PDA

View Full Version : Any known issues with replica rims such as the famous Audi ones?

mikolo
17-08-2008, 08:46 PM
I am looking to get myself a set of 18" New RS4 Style rims but was wondering why they are so much cheaper than the real thing; is it the quality? Is it the greedy franchisers and dealers? Saw an episode of “The Garage” and some bloke damage his on a patch of bumpy road surfaces.

Has anyone had problems with these replicas?

mluton
17-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Quality is the main reason for their cheapness. Usually made from a very soft alloy material.

mikolo
17-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanx I thought as much.
But is it dangerious?

mluton
17-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanx I thought as much.
But is it dangerious?

Not at all, I know of lots of people with replicas.

Just beware of pot holes. :p

mikolo
17-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Do they complain?
What do you mean potholes!?
This is Briton remember!
I have at least 1 deep hole just besides my dropped kerb and not to mention the 7/8 others on my road on the way out.
Boy, this is looking rather tricky.

mluton
17-08-2008, 09:40 PM
TBH I wouldnt worry, Just buy the replicas your after and drive as you would.

I have known one person who destroyed one, hitting a pothole, but could have happened to an OEM alloy all the same.

mikolo
17-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanx

coolio
21-08-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm pretty sure I have these on my car, 17 inch ones. After 25000 miles one is badly kerbed (the scrapes are a lovely black) and one has a 1 inch chip. Shame nowhere sells them individually so I can switch the bad one out.

A couple of Audi/VW dealerships have BBS Audi rims on ebay for about £1200 off, now about £280+P&P

paulthefox
21-08-2008, 05:03 PM
seen the advert u mentioned on ebay think they must be a reason why they are selling bbs so cheap

even if they are old dealer stock wonder what gaurantee would you get with them:D

paul

coolio
21-08-2008, 11:11 PM
I think most of the stafford audi stuff comes with 2 years Audi warranty.

I have just bought a car with these wheels on. Are they the same as the ones that a few places sell for £399 with budget tyres? or are these likely to be better ones if supplied with the car from initial registration (my spare is the same which makes me confident these were the original spec and not after market ones)

Borab0y
22-08-2008, 06:27 PM
I've run RS4's then RS6 reps for 4 years now without any problem.

The only thing I was told was they required more weights to balence them than OEM wheels.

All cars I've owned have had aftermarket wheels, I dont see that someone making a replica is gonna make them any worse than any other aftermarket wheel.

Dealers sell the wheels at a huge markup but the OEM's do get the cream of them.

I had to do some work for a wheel/tyre supplier to an OEM and was told they paid around £15 for both the wheel and tyre and that was not on a cheap car. They also get the A and B grade parts where as joe public can only buy grade C and lower.

bugwhizz
24-09-2008, 09:08 AM
It's always worth trying to save the extra and get originals imho, but replica's have their place, all wheels sold on these shores have to meet a certain standard.

I'd be more weary of the cheap rubber that you get in the price of a replica deal!!.

mak

sootyscottie
03-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Am I right in thinking that replicas are also a lot heavier than genuines?

or is that an old fishwives tale :)

I am now going to have to decide what i am going to do. Replica or genuine.

Think i am going to struggle to get the genuine ones though, due to the fact that i am struggling to find a set i like and can afford. :P

Borab0y
04-10-2008, 02:33 PM
This week I watched as the tyre shop ballanced my replica's and they did have to put more weight to balance them than OEM wheels but considering I have had them on my car for 4 years there was no sign of buckling which I thought was quite good.

meathead
05-11-2008, 08:41 PM
How do you spot replicas vs genuine ones? I have 18" RS4's, but no idea if they are OEM!

REZ
16-11-2008, 06:24 PM
im fairly sure the tyres supplied on the 18" RS6 wheels advertised on evil-bay for £399 are narrower than they could be.. theyre 225's and i was told they should be 235? that could be one reason theyre so cheap.. im after some myself as it goes.. a wheel shop up here newcastle which is run through tyrespot said they'd do a set of 18's for £500 with 235 tyres.. i may go for that as it's only £60 more than the ebay deals once postage is added on..

tlionhart
18-11-2008, 01:25 PM
i had the rs4 style on my A3. Swapped them with my dad. Only because i thought the handling was affected. Didn't feel as if it was holding the road well. Reason turned out that the offset is slightly higher then the OEM ones...but i brought the reps because i dont really want to pay £1500 on wheels when you can kerb them outside the dealer after collection and fitting.

I got mine for £400 with rubbish tyres, but put better tyres on and that helped. The good thing was, i managed to put the genuine centre cap into the alloys so mates thought they were genuine ;)

Thing with the genuine is there is a stamp in the inner side and the weights are a different colour...slightly creamy white. If your looking to getting a new set of wheels get the genuine in my opinion. You should be able to pick those ones up for under £500...may be slight scruff, bet not enough to worry about.

As for the other users post about 'pot holes'...yes you can feel every bump! I thought it was the tyres, but think the alloy plays some part in it. If your current alloys are in good condition, your prob just best off keeping your car the way it is.

My dad hasn't complained about them...so everything i've written is in my opinion. If you can use your tyres you got on the car now...the ones you get with the alloys are rubbish...the profile is too low!

tango786
28-11-2008, 06:32 PM
ive got a set of genuine rs4 alloys mint with good continental sport tyres around 6mm tread.im looking 640.cheers

MalcQV
29-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Had RS6 replicas on my car for a year and with the tyres (cheap) they came with. I don't take the car racing though :p. They still look fabulous.

vr6mark
30-11-2008, 01:28 AM
a softer alloy will deform easier but wont crack as easily?
as has been said,mind the potholes that pass for roads in the uk lol