PDA

View Full Version : New GearBox/ Clutch anyone?

AudiSport
24-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Hi everyone!

My girlfriends 98(R) 1.6 A3 had to have a new gearbox fitted just before Christmas, and now the shifting action is very notchy. Puting the car into 2nd (as with all these g'boxes) takes a some effort, and although it feels very nice and tight - I have to say it doesn't feel very nice to use.

I guess as with all new mechanical things it will take some running in, however I am interested to here what everyone thinks on this?

Also we had a new clutch fitted at the same time and the gripping point is now after about 10mm... The complete oposite from my A4 which is right at the top - however with a bitting point so slow it is just as frustrating - if not more. Does anyone know if there is anything that can be done about this, or again will it get better with time!

Cheers everyone!

J.:confused:

Eshrules
24-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Hi everyone!

My girlfriends 98(R) 1.6 A3 had to have a new gearbox fitted just before Christmas, and now the shifting action is very notchy. Puting the car into 2nd (as with all these g'boxes) takes a some effort, and although it feels very nice and tight - I have to say it doesn't feel very nice to use.

I guess as with all new mechanical things it will take some running in, however I am interested to here what everyone thinks on this?

Also we had a new clutch fitted at the same time and the gripping point is now after about 10mm... The complete oposite from my A4 which is right at the top - however with a bitting point so slow it is just as frustrating - if not more. Does anyone know if there is anything that can be done about this, or again will it get better with time!

Cheers everyone!

J.:confused:

if you have had a brand new gearbox fitted by a reputable company and its warranted, try not to worry too much, mention it to the garage and say you will give it a few weeks to see if there is any improvment. if it doesnt...take it back.

as for the clutch and biting point, when you say it is after 10mm, do you mean you are having to release the clutch further before bite occurs?

AudiSport
24-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the info.

Basically you only have to lift the clutch a little and it bites straight away!