PDA

View Full Version : Is there a service interval in Months for MK4

d@ve
24-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Hi,

I bought a MK4 Gold GT TDi 130 from a non franchised dealer, the car was an ex lease car that had no service book, only the previous Franchised VW dealer print out.

Can anyone tell me what the manufacturer recommended service interval says, I know is 10K or variable on the long life (mine isn't) but is there a time period stipulated?

I have purchased a warranty with the car but have noticed in the small print that it must have been serviced at the manufacturers recommendations. Whats worrying me is that the last service, although done only 5000 miles ago, was about 18 months back and am worried that this may invalidate the warranty if there is a time period stipulated as well.

:confused:

Eshrules
24-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Hi,

I bought a MK4 Gold GT TDi 130 from a non franchised dealer, the car was an ex lease car that had no service book, only the previous Franchised VW dealer print out.

Can anyone tell me what the manufacturer recommended service interval says, I know is 10K or variable on the long life (mine isn't) but is there a time period stipulated?

I have purchased a warranty with the car but have noticed in the small print that it must have been serviced at the manufacturers recommendations. Whats worrying me is that the last service, although done only 5000 miles ago, was about 18 months back and am worried that this may invalidate the warranty if there is a time period stipulated as well.

:confused:

i had a similar problem when i purchased my gt tdi from a dealer too. the exact same issuue, but with the cambelt change which had exceeded its time period. general rule of thumb is that if you cover less than 10k a year an inspection service should be completed every 12 months. the way i service my car is oil change every 6k, major service every 12k, this is more than sufficient on the fixed interval service to be in accordance with the manufacturers guidline. if the car has gone more than 12 months without a major service, you ought to have taken this up with the dealer before taking delivery of the car. that said, approach them and discuss, if you get no joy, im sad to say you will have to take the responsibility of it.....

its a sucker but its the small print that means the most. if you speak to your warranty and explain the situation, they may be able to advise you more

Teutonic_Tamer
25-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Hi,

Hi. Firstly - update your profile (UserCP) and add a signature with the full details of your car, including build model year (the 10th digit of your VIN), and engine code (three digits, usually begining with A**), found on the data sticker on the boot floor under the carpet; just like eshrules or mine. While you are noseying at the data sticker, look at the "PR" codes and search for "QG1", or any "*G1" codes, and tell us what you find.

There are two servicing regimes. Firstly, there is the traditional "fixed" method, of upto 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes soonest. Secondly, there is the newer "LongLife" variable servicing, of upto 30k miles (for a diesel, upto 20k mi for petrol), and upto 24 months, whichever comes soonest. The LongLife servicing uses an adaptive computer to constantly calculate and readjust the time and distance to the next servicing.

I have purchased a warranty with the car but have noticed in the small print that it must have been serviced at the manufacturers recommendations. Whats worrying me is that the last service, although done only 5000 miles ago, was about 18 months back and am worried that this may invalidate the warranty if there is a time period stipulated as well.:confused:

If your car is on LongLife, as indicated by PR code "QG1", then you are perfectly within the manufacturers recommendations. Looking at the history you stated above though, of only 5,000 miles in 18 months, then that useage is way outside of the scope for LongLife servicing, based on VWs own recommendations.

Regarding the lack of service book, go to a franchised VW dealer, with your V5 and proof of ID and they will order one for you (at a cost).

Rgds

bora(ing) nick
25-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Hi. Firstly - update your profile (UserCP) and add a signature with the full details of your car, including build model year (the 10th digit of your VIN), and engine code (three digits, usually begining with A**), found on the data sticker on the boot floor under the carpet; just like eshrules or mine. While you are noseying at the data sticker, look at the "PR" codes and search for "QG1", or any "*G1" codes, and tell us what you find.

There are two servicing regimes. Firstly, there is the traditional "fixed" method, of upto 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes soonest. Secondly, there is the newer "LongLife" variable servicing, of upto 30k miles (for a diesel, upto 20k mi for petrol), and upto 24 months, whichever comes soonest. The LongLife servicing uses an adaptive computer to constantly calculate and readjust the time and distance to the next servicing.

If your car is on LongLife, as indicated by PR code "QG1", then you are perfectly within the manufacturers recommendations. Looking at the history you stated above though, of only 5,000 miles in 18 months, then that useage is way outside of the scope for LongLife servicing, based on VWs own recommendations.

Regarding the lack of service book, go to a franchised VW dealer, with your V5 and proof of ID and they will order one for you (at a cost).

Rgds

His isn't on the long life sevice....

I'd have a word with VW, and explain the situation. If you service it with them soon, then they may honour the warrenty.

Nick

Teutonic_Tamer
25-01-2007, 01:49 PM
His isn't on the long life sevice....

Erm . . . how can you be sure? LongLife servicing was introduced (with some specific exceptions) accoss the VAG range from model year 2000.

As the OP stated his car is a Mk4 Golf, these were from 1997 to 2003 (with some upto model year 2005). A Golf GT was a later spec, and the 130bhp TDI is a PD, so LongLife is highly likely, although I could be wrong!

bora(ing) nick
25-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Erm . . . how can you be sure? LongLife servicing was introduced (with some specific exceptions) accoss the VAG range from model year 2000.

As the OP stated his car is a Mk4 Golf, these were from 1997 to 2003 (with some upto model year 2005). A Golf GT was a later spec, and the 130bhp TDI is a PD, so LongLife is highly likely, although I could be wrong!

I'm not 100% either, but he said in a post further up the page (post no.1) that his wasn't on long life servicing....

All the best

Nick

Teutonic_Tamer
25-01-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm not 100% either, but he said in a post further up the page (post no.1) that his wasn't on long life servicing....

All the best

Nick

I've just re-read his original post again, and you're right. But I presumed the OP was told some piffle by the supplying non-franchised dealer. There are two slightly different issues; is the OPs car actually enabled for the LongLife servicing (which is where the data sticker PR QG1 comes in)?, and has it actually had any LongLife services (which can only usually be found from the original service book).

The lack of service book, and the lack of non-franchised supply was why I questioned the actual service regime.

My appologies if you thought I was having a dig at you! :beerchug:

Rgds

d@ve
25-01-2007, 02:41 PM
[quote=Teutonic_Tamer;16146]Hi. Firstly - update your profile (UserCP) and add a signature with the full details of your car, including build model year (the 10th digit of your VIN), and engine code (three digits, usually begining with A**), found on the data sticker on the boot floor under the carpet; just like eshrules or mine. While you are noseying at the data sticker, look at the "PR" codes and search for "QG1", or any "*G1" codes, and tell us what you find.

Engine code is ASZ

The number is 3, but i've checked my log book and it was registered in Nov 2002.

PR codes - if you mean all the 3 digit codes on that sticker then yes there is a QG1 code amoungst all the others.

Regarding the lack of service book, go to a franchised VW dealer, with your V5 and proof of ID and they will order one for you (at a cost).Ok thanks I'll contact them.

d@ve
25-01-2007, 02:44 PM
To clarify the servicing, it was done at 10K miles each time by a Franchised VW dealer whilst it was leased.

It was then sold on to the non Franchised dealer I bought it from.

Eshrules
25-01-2007, 03:12 PM
To clarify the servicing, it was done at 10K miles each time by a Franchised VW dealer whilst it was leased.

It was then sold on to the non Franchised dealer I bought it from.

if it was done every 10k, that sounds like fixed interval to me, so yuo should maintain the same standard. i do believe longlife doesnt really apply unless you are doing mainly m.way or long haul journeys anyway?

cue teutonic.... you old fart LOL

Teutonic_Tamer
25-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Engine code is ASZ

Well . . . add that to your signature too ;)

The number is 3, but i've checked my log book and it was registered in Nov 2002.

It may well have been built and registered in 2002, but that "3" definately means your car is a 2003 model year!

PR codes - if you mean all the 3 digit codes on that sticker then yes there is a QG1 code amoungst all the others.

Then yours was definately enabled for LongLife servicing when it was built, and filled with LongLife oil at the factory.

That could still be LongLife servicing, but the way it was being used, or maybe some numpty topped up with non-LongLife oil, actually reduced the interval downwards. What was the time interval between the servicings btw?

Rgds

Teutonic_Tamer
25-01-2007, 07:24 PM
if it was done every 10k, that sounds like fixed interval to me, so yuo should maintain the same standard. i do believe longlife doesnt really apply unless you are doing mainly m.way or long haul journeys anyway?

Yeah, the original owner could simply have booked the car in for servicing every 10k miles, and not looked at the Service Interval Display.

I'd also be inclined to move onto the fixed interval maintenance, especially if you plan on keeping the car for a while!

cue teutonic.... you old fart LOL

Oi - I'll give you a thick ear if you don't mind your tongue! ;) ;) ;)

bora(ing) nick
25-01-2007, 08:02 PM
My appologies if you thought I was having a dig at you! :beerchug:

Rgds

The thought never crossed my mind.....:beerchug:

Nick

Eshrules
25-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Yeah, the original owner could simply have booked the car in for servicing every 10k miles, and not looked at the Service Interval Display.

I'd also be inclined to move onto the fixed interval maintenance, especially if you plan on keeping the car for a while!

Oi - I'll give you a thick ear if you don't mind your tongue! ;) ;) ;)

service interval display? i thought that only came into play if you went past the service interval mileage? no? :confused:

Teutonic_Tamer
26-01-2007, 03:29 PM
The thought never crossed my mind.....:beerchug:

Nick

Phew
fx/on <wipes accumlated sweat from brow> fx/off

:Blush: :beerchug:

Teutonic_Tamer
26-01-2007, 03:43 PM
service interval display? i thought that only came into play if you went past the service interval mileage? no? :confused:

No - the Service Interval Display starts to do its calculations from the day following the last service and SID reset. The information is usually hidden from the driver, but will automatically display on 1st ign on, when you are about 1,800 to 1,500 miles or 30 or so days 'till is is due (Audi and VW are slightly different in the detail, but the priciple is the same).

You can manually call up the SID at any time though - on Audis there is a "spanner" button on the bottom of the speedo, which can be pressed any time the ignition is on, whether engine on or off, stationary or moving. On the later VWs, turn the ignition on, but keep engine off, then press and HOLD for at least 5 seconds the "00" trip mileage button - momentarily, the trip willl zero, but if you hold in the button, the trip will go back to what was stored and the SID will be displayed.

Handy to know, if you have a world tour of Europe/fortnights driving hol planned, you can see exactly how many miles 'till the next service and book it in beforehand if necessary, rather than being caught out at short notice!

Rgds

Eshrules
26-01-2007, 03:45 PM
No - the Service Interval Display starts to do its calculations from the day following the last service and SID reset. The information is usually hidden from the driver, but will automatically display on 1st ign on, when you are about 1,800 to 1,500 miles or 30 or so days 'till is is due (Audi and VW are slightly different in the detail, but the priciple is the same).

You can manually call up the SID at any time though - on Audis there is a "spanner" button on the bottom of the speedo, which can be pressed any time the ignition is on, whether engine on or off, stationary or moving. On the later VWs, turn the ignition on, but keep engine off, then press and HOLD for at least 5 seconds the "00" trip mileage button - momentarily, the trip willl zero, but if you hold in the button, the trip will go back to what was stored and the SID will be displayed.

Handy to know, if you have a world tour of Europe/fortnights driving hol planned, you can see exactly how many miles 'till the next service and book it in beforehand if necessary, rather than being caught out at short notice!

Rgds

:beerchug: and all became clear, thank you very much :D i will have a look tonight and see when mines due then.... they're fairly easy to clear too arent they? i wont be sending my car anywhere other than my brothers garage you see....

Teutonic_Tamer
26-01-2007, 04:45 PM
:beerchug: and all became clear, thank you very much :D i will have a look tonight and see when mines due then.... they're fairly easy to clear too arent they? i wont be sending my car anywhere other than my brothers garage you see....

Yebut, do check your owners manual, 'cause yours is a Mk4 and might be different.

:beerchug: