PDA

View Full Version : 1.8T Clutch Problem

riemans
14-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi. I have a 1.8T Golf (AUM). When trying to engage reverse - it crunches - to the point that I don't put it into reverse without switching off the engine....

You can make it slip under power - combined with a slight juddering. All the other gears select fine.

Replaced slave cylinder as a precaution (and as it's a very quick / cheap job!), bled, and....still the problem remains.

I am now suspecting replacement clutch necessary, but wonder if I ought to eliminate master cylinder from the equation. Pedal looks fine (as in not broken which I believe is quite common), actuator rod is straight. Only other clue which I assume could be a red herring is that upon diagnosis, I'm getting a 'Clutch pedal switch implausible signal'.

Additionally - there is a 'rubbery creak' (?!) from the gearbox / bellhousing when you derpress and release the clutch.

Any help would be much appreciated before the gearbox gets dropped!

Crasher
14-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Yes that sounds like a slipping clutch and a weak pressure plate, which will be the noise. When you do it, you must fit a new dual mass flywheel (so a full LUK clutch/flywheel assembly makes sense) and I always replace the release bearing guide sleeve as well as the bearing If it is re-mapped, you could consider a solid flywheel and Sachs Sporting upgrade to the clutch but it is pricey and the pedal weight is quite high.