PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Slipping Clutch (or my imagination?!) Golf mk4 130

Richvw22
15-08-2008, 10:00 AM
First post on here (exciting for me at least ;-) ).... had a trawl through some of the other clutch posts and couldn't get a definative answer so thought I'd ask your advice...

It felt like my clutch slipped while accelerating in 3rd gear at full acceleration - while in gear the revs chased up from 2000rpm to about 2600rpm without the speed increasing (then I took my foot off the accelerator and eased it back on fine).

On the same journey I tried to get it to slip again to make sure I'm not imagining it but it wouldn't do it again in any gear no matter how hard I tried.

Took it to a local clutch place this morning and after a 5min look / play they said there is nothing wrong with it. On the way back from then I got it to slip just a tiny tiny amount in 5th gear (2000rpm-2300rpm) but it still pulls fine all the rest of the time.

Right, enough random chat - questions!...
Is it really my clutch about to go or could it be anything else?
How long will it take to completely wear out and leave me stranded?

For info the car is a mk4 golf 130bhp with 110k on the clock, don't think the clutch has been changed before.

Cheers!

mon21x
15-08-2008, 11:35 AM
I had this a while ago on my 150 tdi. The gearbox seal was leaking causing oil contamination on the clutch. It will slip slightly until it burns the oil off, than be ok again for a while but it gradually got worse, and once the clutch plate is contaminated with oil it has to be changed, bit of a pain considering the seal was less than 2 quid!!!

Richvw22
16-08-2008, 12:22 PM
So it started slipping a bit more in 4th, 5th and 6th gears at around 2000rpm, not for much at a time but still very annoying.

Took it to a local clutch place this morning who quoted me £360 all in to get a new clutch fitted, but after taking it all apart he now wants an extra £160 for the hydraulic unit, £350 for a new dual mass flywheel and £30 to tap a bolt he broke off (the cheek!).

So that comes to about £900 for the lot, ouch :-(

Is that about right, pricewise, or is he taking me for a ride?

herby0001
16-08-2008, 03:38 PM
...and £30 to tap a bolt he broke off (the cheek!).

Since he snapped it off, I would have thought it'd be his problem to sort out.

STEWY L
16-08-2008, 04:09 PM
So it started slipping a bit more in 4th, 5th and 6th gears at around 2000rpm, not for much at a time but still very annoying.

Took it to a local clutch place this morning who quoted me £360 all in to get a new clutch fitted, but after taking it all apart he now wants an extra £160 for the hydraulic unit, £350 for a new dual mass flywheel and £30 to tap a bolt he broke off (the cheek!).

Since he snapped it off, I would have thought it'd be his problem to sort out.
so, you get home after work, or, a good night out.
you put the key in the door.
what are your choices after doing that?
do you turn it to open the door?
or do you say to yourself "i won't turn it in case it snaps"?
for christs sake, what's all this crap lately about coming down on the
mechanic who's trying to help you?
trust the guy.
he is only there to help.
regards,
stewy.

speed12
16-08-2008, 06:03 PM
To be fair i think some garages would sort it themselves, but really it depends, did it snap when he was undoing it (Likely) or snap when he was re tightening, if it snapped whilst undoing then it would snap with anyone. If he over tightened it and snapped it then its his fault.

If it was a main VW dealer, I would demand they pay for it, however if it were a local place i would probably cough up.

FLENG2008
18-08-2008, 01:31 PM

i have exactly the same problem, just had the slave changed and now the clutch seems to slip only slightly in 3rd 4th etc @2000rpm, i took it back to the garage and they fobbed me off saying that it maybe slight bit of oil on the clutch and it should burn off, come back in 2 days if its not sorted itself.

i tho that when the clutch has been contaminated then its useless?
or would a tin of clutch and brake cleaner sort it?