PDA

View Full Version : Golf Match Bluemotion - A Drivers View

starfighter
26-08-2008, 10:09 PM
As stated elsewhere, I ordered a Golf Match Bluemotion in April and have now had it a week. Here are my initial thoughts.

Specification

Steel Gray Metallic with Anthracite trim - The Metallic paint actually dropped the lease cost per month and my dealer showed my both interiors and my Kids would kill the lighter grey.
Storeage Pack - This has the draws under both seats, usefull for notebooks etc that I need for work and a lugguage net to stop stuff sliding around in the back. I like a tidy car.
The Dealer
The car is a Lex lease and was delivered by Blade in Gloucester. They had the decency to give me a test drive in a standard 1.9TDI and return my calls. Thanks Peter! I have no concerns at all about the service from them which was great from start to finish. The car had 29 miles at delivery, built in Wolfsberg and registered in Peterborough for some reason.

First Impressions
There is very little noise from either the engine or the tyres. Cold idle has a soft rattle for about 2 minutes when standing, but this becomes almost inaudable after about half a mile. Hot starts are quiet from the off. The ride is very quiet at speed and once warmed up there is vertually no sound when at idle (to the point I thought I'd stalled it).

The low rolling resistance tyres fitted are a 65 profile and would appear to suit the car. The suspension is firmer than the standard Match I test drove but not enough to cause any excessive vibration or discomfort. I did notice some shake when driving over a short section of concrete on the A1/M but it was not a real problem.

The gear ratios are fine. The gap between 2 and 3 is not that large and suits my driving style anyway. Fisrt does tent to flat spot at around 2500rpm but that might just be my foot work as the throttle pivots from the bottom and I'm not used to it.

The gear shift indicator appears fairly close to where I'd change anyway. I've driven to what it says and it gets it right most of the time. It doews appear to be aware of throttle possition as well as road, engine speed and doesn't just indicate early shifts as I have seen on the Civic VTec-E. Obviously it cannot predict the road ahead to it inicates shifts when using gears for flexibility when dealing with multiple hazards.

Real World Economy

5 mile commute from cold, half at 70 - 55mpg
150 mile motorway run from cold including 20 minutes stop/start - 62.8mpg
Running In Plan
I was told that any plan for running in would be OK so long as I didn't treat it like a race engine. With plenty of power and the low revs at cruising speeds there is no need to do anything really special.

I will be getting the oild and filter swapped out at around 1000 miles as I have some speciallised knowledge of machining and bearing surface textures.

The body has had 3 coats of Autoglym Super Resin Polish and 2 coats of Extra Gloss PRotection. This went on quickly and water now runs off rather than pooling.

General Stuff - Not specific to Blumotion
The near side door mirror could do with having the split on it for a wider range when pulling in or manouvering. I could retrofit this but will make that call later.
The iPod connection does not have adapters for the current Nano - Come on VW, this has been out for 12 months now and all I want is a bit of plastic! The lack of ID3 data is well documented which is a real shame as this works great on MP3 disks.
Why are ther 6 cup holders in a car with 5 seats?
The coat hook on the B pillar blocks the rear window when taking a life-saver check of the blind spots. The one on the grab handle is fine though.

More comments to follow when I get more miles on the car. I'll monitor and see if I can answer questions.

Jeff

pulsaret
26-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Can you post some picks?

minimadmotorman
27-08-2008, 09:15 AM
The fuel consumption figures you have so far seem to tally with what i got from my demo car. On a run of approx 240 miles of mostly motorway cruising @ 70-75 with approx 20 minutes of town driving I managed an average of 65.6mpg.

That vehicle had done approximately 650 miles when i recieved it and went back with 990 miles on it. Over the time I had it my total average as recorded by the trip computer was 60.2mpg. This included a morning of brisk driving over the moors.

pulsaret
27-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Fuel consumption is looking very good,how much better will they get once they have don a few miles?
Mine is getting built next week:biglaugh: and my C1 goes on friday,so SuperTen for the rest of the month,hope the weatheri s kind to me:p

starfighter
27-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Can you post some picks?
Anything specific or just general shots?

pulsaret
27-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Just general

starfighter
31-08-2008, 01:27 PM
OK, here are some pictures...

General Views....
http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff360/JSH_Photo_UK/Golf%20Bluemotion/DSCF2896.jpg

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff360/JSH_Photo_UK/Golf%20Bluemotion/DSCF2910.jpg

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff360/JSH_Photo_UK/Golf%20Bluemotion/DSCF2899.jpg

Fuel Economy
http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff360/JSH_Photo_UK/Golf%20Bluemotion/DSCF2902.jpg

Jeff

pulsaret
31-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Looks very nice.Does it look abit lower than a normal Golf? Arn't the bluemotions about 1 inch lower,due to having sports suspension?

starfighter
31-08-2008, 09:24 PM
The car is about 15mm lower than the standard model and a little firmer with the Eco tyres as well. I'm glad of the 65 profile.

Jeff

pulsaret
06-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Does yours have the Conti's or Michelin tyres? How are you finding them? Does the grip feel there in the wet?

starfighter
07-09-2008, 05:45 PM
The tyres are Continental Conti-Eco 195/65R16T. There is very little road noise from them and they are grippy enough either wet or dry. I did a very wet cross-country run last week and the road holding was fault less. There were 2 very clear tracks behind me so the water clearing is very good.

I tried a hard stop in the wet from about 30mph (to try and get the ABS to kick in) and it pulled up very well (no ABS so I'll need to find som wet grass!).

Economy overy the frist 1000 miles is 63mpg. I have it booked in for an oil and filter on Wednesday. Shold have done about 1300 miles by then.

Jeff

starfighter
13-09-2008, 01:19 PM
1000 Mile Oil Change

I had the car back to my supplying dealer for an oil change at just shy of 3 weeks and 1200 miles. A full oil service was done, total cost £110 and this included a check of the tyre depth (guess what, 8mm all around!) and some other checks that are a waste of time on what is still ineffect a brand new car. Prior to dropping it is I did a check and the oil was the usual black with no emulsification, so far so good.

Post change I did a visual check of the filter and there was some material on the surfaces of the fabric weave. I then broke down the filter and put the filter midia under a microscope. There were a couple of larger metalic particles typical of machining chips / swarf (0.2 x 0.5 x 2.5mm) and a larger number of smaller particles which were a mix of metalics and crystalin forms. A check under the oil cap found some evidence of running marks on the bearing surfaces visible using an endoscope.

Counclusion - The filter appears to be capable of capturing even quite small particles. The initial engine build does not appear to have been cleaned particularly well with machining debris still in it. The sludge residue left in the filter appears to be the very small amounts of material that are from the self-lapping of the bearing surfaces.

pulsaret
16-09-2008, 06:21 AM
Are you going to do another oil change before the 10000 mile service?

starfighter
16-09-2008, 07:59 PM
No. The plan is to follow the service plan from now on. Based on anticipated use it will be at around 20k.

My concern was around the amount of debris left in the engine and the removel of small particles from the surface layers of the bearing surfaces.

Jeff

pulsaret
02-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Got mine:D All good so far,done 200 miles and averaging 59.3mpg(all b roads).

minimadmotorman
03-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Mine isnt going to arrive until the end of this month now :(

Gutted.

Plus I am on holiday when it is supposed to arrive so I am going to have to trust our OAP transport manager to inspect it.

starfighter
03-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Well, here's a mileage summary at just short of 3000 miles in 7 weeks.

Commuting - cold starts and 5 miles of stop start - 50-55mpg
Long runs, A roads over the Cotswolds and lots of roundabout 62.65mpg (I hate driving in Milton Keynes)
Same run and spanking it - 59.9mpg
Sustained motorway runs at 70 - 65mpg
My best so far was a 150 mile run from Gloucestershire to Cambridge via Birmingham which gave 69.9 due to slower cruising traffic on the A14. Sat on flat roads doing 50-60 gave instant figure steady at over 100mpg.

I now have it full of Shell V-Power diesel - lets see what that does.

Jeff

pulsaret
06-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Mine has now pulled up to 60.2mpg(470miles) Let us know how you get on with the Shell V-Power

mluton
06-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Great motors for eco drving. Nice write up.

stamfordharry
13-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Mine has now pulled up to 60.2mpg(470miles) Let us know how you get on with the Shell V-Power
Got mine 3 weeks ago this wednesday coming from Liverpool VW waited nearly 3 months for delivery have :wizard:done 1400 miles very happy so far averaging 63.5 per gallon
Lot more comfortable compared to previous cars (french and italian) that company have supplied.
Have got slight wind noise from drivers door seal at anything over 55 mph
will have to get sorted

pulsaret
14-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Got mine 3 weeks ago this wednesday coming from Liverpool VW waited nearly 3 months for delivery have :wizard:done 1400 miles very happy so far averaging 63.5 per gallon
Lot more comfortable compared to previous cars (french and italian) that company have supplied.
Have got slight wind noise from drivers door seal at anything over 55 mph
will have to get sorted

Thats funny,mine has a wind noise from the drivers door as well:confused:

stamfordharry
16-10-2008, 09:22 AM
Wind noise no more man in garage showed me top of door out of allignment took him 2 minutes 2 sort no more wind noise:biglaugh::approve::wizard:

crazyhawk
24-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Been driving mine for about a month now as a company car, and really enjoy it. I've come from driving a Honda Accord company car that I inherited, and it's so much nicer to drive ( and a lot less on the tax). I especially like the fact that for a few seconds on the motorway, I can get the mpg over 200 miles!

minimadmotorman
03-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Picked mine up from the office car park yesterday morning upon my return from holiday. Decided to give it a baptism of fire and went to blackpool for the afternoon/illuminations. Managed 62mpg which i was thoroughly impressed with. Has done about 55mpg on my usual commute to work this morning which is 10mpg better than my Passat used to manage.

Just got to get some genuine floor mats for it and a couple of coats of wax on it for the winter.

Gayno
14-11-2008, 06:50 PM
I've had mine since mid-September and have just done over 6000 miles since.

I'm getting regular returns of over 650 miles per tank.

However I have noticed an issue with the gear change indicator. Every so often it will change, almost as if it's switched to a different map in the ECU and it want me to drive it much harder. IE It will want to be in 2nd at 35-35 when noramlly it will be 4th.

It seems to do this randomly, then will switch back anything between 2 minutes - 2 hours later.

Has anyone else experienced this??

Also, my accelerator pedal snapped at the hinge yesterday!! But this was promptly replaced under warranty by the supplying dealer, who also cleaned the car inside and out!!

pulsaret
14-11-2008, 07:13 PM
I've had mine since mid-September and have just done over 6000 miles since.

I'm getting regular returns of over 650 miles per tank.

However I have noticed an issue with the gear change indicator. Every so often it will change, almost as if it's switched to a different map in the ECU and it want me to drive it much harder. IE It will want to be in 2nd at 35-35 when noramlly it will be 4th.

It seems to do this randomly, then will switch back anything between 2 minutes - 2 hours later.

Has anyone else experienced this??

Also, my accelerator pedal snapped at the hinge yesterday!! But this was promptly replaced under warranty by the supplying dealer, who also cleaned the car inside and out!!

Mine does the gear change thing sometimes.I need to take it is for the wind noise from the drivrs door,i will ask them then

starfighter
14-11-2008, 07:42 PM

This is the DPF cleaning cycle. It requires the engine to be run much hotter to burn off the carbon.

Jeff

stamfordharry
14-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Mine does the gear change thing sometimes.I need to take it is for the wind noise from the drivrs door,i will ask them then
have had door seals changed under wty at last after 5 visits noise is better but not as quiet as i expected :Blush: as for gear indicator i drive it in the gear that i think is correct and forget what it suggests cause it cant see what hazards etc that r in front or behind i think its more of a guide:beerchug:

starfighter
15-11-2008, 05:14 PM
as for gear indicator i drive it in the gear that i think is correct and forget what it suggests cause it cant see what hazards etc that r in front or behind i think its more of a guide

Absolutely the correct thing to do Safe - Systematic - Smooth - Speed and in that order.

Jeff

Seboni121
13-03-2012, 08:19 PM
I've just bought 61 plate match blue motion tech, great drive but I think the passengers door is out slightly at the top

stamfordharry
13-03-2012, 08:59 PM
My 58 reg has been a good car due for replacement later this year
Had to have all 4 doors adjusted due to wind noises
Fuel pump gave save issues
Radio/cd player replaced
Alarm failed to work was replaced under warranty after a lot of discussion with main dealer due to the fact car had been taken out of VW loop for service but has full service history and has had all filters/oil etc replaced with product that meets manufactures specifacation
At the end of the day VW do not make filters or oil it is only a boxing exersice