PDA

View Full Version : Black smoke ...... help

MATTYROMPER
19-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Hi new to this forum , i recently purchased a 1996 A4 1.9tdi 110 avant , under acceleration thick black smoke bellows out of the exhaust . i just wondered if anybody else has had this problem ? this thing has done 180.000 full service history and recent belt change. Please help has i feel like james bond with this smoke screen.

STEWY L
19-08-2008, 11:29 PM
how does it pull?
sounds like leaking turbo boost pipes,or goosed turbo,possibly injectors.
regards,
stewy.

::SPG::
20-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Under all accleration or just heavy?

Aeikostx
23-08-2008, 01:14 PM
If it's under normal accelaration, thick clouds of black smoke can be caused by overfueling among other things.

Under slightly harsh/very harsh accelaration however, a cloud of smoke is completely normal and very cool IMO. Just as long as there isn't so much that you cant see through it. All diesels do this IIRC.

::SPG::
26-08-2008, 08:43 PM
yeah, black smoke is due to a high fuel to air mix resulting in an incomplete burn. This occurs under accleration due to the fuel being increased but the air places catch up until the rpm increase (if that makes sense?).

If you get black smoke at other times then you are still getting over fueling which is not right. I'm not familiar enought with the the TDI engine to suggest why.

conkers
26-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi new to this forum , i recently purchased a 1996 A4 1.9tdi 110 avant , under acceleration thick black smoke bellows out of the exhaust . i just wondered if anybody else has had this problem ? this thing has done 180.000 full service history and recent belt change. Please help has i feel like james bond with this smoke screen.
Have you tried injector cleaner? the fuel treatment seems to work well

MATTYROMPER
27-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Have you tried injector cleaner? the fuel treatment seems to work well

Thanks all who have replied ive gone with millers power sport 4 , just mixed it with 20 litres of fuel , and taken it for a 15 mile blast , redlining in 2 nd n 3rd , ill see how it gets on after 2 k , checked all air hoses alll fine . accelaration fine pulls well , bit sluggish on steap hill climbs . Changed air filter , changing fuel and oil change at weekend .

Regards matty:beerchug: