PDA

View Full Version : Polo intermittently not starting

Gee Bee
24-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Hello all, I'm a new joiner to the forum.

My question relates to our R-reg Polo.

For some time it had been running "rough" as though not firing on all cylinders until on Monday it wouldn't start at all. Starter motor clunks but engine wouldn't turn-over. Tried couple of times and eventually car started.
Water reservoir now has to be regularly topped up and it looks like white smoke is coming from exhaust!

The failure to start thing has occurred a couple of times and following the failure on Monday I got it booked into our VW dealership garage.

Subsequently I've received a call to say they suspect the head gasket has gone and this allied to cam belt, brakes and tyres all needing attention they are advising the thing is beyond economical repair!!
Is this likely, how much are repairs likely to be, I'm thinking about £1000?
I'm waiting on them working a price out and getting back to me.

From what I understand given the symptoms I do think it could be the head gasket, anyone agree with this diagnosis?

GB

rick
24-01-2007, 09:44 PM
yes sounds like the head gasket has gone, with tyres, brakes, cambelt and head gasket you would prob be lookin at around the £1000 mark at dealer prices poss a bit more depends where your based, i wouldnt say beyond economical repair just depends on weather you can afford it or weather u would rather out 1k in to a new car