PDA

View Full Version : Question 2.0TFSI: 180bhp vs 211bhp

gnokleby
23-08-2008, 08:51 AM
In Norway these two cars have a GBP10.000 price difference, in Germany only EUR 2600. In Norway standard equipement is the same.

Does anyone know what is the difference between these two cars/engines, apart from the 31bhp difference? I hope it is only a computer reconfiguration, but it seems that the weight of the 211bhp is about 10 punds more.

XM640
24-08-2008, 08:16 AM
I suspect that the only real difference is their state of tune. Audi/VW are quite adept in manufacturing the same motor in varying states of tune for different vehicles and/or price points.

In Oz, the A4 B8 with 2.0TFSI in 180bhp (132kw) spec is available only as FWD with Multi. For an extra $AUD11,000 you can get the 211bhp (155kw) spec exclusively with the quattro drivetrain.

Due to the extra weight of the quattro, and that the 155kw motor has only 30Nm more, I would imagine that both of these vehicles would perform similarly - dependent on road conditions given the extra traction advantage of the quattro.

gnokleby
24-08-2008, 11:27 AM
In Norway you can choose to have the 211bhp without quattro and the weight is still 10 pounds more than the 180bhp (both 6-gear manual). With quattro the weight difference is even more. I was thinking of reconfiguring the car computer (with a tuning company) so that is will get the same configuration as the 211bhp, but for that to work it must have the same components in and attached to the engine.

XM640
30-08-2008, 05:34 AM
[quote=gnokleby;227242]In Norway you can choose to have the 211bhp without quattro and the weight is still 10 pounds more than the 180bhp (both 6-gear manual). ...]

Just had a thought to explain the small weight difference .... perhaps the 211bhp motor comes with the dual exhaust (as opposed to the single exhaust on left as per 1.8TFSI).

I have seen some press photos of US spec A4 2.0TFSI Avant's with dual exhaust, though many US forums strongly suggest that this setup is exclusive to TFSI/TDI V6 A4's.

I think that A4's with the the 2.0TFSI are just now onsale in the UK. Can anyone confirm what exhaust setup the 180bhp/211bhp motors comes with?

Look forward to hearing about your Avant.

Cheers.

richiew
30-08-2008, 10:47 AM
The price and specification guide in the UK says:

"Exhaust pipes – 4-cylinder models have two exhaust
pipes on the left hand side. 6-cylinder models and
the 2.0 TFSI Avant model have one exhaust pipe on
each side"

Hope this helps

gnokleby
30-08-2008, 02:35 PM
I hope that it will be one exhaust pipe on each side. That looks better, I think.
All tests I´ve read have been about the 211bhp version, which has one exhaust pipe on each side.

XM640
31-08-2008, 06:08 AM
The price and specification guide in the UK says:

"Exhaust pipes – 4-cylinder models have two exhaust
pipes on the left hand side. 6-cylinder models and
the 2.0 TFSI Avant model have one exhaust pipe on
each side"

Hope this helps

Thanks richiew. And would explain the press photo's of the 2.0TFSI Avant's showing exhausts on each side.

Hmm wonder why Audi would spec different exhaust configurations for the sedan and Avant with same motor .... would presume that the floorplan/chassis is basically the same.

Certainly the dual exhaust looks better and often allows slighty more power, offset by increase in weight and doubles cost to fit sports mufflers ; )

Plife
31-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks richiew. And would explain the press photo's of the 2.0TFSI Avant's showing exhausts on each side.

Hmm wonder why Audi would spec different exhaust configurations for the sedan and Avant with same motor .... would presume that the floorplan/chassis is basically the same.

Certainly the dual exhaust looks better and often allows slighty more power, offset by increase in weight and doubles cost to fit sports mufflers ; )
Wouldn't trust anything Audi put in the brochure!!! Quite a few things have been incorrect!

Neerazan
31-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Forgive me if I have the wrong end of the stick here then, but are people saying that the '09 2.0TFSI saloon may well have exhausts at each side, rather than two on the left?

Plife
31-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Forgive me if I have the wrong end of the stick here then, but are people saying that the '09 2.0TFSI saloon may well have exhausts at each side, rather than two on the left?
According to the brochure no, but the Avant does.