PDA

View Full Version : get more for your car by selling or breaking

Loofer
23-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Wasn't really looking to sell my car but I would much prefer a Golf ARL.

My brother sold his Bora in haste yesterday. Had it advertised for £3k but let it go for £2,500.

The chaps that bought it had only just bought another Bora earlier that day. They buy Boras (and a few Golfs)... export them to Romania whereby there local contact converts them to LHD and they are sold locally there.

They said they once sent 36 cars in one month. They are always on the look out for Boras. Asked them out of curiosity what they would give for mine... said they don't pay more than 2500 :(

Got me thinking anyway... I'm off work for a fortnight... could sell mine and it would give me some time to find another one as I won't need it for work until another 2 weeks. Saw a 02 Golf TDI on eBay that had 65000 miles. He said he had the last 4 MOTs to back up the mileage. He advertised it as a 130 but after asking him a few questions and ringing VW I found out it was the 150 ARL;). Reserve was 4500. Didn't go for it tho.

Anyway... moving onto my question... generally speaking, would you consider to make more money by breaking your car and selling parts on eBay or selling it privately (if say I wanted min £3000 for it).

I know there's the hassle of taking the car apart, listing the parts. They may not sell or get the right price. Posting the item out. The space it will take up on the yard and could sit there for ages.

I would have to sell 100 items at an average £30 just to make the £3000 (excluding listing fees and time/effort) - achievable? Obviously things like engine/box/wheels would achieve more.

I'm not seriously thinking of doing it - just intrested to know

STEWY L
23-08-2008, 05:20 PM
what's your facination with the ARL?
they have a reputation for falling apart.
i would advise the ASZ.
much more reliable,and can handle a remap by what i have read.
regards,
stewy.

Loofer
23-08-2008, 05:33 PM
what's your facination with the ARL?
they have a reputation for falling apart.
i would advise the ASZ.
much more reliable,and can handle a remap by what i have read.
regards,
stewy.
You're right.. I had always preferred the ASZ, as the ARL has a bigger turbo I believe which takes longer to spool up... and my driving habits don't really take me beyond 2000rpm often. Prfere the very low end torque

I'v heard the ARL has stronger/reinforced internals? Plus the price difference between 130 and 150 isn't that much now - still a difference but not as much as it used to be.

STEWY L
23-08-2008, 05:39 PM
the blocks and heads are the same i've read,which is probably why the asz is more reliable.
stewy.