PDA

View Full Version : Some advice please for a new member

Leonardbarry
19-08-2008, 11:57 AM
I am considering buying an A4 2.5 tdi automatic, 105,000 miles, year 2000 with a full service history. Do you think it is likely to give lots of trouble and what are the weaknesses? I would appreciate all responses. Thanks, Leonard

paul b
19-08-2008, 12:07 PM
First, it depends what auto box the car has. There is usually Tiptronic and Multitronic (CVT) and the CVT boxes tend to give trouble. However I don't think the CVT boxes were available in 2000 (but I could be wrong !) so you may not have to worry there.

The Audi engines tend to be very strong, I wouldn't worry too much about the engine itself if it has been serviced regularly.

Try and take it around a car park and do a few left to rights and look for clunks from the front suspension, as a typical Audi points all the weight over the front and that can cause worn CV joints and stuff.

On my A6, there was an alternator bearing problem. It may not apply to 2000 A4s but you could check anyway. While stationary, turn to full lock either way and listen out for any sort of screech, clatter or any of the sort. If so, it will need a new alternator bearing with the part costing about £70 from Audi, plus labour.

Paul

Leonardbarry
19-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks for prompt reply. What MPG do you think I can expect for short stop/start journeys? Also, do you think 105,000 miles is too much?

Leonardbarry
19-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks for prompt reply. What MPG do you think I can expect for short stop/start journeys? Also, do you think 105,000 miles is too much?

paul b
19-08-2008, 12:54 PM
105,000 should be fine for an Audi diesel.

MPG... I would expect about 30 ish to be honest. Maybe a little more... but if MPG is your thing then you may be best looking at a 1.9 TDI.

Paul