PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Vento Diesel Suddenly Dropping power

teddyracingcouk
13-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Hi All,

I have like to work on my cars instead of taking to a garage. Now I have a problem with my partner's car which is a VW Vento 1.9 TDi.

The problem I have is you can drive the car normally not a problem but all of a suddern you get a drop in power where the turbo kicks in. I have spoken to someone (but can not remember who) and one thing they said try when this happens is turn the engine off and back on - when doing this the power comes back for a bit and then drops off.

The question is - what is doing this and how do I sort it?

Any help on this would be much appricated as this is the first car I have worked on that is diesel, has a turbo and has injectors.

tdi miki
22-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Hi
the problem as you describe it should be the vanes on the turbo. that is known problem on vw. they get dirty and then tend to stick so the ecu shuts the turbo off to prevent it from overcharging. it would help to know what year is the car and what is the engine code. the three letters before engine number

teddyracingcouk
23-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Hi TDi Miki,

Thank you for your reply, the Vento is 1997 R Reg.

The Engine code is AHU.

What you hve decribed makes sense, I must admit I first thought it might be a alve opening to release the pressure and not closing.

How do I go about cleaning them? Is it a matter of taking the turbo off and blowing clean with an air line or is there something else I need to do?

Thank you for your help in advance.