PDA

View Full Version : Going for a TDI 143

andyrp
21-08-2008, 10:32 PM
After much consideration between a BMW 3 series and an Audi A4 I have decided, in pinciple, on the A4 TDI 143. Will take a look at one this weekend, get a test drive and then place the order.

What is the delivery time for a standard / no extras A4? Also does the SE come with the MMI?

Thanks,
Andy

A1exp
21-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Roughly 8 weeks from order to delivery, although it does seem to vary between a very lucky 7 and an unlucky 10-12.

Depends what you mean by MMI, if you mean the colour screen in the dash and the colour centre screen in the console then yes, it does.

The standard has a monochrome display.

If you get Sat Nav the controls move from the centre console to down below the gear stick (like the A6).

moptisam2
22-08-2008, 06:39 AM
You'll probably find the dealer has a few 'no extras' cars in stock.

As for the not going for a BMW 3, I test drove one and thought that it was the biggest heap of shi* I had ever driven.

It was more basic inside than a Fiesta.

Mind you the plastic handbrake was good, especially if you're missing a part for an Airfix kit.

A4 - excellent choice. I love mine.

WhiteHartMart
22-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Good luck with your order mate!

I used to own a 3 Series and went back to test drive a 3 Series Touring before deciding on the A4. I have to say that imho the 3 Series does drive well - much like smaller car .............. but that's cause it is. The touring has no more room in the boot than my current Focus ST with the seats up! :zx11:

Oh and I agree with the post above - that interior gets even worse the more you look at it - feels so bland - just not my taste at all!

Hope you find a 'stock' car so your wait is shortened :D

mkc
22-08-2008, 08:33 AM
There appears to be plenty of stock A4 SE's available now on the Dealer Network now if you take a look at the Used Car Locator on the Audi website. Im sure you could get a great deal if you wanted one in the next week given that we change our plates next week.

However, if you want a brand new one, and who wouldnt, you will be looking at 8-12 weeks I think from order to delivery. As explained you do get the Colour Screen on the SE, standard had Monochrome.

Im going from a 1 Series to the A4. I looked at the 3 Series but for me it was more of the same as the 1 series. Plastics a little better but bland, boring and stingy on kit. Plus too many of them around for me at the moment, plus its having its facelift next month. I would say the 3 Series is a better drive if pushed given the rear wheel drive but in real life driving, ie the Commute and trip to the shops the A4 is a much better environment to be in.

We need your next post to read something like "...Ive ordered one..." :beerchug:

WhiteHartMart
22-08-2008, 08:45 AM
A 'stock' car doesn't have to be a used one though ;)

My order is for a car that was already built but not registered - just meant I'll only be waiting 3 weeks from order to delivery ...... and that's ust so I can get a '58' plate :D

Have a chat with a dealer and they'll do a serach for cars that are 'pre built' - might not get exactly the spec you want though!

greenpants
22-08-2008, 09:20 AM
A 'stock' car doesn't have to be a used one though ;)

My order is for a car that was already built but not registered - just meant I'll only be waiting 3 weeks from order to delivery ...... and that's ust so I can get a '58' plate :D

Have a chat with a dealer and they'll do a serach for cars that are 'pre built' - might not get exactly the spec you want though!

Thats what I did. Delivered last month, two week wait from order to delivery of a standard 2.0Tdi SE in Meteor Grey. I even got the updated engine model :-)

Dan

mkc
22-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Very true. Lots of lease companies order "standard" A4s with no extras. So if you went to Audi Im sure they could bring you to the top of the list!

andyrp
26-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Went to both Audi and BMW at the weekend to make sure I was making the right choice. The 3 series looked poor in comparison to the A4 (IMO). Didn't look as nice inside and the much smaller boot (c.f. A4) which is important considering I have an Avensis at the moment and the wife likes to take the proverbial kitchen sink on holiday as well.

Today I got the dealer down to just under £21K (price matched) so have been able to add cruise control and the interior light pack. Had also been thinking about the 1.8TFSI 160 with some toys added but the tax liability is higher and the £37 a month difference is better off in my pocket. Having driven the TDI 143 today as well I can tell I will be happy with it's performance so the extra acceleration from the TFSI doesn't justify the extra tax for me. The TDI really does seem to respond to the turbo and certainly feels like a fun drive. The steering also had a good feel to it with it being quite sporty and not overly powered - I could feel what I was doing.

mkc
26-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Great stuff. Welcome to the waiting list and queue. What colour did you go for and how long do you have to wait.

andyrp
26-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Going for Brilliant black (to keep cost within budget). Delivery will be November but only because that is what we have specified for company reasons. Really can't wait now though. Although my Avensis is good quality the A4 feels so much more solid and well built.

andyrp
29-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Have been quoted £21,173 for the car but have another dealer in the mix now and might be able to add some more options (exterior mirror pack, tyre monitoring and hill hold assist). Hopefully will hear from them tomorrow and then I can finalise everything next week.

bluestar_ale
31-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Went to both Audi and BMW at the weekend to make sure I was making the right choice. The 3 series looked poor in comparison to the A4 (IMO). Didn't look as nice inside and the much smaller boot (c.f. A4) which is important considering I have an Avensis at the moment and the wife likes to take the proverbial kitchen sink on holiday as well.

I have a BMW 320d at the moment have had it from new on a 05 plate and have just ordered the new A4 Avant...

Can agreed that the boot on the current 3 series small, certainly when I compare it to an Passat saloon I have had previously. I suppose you have to consider the current 3 series is now 3 years old, where the A4 is a new model, not sure if there is a new 3 series in development but if there is it will probably a better match with the new A4

belly buster
02-09-2008, 10:28 PM
The steering also had a good feel to it with it being quite sporty and not overly powered - I could feel what I was doing.

If you liked the steering, make sure you know whether the demonstrator had the servotronic option or not, and order the same.

I went for the servotronic option - it is very light at manouvering speed and firms up at higher speed. Not sure the standard steering is quite so good.

BB

andyrp
02-10-2008, 07:35 PM
At last the order has been placed! Does anybody know the current lead times for the A4?

Andy

martin@wolfy
03-10-2008, 09:51 AM
I ordered my 143 sline on the 17th September and have not been given a date yet although at the time the dealer showed me an internal memo from Audi quoting mid November. (8-10 weeks)

Martin.