PDA

View Full Version : fuel pumps

gixxerk4600
15-08-2008, 09:22 AM
is it just my car or a silly design? when filling up with petrol, the pump nozzle has the be turned upside-down to fit in the fuel filler. if i dont do that then the pump always stops as if its telling me its full?!

omegadirective
15-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Just your car! Lol. Mine fills up no problem at all. Do you always use the same pump/station? If so try another one...?

If not, maybe you have something stuck on the inside that is triggering the nozzle sensor. Maybe have a look for that? If not, just enjoy the high off the petrol fumes! :)

gixxerk4600
15-08-2008, 10:09 AM
ive tried 6 maybe seven different pumps! all do the same! unless my fuel filler is upside down

omegadirective
15-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Might be upside down then, but I thought they'd only fit in one way? Maybe not though. :s

Someone on here should know whether it's an easy job to rotate it, if thats whats wrong.

You must get some pretty strange looks at the pumps! :p

gixxerk4600
15-08-2008, 04:05 PM
i do! have to get the fuel pump hose over my shoulder! look like an idiot!

whitegoosedown
04-09-2008, 08:58 AM
The first time I tried to fill up I couldn't get the pump to work.

I have found that if you don't push the nozzle in all the way and maybe hold it back an inch it works.

It's something to do with the shape of the inlet on the car causing splash back up the fuel pump nozzle. As the pump is feeling splash back it thinks the tank is full and so shuts off. If you keep the nozzle back a bit the splash back doesn't reach the shut off sensor so keeps sending fuel.

Sorry for the many innuendos throughout this post.