PDA

View Full Version : belt pulley wheel

littlekev
25-01-2007, 04:56 PM
:aargh4: hi posted a plea for help other day,now its got fairly desperate,the wheel is almost coming off,if anyone can offer any help or advice on how to replace the alternator ribbed belt tensioner pulley i would be very grateful :1zhelp:

Ian W
25-01-2007, 07:53 PM
With out trying to sound rude if your getting that desperate , a good place to start might be to purchase a haynes, not only for that problem but for many other issues you may have in time with the car, its all way worth have one at hand.
Andy

I was under the impression that you couldn't actually get a Haynes for the Audi 80?

littlekev
25-01-2007, 08:08 PM
you are correct they just dont do one.i cant find any imfo on this at all its got me stumped.i do know that the 1.9tdi eng was fitted in a golf thats why i thought some of you chaps may be able to help:confused:

Ian W
25-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Sorry guys but haynes do one for the 80 it is number 1491 and it covers the 80/90/coupe

always good to know. will maybe take a look for it :)

littlekev
25-01-2007, 08:58 PM
your rite they do!but think it only covers the petrol models mines a diesel tdi however i found one that covers the 100/A6 1.9tdi 93 on but anyone know if theres any simularitys to the AAZ TDI engine by the way its 18 quid odd should be able to get from halfords or online at haynes ian if need mate

littlekev
25-01-2007, 09:06 PM
ian- dont mind me askin have you got a petrol or tdi

Ian W
25-01-2007, 09:25 PM
ian- dont mind me askin have you got a petrol or tdi

petrol i'm afraid mate. wish i did have a tdi mind you cos i do a lot of miles :(

littlekev
25-01-2007, 09:36 PM
petrol i'm afraid mate. wish i did have a tdi mind you cos i do a lot of miles :(
well mines comin up to 2 hundred thou not had much trouble with it had new clutch but this is the 1st real problem and ive done over 50thou in 2 half years was only askin tosee if you know how your alternator belt is tensioned is it by the alt, bein moved or by the same tensioner pulley

Ian W
25-01-2007, 09:42 PM
well mines comin up to 2 hundred thou not had much trouble with it had new clutch but this is the 1st real problem and ive done over 50thou in 2 half years was only askin tosee if you know how your alternator belt is tensioned is it by the alt, bein moved or by the same tensioner pulley

ah right.

honestly couldn't tell you mate as i've only had it for a month and a bit.

i'm sure someone else will be able to help....eventually :d

littlekev
25-01-2007, 09:47 PM
ah right.

honestly couldn't tell you mate as i've only had it for a month and a bit.

i'm sure someone else will be able to help....eventually :d
ok chap thanks anyway been nice chattin with ya sure some1 will be able to help hope so anyway good luck

Marc97
26-01-2007, 07:19 PM
I should have an answer to this question on Monday as I'm going to get mine changed (it squeals badly for 10 mins in the morning).
It confused me so I'm going to let a garage do it (and I have been fixing cars since I was 12....now nearly 35!)

littlekev
26-01-2007, 08:17 PM
I should have an answer to this question on Monday as I'm going to get mine changed (it squeals badly for 10 mins in the morning).
It confused me so I'm going to let a garage do it (and I have been fixing cars since I was 12....now nearly 35!)
hi well i went to german and swedish today although the online shop shows a ribbed belt pulley they said it was a dealer part only.so had to order one£35,but the bloke did print off a schematic for me,the pulley is only fixed by 1 bolt,but i dont suppose its gonna be that simple they never are,youll have to tell me how much they bump you for, may not be that bad.ive been workin on cars a fair time too. best a luck

Marc97
26-01-2007, 08:21 PM
1 bolt, ye, you're right there, 13mm head but I bet they didn't tell you how to release the tensioner and re tension afterwards.
I turned the said bolt to tighten my belt up but it didn't have any effect whatsoever.

littlekev
26-01-2007, 08:59 PM
1 bolt, ye, you're right there, 13mm head but I bet they didn't tell you how to release the tensioner and re tension afterwards.
I turned the said bolt to tighten my belt up but it didn't have any effect whatsoever.
well no he did,nt but i did look at a new tensioner unit.in effect there are 3 parts to the system,-the tensioner unit -the tension arm-the belt pulley.the tension unit bolts on to the same casting as the alternator via 2 bolts,the arm passes thru this casting and has to flat sides which locates into the unit,when i lokked there didnt seem any way of adjusting the tension.then the pully fixes on end of arm but im glad you highlighted this point guess i,ll find out soon enough

littlekev
26-01-2007, 09:02 PM
well no he did,nt but i did look at a new tensioner unit.in effect there are 3 parts to the system,-the tensioner unit -the tension arm-the belt pulley.the tension unit bolts on to the same casting as the alternator via 2 bolts,the arm passes thru this casting and has to flat sides which locates into the unit,when i lokked there didnt seem any way of adjusting the tension.then the pully fixes on end of arm but im glad you highlighted this point guess i,ll find out soon enough
marc i wish i had my scanner workin could have shown you the drawin may be of some help to you to see if ya got mobile no, can send photo if want to see

Marc97
26-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Nps, post your findings here please.
:)