PDA

View Full Version : Another Polo won't start

polo14
25-01-2007, 12:12 AM
Hi everyone. I've a problem with my 199 1.4 Polo that has me baffled.

I've just replaced the head gasket, put everything back together and now it won't start.

It turns over ok, and you can hear it trying to fire, but it won't quite run. It's just enough to get the exhaust manifold hot so I know it has spark and fuel, but not necessarily at the right time.

After playing about a bit more I noticed that it ran just for a second when the fuel pump fuse was disconnected. I've taken the fuel rail off and all seems ok. When I put it back together again it ran for a few seconds and cut out It seems like it only runs - but rough - when the fuel pressure's low. After a few seconds it seems the pressure comes up and then it stalls.

I'm guessing it's something I've done wrong when I put it all back together, but can't see what could have happened to make it behave like it does. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help

David

jjduffgts
30-01-2007, 09:25 PM
sounds to me like your ignition timing is out ,did you mark the distributor before you took it off if not you may not be getting spark at the correct time.to see if this is your problem loosen the bolts on the distributor slightly so that you can twist it around.start in the centre and graduall move the distributor around and see if she starts.try going both ways.oh and check your timing marks and make sure they are right before trying the distributor good luck

polo14
01-02-2007, 10:23 PM
That idea worked, thanks. I had marked the distributor but retarding the timing got it running again. It's still not happy though so I'm starting to wonder if the cam timing's right, though I did check carefully. I'll check again...