PDA

View Full Version : Poor cold starting and auto lights

gmac00
25-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Hi,

I have had my Jetta TDi 140 Sport for over a week now have enjoyed it a lot.

I have moved over from a Mazda RX8 and although I do miss the handling of the Rex the torque from this car more than makes up for it, had to use the gears constantly to get anywhere in the Mazda, also 45mpg compared with 18mpg puts a smile on your face:beerchug:

Anyway...my questions.

1. Cold starting:

When I start the car in the morning more often than not the engine stalls, it will move to about 600rpm then just dies. When it does start OK it goes to 600rpm for a second the moves to normal idle speed. Once it is running I have no further problems.

Any thoughts on this?

2 Auto lights???

What is up with them? I was driving along the M8 yesterday and it was sunny day which makes a change and they come on. Turn them of for a bit then back onto auto to see if that corrects them but no, they are still on :confused:

On the flip side of that, this morning it was dark and miserable, raining and horrible........British Summer Time:biglaugh: and they would not come on??

Again any thoughts?

Cheers

gmac00

beesleydog
26-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Re Auto Lights.

I would also like to know why the lights seem to come on when the weather/light is fine. How annoying. :zx11:

Anyone any ideas????????????:confused:

gmac00
26-08-2008, 12:14 PM
I believe the auto light come on over a certain speed that we should not be doing on the public roads:Blush2:

beesleydog
27-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Not sure that the lights are affected by speed. I come out of a city centre at teatime and the traffic is at a snails pace and my lights are on and it is still light. :zx11:

I also have tried switching them from auto to manual to see if they reset and this does nothing.

Some nights when i am pulling into my street I notice that the lights have switched of again.

Is it any thing to do with the set up? I need for my doors to auto lock after 10mph and wondering if it worth a trip to the local VW garage :(.

NascarMike
29-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Just to confirm about the auto lights, they do come on, after a certain speed. I have a Jetta 2.0 TDI SE

I have just returned from Germany where my mate has a Passat Estate & he confirmed this to me, as I was wondering why the lights were coming on, even though the daylight was fine

The speed could be approx 80 mph I think or round about this figure (or equivalent in Kmh).

When traveling along the autobahns you appreciate the light coming on as you can see faster approaching cars coming & they can see you, so you don't get idiots just pulling out on you, especially when you are traveling about 100 mph ( that is in Germany of course).

Hope this helps out.

beesleydog
29-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Had to call into the VW garage a couple of weeks ago as I had misplaced the locking nut fitting. Whilst I was in they had an offer to setup the auto locking when the car reached 5-10 mph for £20.
Have had this set up on all previous cars and yes I know that it is only a 2min job for VW to do but decided to get them to set it up.
When they returned the car they stated that the car needed a sofware update and arrange for this to be carried out at a later date. Any way the locking was sorted and as per normal when driving the lights carried on as normal switching on and off at strange intervals.

However VW collected the car from my work late last week and updated the software and cleaned the inside and outside of the car all for free and he presto my lights now seem to be operating in a normal fashion, if it dark they come on and if not they are off.

Not sure if it is my imagination but has this update sorted the proble????:confused:

I can also now agree with another post now as I have noticed that should my foot accidentally press to hard to the floor and the speed happen to creep above 80 Yes the lights will now switch on wnatever the lighting condition:Blush2:

But as stated in another post this would not happen very often:Blush2:....

Please stick to the speed limit.....I ALWAYS do;)

hvadgama
10-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi,

I have had my Jetta TDi 140 Sport for over a week now have enjoyed it a lot.

I have moved over from a Mazda RX8 and although I do miss the handling of the Rex the torque from this car more than makes up for it, had to use the gears constantly to get anywhere in the Mazda, also 45mpg compared with 18mpg puts a smile on your face:beerchug:

Anyway...my questions.

1. Cold starting:

When I start the car in the morning more often than not the engine stalls, it will move to about 600rpm then just dies. When it does start OK it goes to 600rpm for a second the moves to normal idle speed. Once it is running I have no further problems.

Any thoughts on this?

2 Auto lights???

What is up with them? I was driving along the M8 yesterday and it was sunny day which makes a change and they come on. Turn them of for a bit then back onto auto to see if that corrects them but no, they are still on :confused:

On the flip side of that, this morning it was dark and miserable, raining and horrible........British Summer Time:biglaugh: and they would not come on??

Again any thoughts?

Cheers

gmac00
Had a similar problem with my Jetta 140 TDI Sport. Sometimes lumpy when starting then stalls. Restarting the engine afterwards it then runs fine. It would occasionaly stall also when moving off.

Took the car to VW on Monday 8th June 2009 under warranty and they have done a software upgrade which they say should cure the problem havn't had the problem since. Hopfully cured.

01V5
29-06-2009, 09:51 AM
I also have a TDi 140 and the Auto lights are activated once you've reached 140km/h (87mp/h) and will then deactivate when you go below 70kp/h (43mp/h).

They will also come on if the (automatic) wipers have been on continously for over 10 seconds.

I also have the problem of the lights coming on randomly on a beautiful sunny day. I can't explain it other than a shadow I fall under when driving in the city however I don't have the problem of them not coming on. They even come on in my garage..