PDA

View Full Version : Advice on running an A8 3.0TDi

lowprofile
16-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Hi,
thinking seriously of buying a circa 2004 A8 3.0TDi SE, approx 40K miles, approx £18 - 19K. There seem to be a few around, even maindelaers are sub £20K. I have heard that running costs are very high though and spares costs astronomical. Is this true?. What are the big services/costs on an A8 and at what mileages?. Some people on the forum have indicated there are loads going through auction. Is this worth a punt and are the savings significant?.
Appreciate any advice anyone can offer on running this car. Thank you.

TimmyTim
16-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Hi,
thinking seriously of buying a circa 2004 A8 3.0TDi SE, approx 40K miles, approx £18 - 19K. There seem to be a few around, even maindelaers are sub £20K. I have heard that running costs are very high though and spares costs astronomical. Is this true?. What are the big services/costs on an A8 and at what mileages?. Some people on the forum have indicated there are loads going through auction. Is this worth a punt and are the savings significant?.

Get down the Auctions and take a look around! You'll be suprised at whay you can get for your money! :approve:

The money you spend will get you a far newer car! and the new shape to boot :D

STEWY L
16-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi,

Get down the Auctions and take a look around! You'll be suprised at whay you can get for your money! :approve:

The money you spend will get you a far newer car! and the new shape to boot :D
a bit like a rolls,
if you have to ask about cost of running, don't go there.
that's your kids inheritance that you are spending!!!
regards,
stewy.:D

regards,
stewy.

peterg1965
16-08-2008, 09:00 PM
a bit like a rolls,
if you have to ask about cost of running, don't go there.
that's your kids inheritance that you are spending!!!
regards,
stewy.:D

regards,
stewy.

I am no expert, but presumably if you bought 'sensibly' with a manufacturers warranty remaining and extended it either with Audi or someone like warranty direct after the car was three years old, then running costs can be managable on a reasonably budget?

lowprofile
17-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Stewyl is right, shouldn't be asking about running costs if looking at an A8. That said I would still be interested if anyone has any recent experience of running one of these cars for a couple of years or so, as this would help me make my mind up about this car. Thanks.

steve.link
17-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Mine has gone through 4 tyres in under 10k miles!

Averages 34mpg - mostly motorway miles

peterg1965
17-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Mine has gone through 4 tyres in under 10k miles!

Averages 34mpg - mostly motorway miles

Wow, 4 tyres in 10K of motorway driving! Is that via tyre wear or punctures?

Gerbil
17-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Stewyl is right, shouldn't be asking about running costs if looking at an A8. That said I would still be interested if anyone has any recent experience of running one of these cars for a couple of years or so, as this would help me make my mind up about this car. Thanks.

My 3.0 petrol has just had some gearbox problems and a failed Lambda sensor (circa 60k miles). Thankfully covered under 75k maintenance contract,but the dealer gave me the bill for my records:

well over two grand!

So a maintenance contract might be a good idea!!

steve.link
18-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Wow, 4 tyres in 10K of motorway driving! Is that via tyre wear or punctures?

Tyre wear - outside edges of all 4 tyres - Audi claim its normal for this car but I am not convinced.

Otherwise the car has been perfect

Gerbil
19-08-2008, 04:30 PM
My 3.0 petrol has just had some gearbox problems and a failed Lambda sensor (circa 60k miles). Thankfully covered under 75k maintenance contract,but the dealer gave me the bill for my records:

well over two grand!

So a maintenance contract might be a good idea!!

When I wrote the comment above I was waiting for the car to come back frrom the dealer. 100 miles after the repair the gearbox developed a whinning noise.

Car came back today. Brand new gearbox fitted under warranty - £3.5K!! But all credit to Audi they have extended the original used car warranty by an additional 12 months.

I believe it may be well worth buying the maintenance contract to cover any odd costs - even the lightbulbs are covered, and they are not straightforward to change!

Over the first five thousand miles the car has averaged 28.5 mpg. That is based on dividing the miles driven by the fuel - I found the on board computer to be a little "optimistic"!!

I would be interested in anyones comments on the service intervals for the petrol A8. My service book shows all services to be "Long Life" but never the less the car has been consistently serviced at 9,000 mile intervals - is that normal?

peterg1965
19-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Some decent advice there, I would never own one without a cast iron warranty. They are some eye watering figures!

I have seen this Personal Contract Hire offer on a brand new factory order A8 3.0TDI Quattro SE. A 10,000 miles pa contract works out as a £1621 initial rental and £540.49 per month for 23 months - Road Tax included. That is a total of £14052 over the 2 years. Strikes me as outstanding value, there must be some substantial finiance incentive from Audi in that deal.

http://www.lingscars.com/car_detail.php?make_model=278&id=3857&status=1

I am seriously interested ....

I would just add the Audi Music Interface, specify Phantom Black exterior colour, Cardomom biege valcona leather and 18" 10 spoke rims!