manufacturers!
http://www.click2add.co.uk/media/protec-flc_sm.jpg
PROTEC fuel line cleaner - a cleaner for the entire petrol fuel system

PROTEC fuel line cleaner is the first of the two topical fuel products, and is the product that manufacturers recommend. Modern engines are smaller and work harder, putting out more and more power whilst operating at very high temperatures.
Deposits on inlet valves, in the carburetor or injectors will have an extremely adverse effect on the performance, the fuel economy and the driveability of the vehicle.
Added directly to the fuel tank, this product is completely compatible with the Catalytic Convertor and is frequently used to clean the lambda sensor and help combat the 'rotten egg' smell often associated with the cats.
PROTEC fuel line cleaner will :

Remove gums and varnishes from the complete fuel system.
Remove insolubles from fuel tanks, caused by oxidation of fuel.
Reduce and prevent carbon build-up within the combustion area.
Clean and free sticking valves.
Remove moisture from the fuel system

Del75
27-01-2007, 02:01 AM
ok, i think the petro lline cleaner is a american product, im in uk and havent seen that one here, u know of anything in uk ??

vw754
27-01-2007, 02:14 AM
I CAN GET THESE FROM STOKE!

Del75
27-01-2007, 02:16 AM
Stoke ? really, ok thx, i,ll go hunting for it soon.

thx m8ty

vw754
27-01-2007, 02:17 AM
WHERE ARE YOU BASED?

Del75
27-01-2007, 02:20 AM
near belfast

vw754
27-01-2007, 02:24 AM
IF YOU CANT GET IT ,PAYME THROUGH PAYPAL,AND I WILL POST IT FOR YOU,ITS PRICED AT 9.99 PER TIN+POSTAGE,HOPE YOU FIND IT NEARER

madfella65
27-01-2007, 02:26 AM
vw754 - have you got a/c on ( i.e. is ECON button lit up or not) also had you back window / wing mirror demister on? basically was there anything out of the ordinary?
i drive my car .... some would say hard.... i average 47MPG with A/C on (motorway & town)

Del75
27-01-2007, 02:27 AM
IF YOU CANT GET IT ,PAYME THROUGH PAYPAL,AND I WILL POST IT FOR YOU,ITS PRICED AT 9.99 PER TIN+POSTAGE,HOPE YOU FIND IT NEARER

thnx m8, i,ll keep it in mind

vw754
27-01-2007, 02:30 AM
E-CON IS ALWAYS LIT UP,IVE BEEN TOLD IF ITS OFF I WILL USE MORE FUEL,REAR DEMISTER ONLY ON FOR A BIT (AUTO SHUT OFF)

skymaster
29-01-2007, 11:59 AM
vw754 - have you got a/c on ( i.e. is ECON button lit up or not) also had you back window / wing mirror demister on? basically was there anything out of the ordinary?
i drive my car .... some would say hard.... i average 47MPG with A/C on (motorway & town)

47 MPG as an average??? Thats pretty damn good. What engine have you got in yours?

madfella65
29-01-2007, 01:25 PM
1.9TDI (130) tell a lie on DIS Screen 2 (over 60 hours of driving) its actually 45 - not 47.... sorry!

skymaster
29-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Mmmm, even 45 is pretty good. I also have a 130 and I get about 35 ish as an average. But I do do more town driving and it's a quattro so I guess that makes a difference. I am not hammering it though, always take it very gently in the first few miles until the temp gauge is up. (trying to look after the turbo as well) I did expect a bit more to be honest.

madfella65
29-01-2007, 01:59 PM
town driving is very hard on diesel - is yours 5 or 6 speed? I use cruise control a lot on motorway (stops me pressing and releasing the throttle - which i would guess would contribute to more fuel usage.....?) mine is 5 speed and i reckon i could get higher MPG from a 6 speed

skymaster
29-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Hi

Mine is a 6 speeder. I have yet to try it on a long motor way run as yet. I did a 35 mile run yesterday on A roads but there were plenty of roundabouts and a few junctions. Have not tried the cruise control yet.

It's just been serviced with all filters changed and tyre pressures are all correct. It's got longlife oil in it as well. Although 35 aint too bad. It's a very heavy car at the end of the day

madfella65
29-01-2007, 02:41 PM
this could be time for an 'Ask the audience' see what MPG people are getting!

skymaster
29-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Yes, Good idea. Maybe everyone should post engine, gearbox and quattro or 2wd then their MGP. Should we start a new thread for this?

DaveF
07-02-2007, 04:11 PM
I had MAF sensor give low reading - no Fault codes on VAG-COM but reading from this sensor showed about 1/10th of the "suggested" reading. Didn't cause any problem with fuel consuption but car wouldn't rev over 3000rpm.
Replaced it with a £40 non OEM unit from GSF.