PDA

View Full Version : Change from OEM tyres?

Huweth
25-01-2007, 03:32 AM
That time has come to look into changing the front tyres on my 2001 Passat TDI Sport Estate.
I've read a few of the threads I found in searches, but still can't decide.
The car is running the OEM tyres. Always has, because the previous owner said they where fine and 'must be good if they were put on by VW'.

So, the question is, do I stick with the Dunlops, or try something different?
I don't want sporty ones that won't grip in the snow (I go up to Dartmoor a lot), and I don't want crappy cheapy ones. Obviously I want the ultimate tyre like everyone, a tyre that has low noise, high efficiency, low cost, long life, good looks, and will not send me sideways on the rare occasions I put my foot down on the windy devon roads when the dog is not in the boot!

Tall order I know, but maybe someone has come close to finding the perfect tyre? If no-one has, I'll just stick to the OEM ones. There's no problem with them, but I've never had a tyre that seems to suffer so much when there are water puddles about. I do worry that I'll lose it, and nearly have once on the motorway of all places during heavy rain. Maybe it's not the best tyre for the car, or maybe it's just because the tread is 1mm above the wear indicator.
Any thoughts are much appreciated...

Mav2006
25-01-2007, 08:24 AM
Interesting comments, I'll need some some too. My father has a 2003 pst spt est with Dunlops (OEM) I have a 2003 pst spt saloon with Bridgestones (OEM) any one know why estate have different tyres?

Sam
25-01-2007, 10:48 AM
2001 Passat. I've had Pirelli P6000s since I bought the car in 2004. I've put on 30k (unmade/country roads, motorways etc) and couldn't be happier.

I'm about to take delivery of some new wheels which are coming with Falken tyres. I'll be able to report the differences shortly.

Huweth
27-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Well I just got back from Protyre in Exeter where I had a pair of Michelin Primacy HP fitted to the front. £168 all in, not bad I think.
I gave the tyres a good thrashing on my way home through the lanes, and they do seem to be a fair bit grippier than the OEM Dunlops, and perhaps quieter at 70MPH on the dual carriageway. It was dry.
These tyres are touted to last 'at least 25% longer' than rivals, and I'll be eager to get as many miles as I can from them.
I'll report back again after I've done some wet driving with them, as that is my main concern given that the Dunlops were a little scary in the wet.
Over and out.

devonutopia
27-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Well I just got back from Protyre in Exeter where I had a pair of Michelin Primacy HP fitted to the front. £168 all in, not bad I think.

Good company - that place does my wheel alignment checking. YOu local to Exeter then? Dawlish chap myself. :)

The best tyre I have found and tested so far is the Toyo Proxes T1-R. I currently run 215/40 R17 t1-r on the front, and t1-s on the back (will be t1-r once they wear out)

Huweth
27-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Yep, I live in Totnes.
I used Protyre a lot when I lived in Exeter. Generally they were good, but on one occasion they tried to rip me off. I took my Mk2 Golf there for wheel alignment and they told me it was out and would cost £300 to sort. Something wrong with the 'whole setup' apparently. I told them to sod off and just give me the report. Went home that day and aligned it myself by moving the bolts around on the shocks etc... Turns out someone had just put it back together a bit wrong. Ever since I've been a little watchful of them, even if they are among the best around.

Hmm, I feel a 'mini-meet' may be in order. I'd love to see what you've done with your Fabia. I've resisted this long, but I seem to be getting some sort of power hunger. You free on weekends?