PDA

View Full Version : ESP Switch and light on Dash?

Phortys
15-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Hi All This is my first Post.
Does any of you got a picture of the Esp light on the dash? Is it the one with the car that looks to be Skidding and in amber?
Also does the switch on the centre colum above the gearstick the one that says the ESP switch it off and on? as it doesn't work.

All the questions are as I have no handbook just now as on back order:(

What causes this to stay on as just got the car today used 55 Plate Golf Plus Sport TDI 105

Thanks for any :1zhelp:

Frelon
17-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Answers in both cases, "Yes".

If you press the ESP switch it turns ESP off and your "car that looks to be Skidding and in amber" light comes on.

Well it does with mine!!

If it is constantly lit - you have a problem in that your ESP is not working.

Just don't drive near any Elk or Moose!! Those in the know will remember the Mercedes A Class episode! See here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um-XlKerWvA).

Phortys
17-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the reply I am taking in to get looked at Tomorrow will keep you upto date about whats wrong ;).

zf44
05-09-2008, 10:46 AM
When both light up it means there is a fault, my 05/55 1.9TDi SPORT had the ABS unit replaced a couple of weeks ago, luckily still under warranty or else it would have been expensive to replace.

Phortys
06-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Cheers for the replys got it Fixed, it was the ABS control unit and was done under warranty so result :)

feckit
23-10-2008, 06:34 PM
mine is a 05 tdi esp light came on and it was diagnosed as a fault with the abs the car is 2 months out of warranty 31000 mile on the clock and my local vw dealer flatly refused to help through the good will scheme :zx11: the part to buy from them is 1400 quid so it's not cheap

messenger
31-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Hi I have a problem with my ESP switch etc and have written to the SMMT for advice. And still waiting for an answer. What I was thinking about was perhaps writing to the BBC Programme Watch Dog, but I need to know how many this problem affected, If we all got together maybe we would get a result?

feckit
31-10-2008, 07:42 PM
count me in i'm still waiting to hear back fron vw uk

Phortys
01-11-2008, 01:55 AM
Thats cool with me as I got mine fixed umder warrenty but wouldn't want to get this fixed if it wasn't.

mine was the ABS control unit this could be a common problem with vw golf plus / golf but they won't admit it.

messenger
04-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Hi, all esp light people. Is it true that the ESP Mk 60 pump, is made by Continental Automotive? If it is the same pump, they are advertising it on there web as being a great bit of engineering!
I am building an arguement, I would not like to get it wrong.

feckit
05-11-2008, 06:52 PM
mine is the g1 unit ending in 517m

messenger
22-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Still not heard from the SMMT about problem of faulty ABS units. And the question I pose about a product being fit for purpose. They are made by Continental, they are also aware of the problem cos I called it a pump, and they told me it was usually the control unit which failed on the Mk60. They also informed me they do not sell to the public.

J400uk
02-03-2009, 12:39 AM
I have written to Watchdog about the ESP issue and would urge others too as there should be a safety recall.

VW are fully aware of it, but deny its a common issue (even though it is). Without the ESP it has been statistically proven you are more prone to having an accident.

gilly7
13-05-2009, 07:10 PM
does anyone know what the code 01435 G201 means? My esp light is on and this is the fault code the garage came back with.

A.V.A.G.O
30-05-2009, 09:30 PM
I Have a 56 plate plus, that had the same problem, took it back to *******, the techie, said it was a common problem, and they had done quite a few with the same fault. he put it down to the new ABS unit fitted from about 05 onwards. Something to do faulty part inside, on the older units it was servicible, but not now, I know it don't help those with the problem, but if the ******* knows of the issue, why don't vw do a recall and get it sorted::beerchug:

J400uk
30-05-2009, 09:44 PM
I know it don't help those with the problem, but if the ******* knows of the issue, why don't vw do a recall and get it sorted::beerchug:

VW are well aware of the issue, as are most the dealers but some of them (like mine) try to deny its a common issue.

I think VW should do a recall, and so do a lot of others on both this forum and elsewhere on the web.

If you have a spare few minutes may I suggest you drop BBC Watchdog an email regarding the issue. I and a few others have, and the more of us that complain the more likely it is they will investigate and put some pressure on VW to sort the issue.

Also, just out of interest, how long did it take your garage to diagnose and fix the issue?

A.V.A.G.O
30-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Hi
took the car in on the Tuesday AM, they gave a loan car, drove home 30mins, when I got in the phone rang, to say that I could pick the car up, it was not fixed as they had to order the parts. So within 30 mins of giving them the car it was diagnosed and parts ordered, want back a week later, this time they had the cars for 2 days to do the work, picked the car up all repaired, and they even put a nice scratch down the drivers door, complained to service manager, car was sent to the body shop that day, so had the loan car another day. But I must say there was not argument about the ABS or the scratch,
:approve:
AVAGO