PDA

View Full Version : How to setup TV on Q7 MMI?

Averroes
15-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Hi guys I have been told by my local Audi dealer that you can actually setup TV yourself if you have the MMI, does anyone know how this would be done?

Thanks

Adil

Jam Man
05-09-2008, 12:47 AM
I have an aftermarket unit on my Q7 supplied by a company called Nav-TV

This taps into the navigation channel to supply an audio & video input.

It allows more than one input so there is also the possibility to run a dvd player or other source on to the front screen.

I have coupled mine with a 12v digital freeview box and signal booster on one channel and a dvd player on the other...

Averroes
05-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Jam, thanks for your reply.

Would this aftermarking unit your talking about have to physically replace the current system or is it a plug and play device which runs in accordance with what i have at the moment?

I have the MMi but I didnt think I would have the need for a DVD player and TV in my car. I got every single extra apart from these two thinking they would be pointless. Now im thinking otherwise and was wondering how I can activate them. I spoke to one of the guys at my local Audi and he told me "on the side" of course that if I have MMi, the TV and DVD features are in built and simply need activating. I wonder how this can be done.

I have checked on the net but there are not many dedicated Q7 owners club forums

Issac Hunt
05-09-2008, 02:30 PM
TV is not built in and simply needs activating!! Do you think Audi would give you something for free that you hadnt paid for? Not a chance!

If you want Tv then you have 2 options, OEM or aftermarket.

I'd go OEM with this kit for the TV option (http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p439_TV-Tuner-paket-Audi-Q7.html) You'll need other bits like antennas etc etc as well - It wont be cheap sadly!

If fitting it (which is not easy) is beyond you then contact these guys http://www.tclsatnav.com

Averroes
05-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the reply Isaac. I didnt think it would be as easy either but was going by what the guy at Audi was telling me. The only reason I saw some truth in this was due to a past experience with my BMW 535D M Sport.

I bought that with the overhead display. I remember a friend of mine with more or less exact same spec who didnt opt for the overhead display. Turns out the ovehead display system is build in, he just needed to get the projector system installed.

But i really am kicking myself now, I should have got the DVD system as an extra. I got everything including the tech pack, comms pack, uprated sound system but didnt opt for the tv/dvd system. Argh

Jam Man
11-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Jam, thanks for your reply.

Would this aftermarking unit your talking about have to physically replace the current system or is it a plug and play device which runs in accordance with what i have at the moment?

I have the MMi but I didnt think I would have the need for a DVD player and TV in my car. I got every single extra apart from these two thinking they would be pointless. Now im thinking otherwise and was wondering how I can activate them. I spoke to one of the guys at my local Audi and he told me "on the side" of course that if I have MMi, the TV and DVD features are in built and simply need activating. I wonder how this can be done.

I have checked on the net but there are not many dedicated Q7 owners club forums

You can't activate TV through the software (vag com) because the tv tuner won't be installed. Not sure either if the Audi tv tuner is analogue or digital.

The digital freeview box I have is very good, even picture on the move (unless in a built up area).

The interface is not plug and play and should be professionally installed but does not replace anything in the car.

The product is from a company called Nav TV:

http://www.nav.tv/show_products.asp?product_id=254