PDA

View Full Version : Scirocco Engine

danbailey77
26-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Just wondered if anyone knew which engine we're getting with the scirocco. I read in a few places that its the new EA888 version, lighter and more effiient with torque lower in the revs than the old version but the power is being quoted as 197bhp as in the old GTi. I also read that the MkIV Gti will have 211bhp - can anyone help?

descb600f
27-08-2008, 06:07 PM
If you read the Top Gear review it would suggest that your correct.

As for the MkIV I take it you mean the MkVI

iroc
27-08-2008, 08:34 PM
See attached link

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/227061/next-vw-golf-gti-taking-shape.html

jasongled1
28-08-2008, 12:45 PM
From reading other forums i think its the same engine thats in the new US golf gti which has some major changes to it. Its got an engine cover with TSI on it but is still a TFSI not twin charged like the 1.4's. Changes include a timing chain and not belt like the old one, high pressure fuel pump, twin balancer shafts, lower compression ratio of 9.6:1 as opposed to 10.3:1 an oil cooler, different turbo an IHI model apparently and a new med17.5 ECU. The engine in the golf is a CCTA now instead of a BPY and both APR and REVO are in the final stages of developing aftermarket bits for it. It is a lighter unit and does develope the same amount of torque but at a lower RPM and is better on fuel and emissions.

maisbitt
29-08-2008, 04:35 PM
According to VW's own UK website, the GT Scirocco comes with the 200ps TFSI engine that is currently in the Mk5 Golf GTI. CO2 emission levels and MPG data suggest it is the same engine with no improving modifications.

Recent press speculation is that the Mk 6 GTI will come with the valvelift equipped 211ps 2.0 TFSI engine that is now in the new A4 and A5 (and 43mpg combined in the A4).

I want a Scirocco with that engine, maybe with the new Euro V emissions regs coming in for 2010 it will be worth VW's while putting that in the Scirocco later.

jasongled1
30-08-2008, 09:19 AM
maisbitt it still is a TFSI engine its only the engine cover that says TSI but it is in no way the same as the current Golf GTI, the engine is totally different but doesn't contain the valve lift of the new Audi engine. I have been in contact with APR and they have confirmed what i said above so no engine mods are available for the Scirocco as yet!

maisbitt
01-09-2008, 08:33 AM
It's a pity that the valvelift 211ps engine isn't in the scirocco yet, but with that engine being so much cleaner than the current 200ps engine, i'm pretty sure it'll make it's way into the line-up when the Euro V emissions are enforceable in 2010.

If the valvelift engine is good for 42.9mpg combined in the A4, it's got to be close to pushing 45mpg in a Golf or Scirocco. With the price difference between petrol and Diesel at the moment there'd be no economic advantage to having the 170ps 2.0TDI over the 211ps petrol engine.

Figures-wise for the 200ps engine currently in the new Scirocco, CO2 and combined mpg seem near identical to the engine used in the standard MkV Golf GTI, for the improvements quoted above (timing chain etc), they seem to be aimed at improving reliability rather than economy.

jasongled1
01-09-2008, 01:03 PM
They cracked the tuning in US for the TSi engine, link to thread.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4004390 :beerchug:

descb600f
01-09-2008, 05:59 PM
It's a pity that the valvelift 211ps engine isn't in the scirocco yet, but with that engine being so much cleaner than the current 200ps engine, i'm pretty sure it'll make it's way into the line-up when the Euro V emissions are enforceable in 2010.

If the valvelift engine is good for 42.9mpg combined in the A4, it's got to be close to pushing 45mpg in a Golf or Scirocco. With the price difference between petrol and Diesel at the moment there'd be no economic advantage to having the 170ps 2.0TDI over the 211ps petrol engine.

Figures-wise for the 200ps engine currently in the new Scirocco, CO2 and combined mpg seem near identical to the engine used in the standard MkV Golf GTI, for the improvements quoted above (timing chain etc), they seem to be aimed at improving reliability rather than economy.

That would kind of depend on real world figures rather than in a sterile room on a rolling road.

maisbitt
05-09-2008, 04:09 PM
I'd say that it's almost a certainty that the 211ps valvelift 2.0TFSI engine will end up in the Scirocco very soon. If you look on Germany's own VW site, it gives far more technical info than that present on the UK site. The new common rail 140PS 2.0TDI and the 1.4TSI are both stated as Euro V compliant under the Scirocco details. The 2.0TSI on the other hand is only categorised as Euro IV. If they'd tweaked it enough to be clean enough for the Euro V emissions class already then I doubt they'd have categorised it as a Euro IV.

For that reason, I think that in a years time, they'll have to stick the valvelift version in before the 2010 Euro V emissions class becomes legally binding.

mister.c.
03-12-2008, 05:36 PM
FWIW: My understanding is there are two versions of the 2.0T EA888 engine - the one that is in the A3 and the Roc (though there is still 15co2 differences (ROC 179, A3 164) between the two!) and one that is in the A4 and the A5; in the A5 there are two different power versions, the 180 and the 211.

As has mentioned there is no valve lift in the one in the A3 / Roc. It will be this engine that is in the Golf MVI GTI - Auto Express, as is their want, have guessed incorrectly. The A4 and A5 engine is not compatible with going in the smaller VAG cars.

From what I have read on-line a while back (and I cant find the links at the moment!) the version in the A4/A5 cannot be used in its current form in the A3 (different size, set up etc, which does not fit in the A3/Roc). Having driven the Roc, a 2007 A3 2.0TFSI and a 58 plate facelift A3 2.0TFSI, it was clear to me a newer engine is in the Rocco and the 58 Plate A3. Much more torquier (not a word, but what the hell!)

Of course there will be nothing to stop the version in the smaller vehicles to have refinements such as the valve lift system.

wigit
04-12-2008, 04:36 PM
tg in the car of the year mag picked up on the new engine mapping, there is definately more low down grunt than my previous a3 (which was impressive), 4th gear is smoother at lower speeds, mk6 gti does get a new engine as output similar to a4/a5 so who knows

Jedimaster65
04-01-2009, 12:46 PM
I am a bit surprised VW didn't fit the 237Bhp engine used in the Seat Leon Cupra ?

Seems Odd not to go for the upgraded engine in the Sirocco too ?

george_sk
07-04-2009, 04:02 PM
I've heard some rumors that every Scirocco that will be manufactured after the 22nd week of 2009 will be subjected to some changes. 1.like the passat cc's white screen trip computer 2.new steering wheel (the low-cut remains) 3.new a/c controls(like golf gti mkvi and passat cc) 4.keyless entry 5. adaptive cruise control 6.an evolution of RCD-310 7. 1-2 rim designs 8.new interior colours 9. led drls 10. the new 2.0 liter engine(208-211bhp golf gti mkvi)

maisbitt
07-04-2009, 04:51 PM
All those changes sound positive. I was thinking that VW might cut the equipment list for UK cars to avoid hiking the price up as the pound is so poor against the euro at the moment. Of course those changes might be to justify a price rise, if there is one on the cards. I hope not - i'm looking to get a Scirocco in sept or next march if VW finally hoy a 170TDI lump in.

george_sk
07-04-2009, 05:28 PM
I gather as much info as i can on this particular subject, because i must make my mind within the next 5-7 days and order the car. In Greece(where i live), the goverment reduced, only for a 4 month period(due to the economic crisis) , some taxes by 50% that are related to the customs that each car goes through before it's delivered to a customer. (These taxes only go for greece, and especially with used vehicles. for example if you find a car in ,let's say, www.mobile.de, and it cost's 20.000euro, you go to germany, you buy it,...and that's all-------no!!!!-------, in Greece you have one month deadline after the purchase, so that you may take it to the customs where you pay a tax that is related to the price of the car,how old it is, the extras it has,,...... e.t.c===>for a scirocco 2.0 at least 4.000 euros more ). So, every country that is in E.U pays 20.000euro but in Greece''''NO"" you must pay X0.000 +X.000 tax!!!!! The E.U. says that this is illegal and my country pays a fine for this ''special'' regulation. But they don't abandon this measure as the money they get from me and other suckers are way more than the fine ''they'' pay(which also comes from our wallets).

SO this is my opportunity to buy a 2.0lt car at a price, equal to the price that every italian, german,etc....pays for the same a car..... (and in greece we get 1/3 of the salary than a german gets)

mordred1973
17-10-2009, 11:47 PM
and the VW website now says it is the 210ps engine, but without and economy or emissions data, so yep it finally made it. well I run a Leon TFSi 200ps and that returns about 28mpg, so assuming the 210 is more ecomonical I'd guess at about 30mpg.....