PDA

View Full Version : How to protect alloys?

Red 2
21-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Further to the thread re protecting paintwork, what do people use to protect alloy wheels and does it make a difference?

kite
21-08-2008, 07:33 PM
I use Poorboys wheel wax on my RS4's, seems to stop the brake dust sticking.

mkc
21-08-2008, 08:01 PM
I use Chemical Guys Wheel Gaurd and Poorboys Wheel Sealant. Both add a sort of film to the wheel and it stops brake dust and usual road grime from sticking. When mine turns up Ill be adding a good dose of the Wheel Gaurd before I drive anywhere. Ensure you get it into the corners and edges of the wheel, alloy to dry and buff off with a Microfibre cloth.

Keep these out of reach of children because they smell of sweets!

If they do get grubby, use Chemical Guys Blue Rim and Wheel Cleaner. I use diluted 1 to 4 parts water and a washing up sponge with a bit of ruff edge to gently brush dirt away. Its strong stuff so I use rubber gloves and rinse with water from a hose. I also have an old tooth brush in my cupboard and use that too with this cleaner

All available from www.cleanyourcar.co.uk (http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk)

Ive also heard of peopple applying wax to their wheels, not something I have tried however

TimmyTim
21-08-2008, 10:16 PM
I use Chemical Guys Wheel Gaurd and Poorboys Wheel Sealant. Both add a sort of film to the wheel and it stops brake dust and usual road grime from sticking. When mine turns up Ill be adding a good dose of the Wheel Gaurd before I drive anywhere. Ensure you get it into the corners and edges of the wheel, alloy to dry and buff off with a Microfibre cloth.

Keep these out of reach of children because they smell of sweets!

If they do get grubby, use Chemical Guys Blue Rim and Wheel Cleaner. I use diluted 1 to 4 parts water and a washing up sponge with a bit of ruff edge to gently brush dirt away. Its strong stuff so I use rubber gloves and rinse with water from a hose. I also have an old tooth brush in my cupboard and use that too with this cleaner

All available from www.cleanyourcar.co.uk (http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk)

Ive also heard of peopple applying wax to their wheels, not something I have tried however

Hi...

I've just bought some Speed line/BBS 2 piece slit rim alloy wheels (19" BBS RS861)

What would you say was the best stuff to clean/protect them with? Am I correct in saying that you can't use Wonder Wheels on slit rim alloys?

I was thinking of buying ZYMOL SKSK1 Wax KIT... What do you think of it and is it worth £400? Has anyone used this kinda kit?

Cheers

digigriffin
22-08-2008, 03:25 PM
I use Autoglym alloy wheel sealer, and custom wheel cleaner.

This doesn't seem to keep them any cleaner but makes them very easy to clean next time round.

TimmyTim
22-08-2008, 08:34 PM
I use Autoglym alloy wheel sealer, and custom wheel cleaner.

This doesn't seem to keep them any cleaner but makes them very easy to clean next time round.

Thanks for the info... I'll go and buy some tomorrow. Where is the cheapest place to get it from?

Cheers

ryan427
23-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Halfords currently doing a 3 for 2 offer on all Autoglym products

Ryan

Red 2
24-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Halfords currently doing a 3 for 2 offer on all Autoglym products

Ryan

Cheers....bank holiday visit beckons!

digigriffin
24-08-2008, 05:55 PM
This is where I get my autoglym stuff when I have several products to get.

http://www.4wheelplay.co.uk/autoglym-range-autoglym-range-discounted-c-375_373.html

If its just one or two products I need then halfords is where I go.