PDA

View Full Version : a4 2.8 oil temp gauge

markcass
25-01-2007, 01:35 AM
Hi everyone,
I am just wondering what the normal oil temp reading should be when the car is at normal runing temp? My car is a 1999 a4 2.8 quattro.

Cheers Mark.

Dave Avant
25-01-2007, 11:27 AM
When fully warm it should be around 100, when just warmed up and pootling about it probably won't go over 80-90 degrees, this is why short journies aren't good for engines as the oil doesn't get quite hot enough to burn the condensation off in the oil, this can give a bit of mayo on the dipstick, go on the motorway and at a decent speed it may go up towards 120 degrees, but cold weather may keep it lower depending on whether the oil cooler is a water cooled or air cooled and where its positioned. On a track, you may get upto 150 degrees, this is why its best to choose good oils.

markcass
25-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Hi there,
Thanks for your reply, i think something must be wrong with my oil temp then as it never goes above 50 or 60 no matter how i drive. Do you think this will cause any problems? It is prob just a faulty temp switch i presume, what do you think?

Cheers Mark.

Dave Avant
25-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Could be a faulty sensor, as really after a decent drive it should be atleast at 90 degrees, the same as the coolant. Do you know what type and where the oil cooler is? If its air cooled and front mounted, it could be overcooling, some systems have a thermostat, like the coolant.

I could double check on my manual at home.