PDA

View Full Version : Toledo Climate Control

TDI Phil
19-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Hi, I have just purchased a 2004 Toledo 1.9 TDI. The previous owner somehow managed to break the display screen on the climate control unit. I have just purchased a replacement climate control unit from an online scrap dealer, it is simply the control panel with screen and is very similar to a car stereo unit with a simple plug-in connector for the wiring. Does anyone have any idea how to replace this unit? I can't see any obvious way to remove it but guess the radio may need removing first somehow. The replacement unit has a screw hole either side, but this is behind the trim below the radio. I spoke to my local Seat dealer, they want £70 to fit it. Any advice would be much appreciated!

smokey0123
19-08-2008, 07:26 PM
The unit is just like a radio, not sure how it comes out but it may need re coding with vagcom be fore it works with your car.

TDI Phil
22-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Thanks, I never thought that it may need recoding but I wouldn't have thought it would if it already has an identical unit fitted. I will have a go at removing the unit this weekend and if I don't get anywhere I will ask my local garage. Its such a shame they don't do a Haynes manual for the Toledo!

TDI Phil
07-09-2008, 01:30 PM
I managed to replace the damaged unit myself after figuring out how to remove it, it isn't too difficult and the new unit didn't need reprogramming, it just worked. If anyone else needs to undergo this let me know and I will give full details.

andybk
29-11-2008, 10:17 PM
I managed to replace the damaged unit myself after figuring out how to remove it, it isn't too difficult and the new unit didn't need reprogramming, it just worked. If anyone else needs to undergo this let me know and I will give full details.

i would like to know as the bulb has gone inside mine and need to get it out , thanks andy

TDI Phil
30-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Hi Andy,

It's been a few months since I replaced this unit, but I think I remember how I did this!

1. Open the ashtray, and undo the screw(s) inside. Disconnect the lead to the cigarette lighter and remove tray. You will now see screws holding the base of the trim in place, remove these.

2. Next you need to remove the car radio. Mine is a CD unit which I think is pretty standard. To do this you need a special tool to push into the slots at the bottom, I however made my own using a hacksaw blade chopped in half. I then cut the width back on each with a grinder until they fitted into the slots. Push these in and the unit will pull out. I recommend not removing it completely incase it needs a pin number, therefore just pull it out half way and keep it connected.

3. You should now see more screws, remove these.

4. Now the trim should come away by carefully pulling and unclipping. I started at the top above the radio and worked my way down, it is a large piece of trim so be careful. You should be able to lift it around the radio easily and completely remove it.

5. Once you have removed this you can undo the screws now visible at either side of the climate control unit. Now the unit will slide forward like a car radio. Disconnect all the connectors at the back, and the unit is out.

I hope this helps, as I said it is a few months since I did this but I don't think I have forgotten anything!

Cheers,

Phil

andybk
30-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Hi Andy,

It's been a few months since I replaced this unit, but I think I remember how I did this!

1. Open the ashtray, and undo the screw(s) inside. Disconnect the lead to the cigarette lighter and remove tray. You will now see screws holding the base of the trim in place, remove these.

2. Next you need to remove the car radio. Mine is a CD unit which I think is pretty standard. To do this you need a special tool to push into the slots at the bottom, I however made my own using a hacksaw blade chopped in half. I then cut the width back on each with a grinder until they fitted into the slots. Push these in and the unit will pull out. I recommend not removing it completely incase it needs a pin number, therefore just pull it out half way and keep it connected.

3. You should now see more screws, remove these.

4. Now the trim should come away by carefully pulling and unclipping. I started at the top above the radio and worked my way down, it is a large piece of trim so be careful. You should be able to lift it around the radio easily and completely remove it.

5. Once you have removed this you can undo the screws now visible at either side of the climate control unit. Now the unit will slide forward like a car radio. Disconnect all the connectors at the back, and the unit is out.

I hope this helps, as I said it is a few months since I did this but I don't think I have forgotten anything!

Cheers,

Phil

thanks just need to wait till some milder weather and will have a go , usually service tractors and hate car electronics
if something goes its always the hardest to get at ,part , and usually damn expensive for what it is
having said that i love my toledo , far more sporty than the passat it replaced ,
all the best andy