PDA

View Full Version : Question Audi 80 v6 avant quattro

climbingchris
21-08-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm looking at one of these and have a few questions. (tried searching but not come up with much).

Is there anything in particular I need to know before I go have a propper look at it?

It's done 130k miles, what are people generally getting from the V6?

what kind of fuel consumption will I get?

I've noticed it has an oil drip from the back centre of the front undertray should I be worried ? (I'm used to oil leaks on landies, so to me this is only a minor one)

what sort of money should I be paying for an M reg car?

Thanks for any help

Chris

martinj
03-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi,

We have a 2.6 avant auto, not quattro, but some info may be better than none - we get about 26mpg from a tank of fuel, with a mix of motorway and around town, but most of it is motorway driving.

The oil could be leaking from various places, there are pipes on ours from the gearbox to a cooler in the radiator and when the radiator was changed recently there was a weep from one of the joints in these pipes, quick extra tighten and it was fine.

It could also just be from a spill when topping up the oil, easily done and it goes under the cover.

Our car has been fantastic, is an M reg and just coming up to 100k and only cost £500 and has only need basic maintanence plus what I would call normal pits and pieces that any car would need over time, eg. radiator, bottom ball joints, one outer cv - superb cars in my view, and look cool.

Martin

audiden
03-09-2008, 07:58 PM
I too have a 80 2.6 Avant auto & it has been a good car in the time that I've owned it. It has an automatic gearbox fault that was there when I bought it (seller did not declare!), but apart from that, no real problems. I've done 10,000 miles in 7 months & the mileage is now at 106,000.

The MPG is 'reasonable' for the type of car.

My last car was a Coupe 2.6 & that had 206,000 miles when I sold it last year. Its still on the road now.

The oil leak from where you have described should be a concern. The V6 engines often leak from the cylinder head gasket & it is an expensive fix. My last car had this problem & the oil used to drip on to the exhaust which meant fumes came into the cabin if you had the vents open - one of the many reasons I sold the car!

The 80 Avant Quattro is a desirable car though so could be worth taking on.