PDA

View Full Version : Good Points/Areas for Improvement

Red 2
17-08-2008, 01:21 AM
Now had my manual 1.8T SE for almost 6 months so time perhaps for some personal thoughts.

Good points-
Build quality- very good
Electronic handrake/hill hold - works well and makes stop start driving relatively easy
Gear change - positive and easy to use.
Rear leg room - big improvement
Head room - just fine and that is with a sunroof added.
Seats (SE leather) - very comfortable
SE suspension - less bang and crash now.....smooth ride on the motorways
Angled bottle holders in door bins...nice touch.
MMI - easy to use (see minor negative note re radio tect)
SD card reader - fantastic and the colour display showing track names etc is much appreciated.
Refinement - engine (1.8T) very quiet. Most noise is mirror wind noise.
Boot - huge and the drop down spring loaded hooks for holding shopping bags in place work really well and are a really well thought out 'susprise and delight' feature.
Standard ICE- actually far better than I expected
Seats (SE leather) - very comfortable
Folding mirrors - mirrors are huge and really do fold in to within car width...highly recommended.
Parking system plus- very good and almost worth every penny!

Areas that could be better
Seat height - personally would have preferred it to go a bit lower
Sunroof control - needs a bit of practice to use instinctively
MMI- why do you have to go through a couple of options to get radio text and repeat that every time you start the car?
Standard I-pod interface. VW do it, come on Audi....I'm having to get my one retrofitted
Rear climate control - not as flexible as the advertising would have you believe.
Side mirrors (huge!:biglaugh:)
Storage pack...oh dear, underseat storage is a joke and the stretchy net in the boot is good but not in itself worth the £.
Carpets...hmmm....not as plush as old? Cost cutting a bit too far methinks.
Offset pedals...doesn't bother me but has been commented on by others.
Why that slightly cheap looking silver plastic round the display/instruments?
Interior lighting pack - very good but still think it is ludicrous to charge extra for it!
Sunspecs holder..can only hold my specs in one position and difficult to access easily.
Am still trying to find the best balance for the climate control vents as, compared to VWs/Volvos/Saabs, seems the A4 holds heat/solar gain more and needs careful positioning of the vents to maintain comfortable conditions for all.

Overall verdict - 8/10,very happy with my A4 and it is popular with the family! Sort out a few little issues Audi and a 9/10 would be there.

BMWBig6
17-08-2008, 03:03 AM
Care to elaborate further on this one?

"Rear climate control - not as flexible as the advertising would have you believe."

Are you saying that the rear system never gets as cold as the front vents, or as warm as the front?

Red 2
17-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Care to elaborate further on this one?

"Rear climate control - not as flexible as the advertising would have you believe."

Are you saying that the rear system never gets as cold as the front vents, or as warm as the front?

When I ordered my car pre launch (SE which has the 3 zone as standard) I probably naively thought the temp control would be similar to the front areas i.e. related to a specific temperature.

Instead, the system has a small cold/hot thumb wheel with a limited range of travel that in the experience of passengers who have travelled in the back seems to get fully set to 'cold' or ''hot' depending on the overall temp in the car. Even my 5 yr old daughter has had it set at COLD all summer...yes, in OUR Summer!:biglaugh:

Just my personal opinion but I don't think it is much more effective than the 2 zone system in a Passat. In fact, IMPO, the Passats's climate control system is actually as if not more effective than the Audi's in terms of speed of operation and overall comfort. Love my A4 but not 100% convinced on this aspect.

BMWBig6
17-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Hmm, so it's like Goldilocks and the 3 bears. 1 setting is always too cold, and another is always too hot, without the "just right" setting in between. That's somewhat disappointing.

Is this how the 3-zone works in the C6 A6 (either sedan or Avant) too? I notice the A6 has vents on the B-pillars, so maybe it's a different system.