PDA

View Full Version : Tiptronic Paddle Controls, is this supposed to happen ?

sbuk73
20-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Granted I mostly stick the car in Drive and just drive around ... I've had the car for 2 months now and have always assumed that the paddle gear shifts only work when you put the car into manual mode and push the stick over to the left.

What I am unclear about and I havent been to Audi about it yet ... even to ask the question, if the car is in DRIVE, and you press the - DOWNGEAR paddle on the steering wheel is it supposed to flick into manual ? as mine is doing that and seems to kick down a gear and stay in that mode until I move my gear shift from DRIVE > SPORT or DRIVE > MANUAL and back to DRIVE again....

Is it supposed to do that ?
Anyway car is under warranty still so ironing out all the niggles :)

mach1tl
20-08-2008, 09:53 PM
You'll be wasting your time and theirs. When you are in the D gate it is possible to shift into the tip mode using the paddles. This is normal operation If no further signal is received for approx 20 seconds whilst still in the D gate, the box will then revert back and drive normally again.

sbuk73
20-08-2008, 11:12 PM
I did play with it more this evening and realised it was just user error or ignorance should I say :P ... yeah its great for the momentary kickdowns ... works great.

A8-dobbo
07-09-2008, 09:38 PM
You'll be wasting your time and theirs. When you are in the D gate it is possible to shift into the tip mode using the paddles. This is normal operation If no further signal is received for approx 20 seconds whilst still in the D gate, the box will then revert back and drive normally again.

First post here - just got our 2002 A8 and loving it. We were curious about the same thing as the manual says that the steering wheel switches only work with the gear lever in manual but our switches work whenever we want, which is nice - far better than moving the lever over just to enable the sterring wheel switches.

Dobbo