PDA

View Full Version : Mine's on a go slow

gamichea
15-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Going up the hill to the next village this morning I thought have I got the wrong gear 'cos its not pulling like it should. I hadn't and the car wasn't. No accelerator response beyond a certain pedal position and lethargic acceleration. After about five miles parked up in town and went to do what I had to do. Came back an hour later, fired it up and drove off; back to normal :confused: . Stopped off at the village shop for a few minutes, fired it up to drive home; down the pan again :confused: :confused: .

Called my dealer's service manager who said "bring it and we'll have a look". So out I go, fire it up and this time "boing" it chimes and up on the MFD comes "Emissions. Garage." and the EMS warning light has stayed on. So I call again to check its OK to drive and it is so off I set, having been told the usual reason is a failed sensor in the exhaust system.

It turns out to be a failure in the wiring loom so some bits have been ordered and I should have it back Monday or Tuesday. Meantime I've got a Golf Plus TDI on free loan.

When I collect it I'll get some more info.and post on here. Didn't want to spend any more time today as I was needing my ;) lunch and its an hours drive home.

gf1
15-08-2008, 09:03 PM
National Go-Slow day then! Mine was the EMS first then the Diesel Particulate Filter light.... this on a 75 mile run home from work. I need to add in here that I had the exact same DPF problem last Friday going to work - and 10 minutes later the boing of "Engine Fault - Garage" - so headed straight for the VW garage 100 yrds (or is that 110 meters) from my work.

They regenerated the filter (allegedly) for me on Monday (had a god-awful VX Vectra for the weekend btw) - and alls well until the effing DPF thing boings on tonight. Get home - set off to safely do the 60km/h at 2000 revs for 15 minutes (how many roads in the UK can you do that on -safely ?....) but before I'm out the driveway - BOING -" Engine Fault - Garage" is back on - and I'm in limp mode!!!!

Golf Plus Gti - would be nice - knowing my luck I'll get a Lupo or a Corsa!

Anyone else fallen foul of DPF ??:mad:

07 SEL 2.0Tdi 170

gamichea
15-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Sorry to hear of your woes. I count myself lucky my 06 140 TDI has no DPF as standard.

james_tiger_woo
15-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Sounds like an Air Mass Meter failure to me - I've had a problem very much like that in a Seat Leon a few years back....

gamichea
16-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Sounds like an Air Mass Meter failure to me - I've had a problem very much like that in a Seat Leon a few years back....

I guess the similarity arises from the fact many probs.will cause the EMS to default to limp home mode. It seems a bit odd to me to post a message relating to the exhaust side for a prob.on the inlet side unless its not smart enough to detect a malfunctioning/failed MAF.

gamichea
17-08-2008, 10:13 AM
To illustrate the range of reasons for limp home mode I should have said, the only other time I've ever experienced it was with an early Audi 80 1.9 TDI. Then it was caused by a disconnected feed from the brake light circuit. It occurred whenever the EMS checked the feed, expecting it to be live and inevitably found it dead. Switching on/off cleared it but wasn't always convenient ;) .

gamichea
18-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Top of the class JTW, more or less spot on. The MAF sensor itself had not failed; the barometric pressure sensor was sending it porky pies it could not cope with like pressure is a way too high (impossible?) 1127mb when in reality it was 1018mb.

Service has returned to normal!