PDA

View Full Version : tdi will not start

hubbarda
26-08-2008, 11:38 AM
hi i have a octavia tdi (2000) which will not start. it turns over have noticed glow plug light on dash is not coming on plus cannot hear any relays doing anything when i switch on ignition any help would appreciated before admitting defeat and getting to garage
thanks

this is my first post hope sending to right place sorry if i am doing something wrong

hubbarda
28-08-2008, 09:05 AM
after reading many things on internet one thing kept coming up relay 109
fuel pump so located it behind dash on drivers side behind diagnostic point
took it out had cover off relay could see a dry joint on the printed cicuit board so resoldered joints and put back in and seems yo have cured problem .have run car nearly 2 days without problems but have bought new relay [cheap enough) to keep in car hope this helps any one else with same problem

greg123
05-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Well done for finding it. The glow plug initial flash is to indicate ECU power, which is why it wasn't coming on as relay 109 powers the ecu.

The new one you got is a later revision - fit it and forget the problem. Your old one may still fail in another way so I'd swap them.

Greg.

99999richard
23-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Hi thanks I have a very similar problem with a 1999 octi sx tdi

the glow plug light flickers and the car wont start

I have suspected a relay and now that you have had a result i will try the same and let you know!!!!!!!!!!

This sharing of info is exactly the reason we have internet:

fantastic!!!

99999richard
24-11-2009, 05:13 PM
after reading many things on internet one thing kept coming up relay 109
fuel pump so located it behind dash on drivers side behind diagnostic point
took it out had cover off relay could see a dry joint on the printed cicuit board so resoldered joints and put back in and seems yo have cured problem .have run car nearly 2 days without problems but have bought new relay [cheap enough) to keep in car hope this helps any one else with same problem

Hi I had the exact same problem with the glow light flickering on the dash.

I changed relay number 109 and it fixed the non start.

I looked inside and yes a dry joint!!!!!!!!!!

I'm very pleased at having cured this problem and only found the solution from this forum so thanks very much:beerchug: